British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Social Security Number Not Accepted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-number-not-accepted-484149/)

epymsam Sep 28th 2007 6:12 pm

Social Security Number Not Accepted

Has anyone ever had an experience of where a bank will not update your records with a SSN? I moved from the UK to the US on a L1. I managed to get an account opened through HSBC before I moved over. I have recently received my SSN marked as they are with "Only valid for work with DHS authorization". When I took it to HSBC they told me that they cannot update my records as I'm not a permanent resident! Weird! How the hell do I go about building a credit history is the credit reference agencies all key off my SSN?

Anyone any experience of this?

Elvira Sep 28th 2007 6:14 pm

Re: Social Security Number Not Accepted

Originally Posted by epymsam (Post 5365396)
Has anyone ever had an experience of where a bank will not update your records with a SSN? I moved from the UK to the US on a L1. I managed to get an account opened through HSBC before I moved over. I have recently received my SSN marked as they are with "Only valid for work with DHS authorization". When I took it to HSBC they told me that they cannot update my records as I'm not a permanent resident! Weird! How the hell do I go about building a credit history is the credit reference agencies all key off my SSN?

The person you dealt with was an idiot.

Go back and insist on speaking to someone higher up.

Ray Sep 28th 2007 6:29 pm

As elvira says ... but never show your card ... just memorise the number ...

epymsam Sep 28th 2007 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5365501)
As elvira says ... but never show your card ... just memories the number ...

But the guy called branch support, called some other guys in HSBC and they all said that they shouldn't accept it. Its bonkers! I pay federal, state, social and medicare. What the hell is going on?!

Elvira Sep 28th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by epymsam (Post 5365514)
But the guy called branch support, called some other guys in HSBC and they all said that they shouldn't accept it. Its bonkers! I pay federal, state, social and medicare. What the hell is going on?!

Insist on speaking to a VP or higher - all the rest are just drones.

CaliforniaBride Sep 28th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5365501)
..... memories...

Midnight.
Not a sound from the pavement.
Has the moon lost her mem'ry?
She is smiling alone.
In the lamp-light the withered leaves collect at my feet.
And the wind... begins to moan.

Mem'ry.
All alone in the moonlight... I can smile at the the old days,
Life was beautiful then...
I remember the time I knew what happiness was,
Let the mem'ry live again.

Every street lamp seems to beat a fatalistic.. warning.
Someone mutters and a street lamp smutters
and soon it will be morning.

Daylight.
I must wait for the sunrise, I must think of a new life
And I mustn't give in.
When the dawn comes tonight will be a memory too.
And a new day will begin.

Burnt out ends of smoky days the stale cold smell of morning.
A street lamp dies, another night is over.
Another day is dawning.

Touch me.
It's so easy to leave me, All alone with the mem'ry
of my days in the sun.
If you touch me you'll understand what happiness is.
Look, a new day has begun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJHzoAmA8Ec

lapin_windstar Sep 28th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by epymsam (Post 5365514)
What the hell is going on?!

They're talking through their trousers.

Just write/email them with the number.

epymsam Sep 28th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5365524)
Insist on speaking to a VP or higher - all the rest are just drones.

I'll just try another branch. It'll all work out I'm sure

rew1000 Sep 28th 2007 7:31 pm

You could try handing them a W9 form:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Note that in certain circumstances it can take a while after you arrive for you to become a "US Resident Alien" for IRS purposes.
(See IRS pub 519 for full gory details http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf)

mdyoung Sep 28th 2007 10:20 pm

You sure it was due to the type of card you have or was it that they couldn't verify your number as being valid?

SSA puts out a High Group list that shows the highest Group within each SSN Area that has been issued. Some businesses use the list to verify SSNs as being valid. Since you say you were just assigned your SSN so it might not be on the Sept 2007 list and that's why they wouldn't accept the number. See if it is on the current list. If it is and it has an * next to it that means it showed up on the list for the first time and the bank is using an old list. If it's not there see if it's on the next list.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnvhighgroup.htm

Area Group Serial (AAA-GG-SSSS)

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnweb.htm

AmerLisa Sep 29th 2007 1:39 pm

My husband had problems getting Verizon to accept his SSN number as valid when we first moved over. They kept telling him it wasn't a valid number because those numbers weren't in the system.....:rolleyes: Even though you could go on the Social Security website and clearly see that the first three digits of his SSN were indeed valid. Morons.....

Ray Sep 29th 2007 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 5367875)
My husband had problems getting Verizon to accept his SSN number as valid when we first moved over. They kept telling him it wasn't a valid number because those numbers weren't in the system.....:rolleyes: Even though you could go on the Social Security website and clearly see that the first three digits of his SSN were indeed valid. Morons.....

I bet it starts with a seven

AmerLisa Sep 29th 2007 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5367930)
I bet it starts with a seven

I bet you're right......;)

Ray Sep 29th 2007 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 5367941)
I bet you're right......;)

Its a common problem ...

AmerLisa Sep 29th 2007 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5367952)
Its a common problem ...

Thankfully not an issue anymore.....but we do feel like slaves to our FICA scores now....:rolleyes: