Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number in the US

Social Security Number in the US

Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number in the US

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Interest accounts" ..... like 0.1%, or high interest ..... 0.25%!
Tell me about it. I usually leave $10k or so lying about in a money market account in case we need cash quick. No 1099 on that for the last few years!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

"Noted", for sure, but not "reported" - such a large transaction would/ should flag it for review by a bank (internal) compliance officer who reviews bank records and any available external reports, before determining whether the transaction(s) are suspicious, and filing the legally required (if determined to be suspicious) report. So, be sure to tell the bank of any large transactions you're expecting when you open the a/c - transaction documented as expected is much less likely to be reported as suspicious.
Agreed. My point, which I think you are supporting, was that the bank looks for suspicious activity, they do not determine illegal activity. It works exactly the same way as when they detect suspicious activity on your account, eg I got a call regarding 3 gas station charges out of state. The bank analysed it as suspicious/out of character. It was, my card had been cloned. I was able to stop the 3rd payment, and reclaim the other 2.
All of which is off topic.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

"Noted", for sure, but not "reported" - such a large transaction would/ should flag it for review by a bank (internal) compliance officer who reviews bank records and any available external reports, before determining whether the transaction(s) are suspicious, and filing the legally required (if determined to be suspicious) report. So, be sure to tell the bank of any large transactions you're expecting when you open the a/c - transaction documented as expected is much less likely to be reported as suspicious.
And BTW almost exactly the same monitoring and reporting requirements exist for banks in the UK, ..... and are similar in all industrialized countries.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, I convinced the bank that they could use my credit history to identify me, they have sorted out my credit card. Miracles do happen.

Although to get hold of the right person I had to use Skype because their 800 number is blocked from Canada.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Tell me about it. I usually leave $10k or so lying about in a money market account in case we need cash quick. No 1099 on that for the last few years!
Hmm, they always send me a 1042-S even for teeny amounts. Had one for as little as $18.

Here's a question absolutely nobody will know the answer to - I don't have to report US-source bank interest to the IRS (i.e. on a 1040NR), but if I have to file a 1040NR for some unrelated reason, do I have to include one of the copies of my 1042-S?

On the form (which is an IRS form, not a bank made-up form like the 1099s they often use) it has copy C, attach to any federal return filed, in the 1040NR instructions it says not to do it.