Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number: Turnaround time

Social Security Number: Turnaround time

Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:32 am
Just Joined

DukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really nice
Default Social Security Number: Turnaround time

Hi,

I'm not sure that this deserves it's own thread, but I thought that the information should be documented somewhere.

I'm in Northern Virginia - I went to the Fairfax Social Security Offices last Thursday (14th Oct 2010) and applied for my Social Security Number and card. It took about 30 minutes of waiting and 10 minutes of going through the information.

The administrator dealing with it only looked at my passport and visa, I gave my address as my work address because I didn't know how long it would take to arrive and would be out of temporary accommodation by the end of the month.

However, saying all that - my Social Security Card came through in yesterdays post! Which I make that 2 1/2 working days, much less than the 2 weeks I was expecting (and was told). So, not sure if I just fell lucky or whether it's a slow month and they don't have a backlog, but I'm happy as I can get - just have to find somewhere to live and buy a car with the tiny amount of money I actually have!

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number: Turnaround time

Originally Posted by DukeGuy
Hi,

I'm not sure that this deserves it's own thread, but I thought that the information should be documented somewhere.

I'm in Northern Virginia - I went to the Fairfax Social Security Offices last Thursday (14th Oct 2010) and applied for my Social Security Number and card. It took about 30 minutes of waiting and 10 minutes of going through the information.

The administrator dealing with it only looked at my passport and visa, I gave my address as my work address because I didn't know how long it would take to arrive and would be out of temporary accommodation by the end of the month.

However, saying all that - my Social Security Card came through in yesterdays post! Which I make that 2 1/2 working days, much less than the 2 weeks I was expecting (and was told). So, not sure if I just fell lucky or whether it's a slow month and they don't have a backlog, but I'm happy as I can get - just have to find somewhere to live and buy a car with the tiny amount of money I actually have!

Anyone else had a similar experience?
East Bay Area - 30 mins to be served, 5 mins for application and SSN arrived exactly 7 calendar days after. I was not counting on it for 3-4 weeks.

2.5 days though, is some kinda record!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:03 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Ohio - 2007 took about 3 weeks to arrive.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Way back when...about an hours waiting, got the number soon enough but 6 weeks for the actual card.

When I got the greencard and the faff removed from the card, did it visiting the in-laws and went through Watervile, ME, took less than 10 mins to get seen and the new card arrived in a couple weeks.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

My experience ...

I went to the downtown/Chinatown Seattle SSN office at 9:15AM and was called before I even sat down!
Took maybe 10mins for her to type in the stuff I had filled in on that SSN application form and she also looked at my passport. Didn't ask for any other documentation.
Went to a different SSN office two days later and got a print out of my SSN, signed and stamped.

Haven't received the car yet, but I only visited the 1st office last Weds so not yet a week.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
My experience ...

I went to the downtown/Chinatown Seattle SSN office at 9:15AM and was called before I even sat down!
Took maybe 10mins for her to type in the stuff I had filled in on that SSN application form and she also looked at my passport. Didn't ask for any other documentation.
Went to a different SSN office two days later and got a print out of my SSN, signed and stamped.

Haven't received the car yet, but I only visited the 1st office last Weds so not yet a week.
Pretty much my experience. I went on a Friday and was told I could come back on Monday if I needed the SSN. I got it in the post in 5 working days anyway.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:05 am
Just Joined

jgf52 is an unknown quantity at this point

NJ 10 days (5 working - Thanksgiving period) and counting..........
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

_Orpheus_ is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I applied for my SSN at the beginning of the month and was told 10 working days (must have applied at the END of last month as I was told it should be the 10th of December). I phoned up today to see if there was anyway I could obtain my number as I need it for, you know, everything! and I was told that apparently they are still awaiting confirmation for imigration and that this could take up to 30 days! WTF!

I havent even got a car to get to work
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Orpheus_
Hi Guys,

I applied for my SSN at the beginning of the month and was told 10 working days (must have applied at the END of last month as I was told it should be the 10th of December). I phoned up today to see if there was anyway I could obtain my number as I need it for, you know, everything! and I was told that apparently they are still awaiting confirmation for imigration and that this could take up to 30 days! WTF!

I havent even got a car to get to work
You should wait 10 days after entering to go and make your application. If you are verified in the system (and chances aer good if you wait the 10 days), you can get your number back in person the next day.

What you need to do is make sure they got your status verified.

Yes, it can take 30 days.
It's unclear from your post when your entry/application was, so I don't have any follow up information for you.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Well I just checked the print out that I got from the SSN office and the date was the 29th November. I wanted to take my driving test and they refused me without my SSN so I thought that I had been in the country long enough for it to be okay (forgot that I was counting days not working days).

When I applied I was told 10 days (10th December, this coming Friday) but when I phoned up earlier they told me that they were still waiting to hear from immigration and that it could take up to 30 days.

Iv been in the country since the 20th of November. This sucks as I really wanted to take my driving test and I dont even know if I can get a car lease without SSN? (I have someone co-signing for me, will that help) And my credit card will have to be re-applied for as they couldnt process it without my number

*EDIT*
In fact, I just re-read the printed sheet I have and it says that the verification of my documents "may" take up to four weeks. Can I assume that this is just the official angle on things and that it should (in theory) be quicker?

Last edited by _Orpheus_; Dec 6th 2010 at 5:27 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I just checked the print out that I got from the SSN office and the date was the 29th November. I wanted to take my driving test and they refused me without my SSN so I thought that I had been in the country long enough for it to be okay (forgot that I was counting days not working days).

When I applied I was told 10 days (10th December, this coming Friday) but when I phoned up earlier they told me that they were still waiting to hear from immigration and that it could take up to 30 days.

Iv been in the country since the 20th of November. This sucks as I really wanted to take my driving test and I dont even know if I can get a car lease without SSN? (I have someone co-signing for me, will that help) And my credit card will have to be re-applied for as they couldnt process it without my number

*EDIT*
In fact, I just re-read the printed sheet I have and it says that the verification of my documents "may" take up to four weeks. Can I assume that this is just the official angle on things and that it should (in theory) be quicker?

Nobody can tell you how long it can take. No majic 8 ball here sorry.

I think you are trying to do too many things too quickly - easier said than done I guess. I am positive that you want to settle down quickly but these things take time. Without SSN you are not going anywhere so I suggest you wait up a bit.

I do think the 4 weeks is more of a guide. It can take less than that but could take more time than that.

Welcome to America.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate the sentiment and plenty of people have echoed it, but its less through want, and more through need. I started my job on Dec 1st and I live a good 30 minute drive away. My hotel is in the middle of no-where and my girlfriend is coming over to stay in a few weeks. Im also meant to be moving into my apartment pretty soon. So you can see the need for some means of transport, especially so close to xmas.

I will just have to wait it out. I hate my life being in someone elses hands, I thought that ended when I finally got my visa. Obviously not.

And cheers. I love it here. Bring on the big chill and Go Redwings!!

Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

*EDIT*
Call once per week and make sure they are doing the 'manual verification' of your application.
If they don't find you in the SAVE system on the first try, they are supposed to call in DAILY to see if they can verify your status.

But it's really only been one week since you applied.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Call once per week and make sure they are doing the 'manual verification' of your application.
If they don't find you in the SAVE system on the first try, they are supposed to call in DAILY to see if they can verify your status.

But it's really only been one week since you applied.
When you say "they", is that my local office or the main SS Administration?

Cheers guys
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to share my own experience: My fiance came to the USA on a K-1 visa and we waited the 10 days to go apply for his SSN. He also needed manual verification done (his was because of his nationality). It took 8 weeks to get the manual verification done, and he got his SS card in the mail 2 weeks later, so 10 weeks total waiting time, from the day he applied. This was back in 2004.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.