Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number...number to call?

Social Security Number...number to call?

Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

JinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Number...number to call?

So, we had our appt with the social security office last week to apply (we're on L1/L2 visas so didn't get them applied for automatically), but it seems EVERYWHERE wants your SSN (mobile phone, cox, banks, etc)

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can call after a few days to ask for your SSN, despite it taking 10 days to process.

Could one of you good people please let me know if that actually exists or not? I found one number, but you had to enter your SSN to talk to someone - so that didn't seem right...

Can I maybe go into the office to ask for it early, or is it just a case of sitting and waiting for the mail?

Thanks!
Cat
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

JinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number...number to call?

Hmm, I'm guessing from the lack of responses that it's just a wait 10 days thing then?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can go back now in person to get the number. You still have to wait for the card to come in the mail. They are not supposed to give your SSN over the phone because they can't verify your identity.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:53 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait. Even if you know the number, it likely won't filter into the public domain and be useful to you till you have the card in hand (not that you have to EVER show it to anyone IME).
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

I did this in Harrisburg, PA. I made my initial application on the Friday and was told to call in a few days, but they actually gave me the local office number. Called Tuesday and 'collected' my number that afternoon. Had to find the person who told me to do it this way as the original person processing my request on my return did not think it was possible or allowable to do it.

I was then able to use this number on some paperwork we were processing for the house and also for my employer.

Maybe saved just under a week in the process as my card was delivered on the following Monday. So looking at the date of the OP it may not actually speed the process up, unless you can get to the office today.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I went back a few days later a got a printout of the number and waited on the actual card.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 4:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the number ahead of time does not speed up the process of mailing the card out (to my knowledge), it's just helpful if you need the number to fill our forms and such.

Rene