Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number not arrived

Social Security Number not arrived

Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

ParagonGreeny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number not arrived

Hi all, so i moved to the US from the UK 1 year ago this month and i still haven't received my social security number, my green card is here but not the social security.

I know on one of the forms i had to fill in for my CR1 visa there was a box i had to tick to say i want one and i did that but it never arrived.

I believe COVID has closed the offices so how should i go about fixing this, anyone else had any problems like this?
Old Jan 9th 2021, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number not arrived

Originally Posted by ParagonGreeny
Hi all, so i moved to the US from the UK 1 year ago this month and i still haven't received my social security number, my green card is here but not the social security.

I know on one of the forms i had to fill in for my CR1 visa there was a box i had to tick to say i want one and i did that but it never arrived.

I believe COVID has closed the offices so how should i go about fixing this, anyone else had any problems like this?
Never heard of anything like this. Do you have an attorney who can follow up on your behalf?
Old Jan 9th 2021, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

i don't unfortunately and i did all my visa stuff myself.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most people visit their local Social Security office within a month of arriving to process the application for a Social Security number.
Never heard of it taking a year
How have you manged to work, pay taxes and/or get health insurance? These entitities would have been chasing for your SS number usually.
Have you checked to see if your local Social Security office is open.? My local one has restricted times but one can make an appointment with them.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jan 9th 2021 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

i haven't done any while waiting for SS number, no insurance or job. My wife told me all the offices were closed due to COVID. My green card took about 4 or 5 months to arrive and i figured my SS would be around the same time and delays were due to COVID.

Got all my stuff together and will give them a call when they open Monday and see what they want me to do.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 9:27 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure you have to go to the Social Security Office to get it and so long as you have all the necessary paperwork with you, they will mail it out very quickly. That is what I did when I arrived, but that was a long time ago. However I had family arrive in mid September this year and they went to the local Social Security Office and received their numbers in the mail a week later. The local office was not “open” per se but you could book an appointment online and then you had to wait in your car when you arrived until they called you in. The paperwork requirements should be on the SS site but as I recall it was basically my Visa paperwork, and passport. None of us used attorneys anywhere in the process. I think you will find it very straight forward.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jan 9th 2021 at 9:31 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 8:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is mind-boggling how long people wait to correct a situation. If the SS card had not arrived within 4 weeks you should have gone immediately to the nearest SS Office to check on its status. Unfortunately, just because it was applied for does not mean that it will automatically be given to the correct department or will be acted upon.

The SS Offices are now open. Take your passport, green card and go there and see what's what.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Update:
Tried getting in touch with them on the 11th, didn't end up getting through and finally getting a call back until the 14th for them to tell me they received all the paperwork for my SS and it had gone through that very morning. Seems a little odd that the day i get in touch with them is the day it finally goes through before i even spoke to them. I was told delay was due to COVID and it could take up to a month to arrive again due to COVID
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 4:45 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ParagonGreeny
Update:
Tried getting in touch with them on the 11th, didn't end up getting through and finally getting a call back until the 14th for them to tell me they received all the paperwork for my SS and it had gone through that very morning. Seems a little odd that the day i get in touch with them is the day it finally goes through before i even spoke to them. I was told delay was due to COVID and it could take up to a month to arrive again due to COVID
I had tax residence certificates that were apparently processed pre CV19 and left in the mail out tray for months because the department closed for CV19... may sound crazy and make no sense but is probably true