British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Social Security Number in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-number-us-771748/)

KarenLB Sep 16th 2012 3:10 pm

Social Security Number in the US

Can anyone tell the me process for getting a Social Security number in the US/where to apply and roughly how long it takes.

Thanks in advance

Bayleaf_01 Sep 16th 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Social Security Number in the US

Originally Posted by KarenLB (Post 10283624)
Can anyone tell the me process for getting a Social Security number in the US/where to apply and roughly how long it takes.

Thanks in advance

That all depends on the type of visa you have. Usually go to social security office in person 10 days after you arrive.

KarenLB Sep 16th 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 10283630)
That all depends on the type of visa you have. Usually go to social security office in person 10 days after you arrive.

Going through the Fiancee Visa process now and just thinking ahead, I know I will need to get one as soon as possible once I get to the US :fingerscrossed:
Mainly to open a bank account so I can transfer funds etc.

CAdreaming Sep 16th 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by KarenLB (Post 10283640)
Going through the Fiancee Visa process now and just thinking ahead, I know I will need to get one as soon as possible once I get to the US :fingerscrossed:

I didn't need one to open up an account

BubbleChog Sep 16th 2012 3:52 pm

I didn't need one to open my bank accounts etc either on my K1 Visa.

I took my passport with visa, birth certificate and Wedding certificate and wedding license showing my name change to my local office, filled in the form and they posted it out to me.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html#a0=1

fatbrit Sep 16th 2012 3:59 pm

There is no requirement in law to provide a SSN to open a bank account.

ian-mstm Sep 16th 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by KarenLB (Post 10283624)

About 10 business days after you enter the US, go to your local SSA office and complete form SS-5. As long as you can be verified in the SAVE system (hint = Google is your friend), your SS card and number will be issued within a couple of weeks. If you go to the office too soon, you won't yet be in the system and it'll take 8-10 weeks or more to verify you manually... so just wait a bit!

The others are correct - you don't need a SSN to open a bank account in the US. What you do need, is a "unique identifier"... such as your passport.

Ian

md95065 Sep 16th 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10283738)
The others are correct - you don't need a SSN to open a bank account in the US. What you do need, is a "unique identifier"... such as your passport.

... and a bank employee who understands that you don't need a social security number to open an account ... :sneaky:

xathras Sep 16th 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Karen,

I arrived in the US on December 12th. I left it a week before applying for my social security number and it arrived 28th January. Not too long consider all the Holidays during that time.

I was however, able to get a bank with Chase without a SSN number. Giving them proof of my Visa and Application for a Social Security Number. My UK drivers license and ID was sufficient.

Regards
Wayne

GeoffM Sep 17th 2012 2:54 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10283738)
About 10 business days after you enter the US, go to your local SSA office and complete form SS-5.

This is only relevant if the particular forms you filled in for the visa didn't include the option to have one issued automatically. In my case I arrived on the Thursday, the number was issued on the Friday (unbeknownest to me), I checked in on the Wednesday to find that the card had already been mailed on Monday (and received the number there and then), which arrived on Friday - ie 8 calendar days after entering the US to actually receive the card.

The point is to actually avoid going in to manual processing. If you're not in the SAVE system then wait for the 10 days mentioned. If you're not in by then, then you need to start asking what has (not) happened. If none of the forms you filled in offered the option to have a SSN issued then you need to fill in the form he mentioned - or sometimes that particular option on the form you filled in is overlooked and you need to provoke them.

But in any case, as already mentioned, you do not need it for the bank account (I went in on day 2 and the employee had to phone head office but was otherwise unpurturbed at the lack of SSN). Any employer ought to be able to fill in a dummy number for payroll purposes until you receive your own number.

KarenLB Sep 17th 2012 6:04 am

Thankyou everyone for your advice much appreciated :D

LonelyCloud Sep 17th 2012 7:38 am

The other option and the one i'm looking at is seeing if your bank has branches in the states and will transfer the account for you.

Bob Sep 17th 2012 7:20 pm

Bank doesn't need a SSN to open an account, but if they've got a shit system that needs one, they can use 000-00-0004, it's the generic number for johnny foreigner who doesn't have a number, and they can update it when you get it.

RICH Sep 18th 2012 12:19 am

US banks are required to report "suspicious activity" under the Patriot act. Opening an account is not inherently suspicious, but the account activity will be monitored to some extent. So for example, if you open an account and transfer in the proceeds of your uk house sale or life savings and immediately transfer to your spouses account, it would be noted. Regular day to day activity is not a concern unless you have "one of those names"

Also, they will likely hound you for your SSN at a later date. Which in turn will contribute towards (or against) your credit rating.

ian-mstm Sep 18th 2012 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10286043)
US banks are required to report "suspicious activity" under the Patriot act.

Yes... but they report the activity to the Department of the Treasury... not US immigration. That falls in line with the RICO laws.

Ian