Reload this Page >

Social Security number for K1

Social Security number for K1

Old Jul 4th 2006, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Synthesis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security number for K1

Hi there,

I arrived on my K-1, got married, haven't yet sent off my AOS package with application for work authorization. However, I need an SSN pronto because I can't get on my husband's health insurance without it, and it asks for it on some of the AOS forms.

I downloaded the SS-5 form, do I tick the Legal Alien Not Allowed To Work box since I have no work auth yet? If I do that, they want a reason that I need it. Will my above mentioned reasons be good enough?

I won't have to wait until I get work authorization to get an SSN card, will I? I really hope not...

-Synth
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security number for K1

Originally Posted by Synthesis
Hi there,

I arrived on my K-1, got married, haven't yet sent off my AOS package with application for work authorization. However, I need an SSN pronto because I can't get on my husband's health insurance without it, and it asks for it on some of the AOS forms.

I downloaded the SS-5 form, do I tick the Legal Alien Not Allowed To Work box since I have no work auth yet? If I do that, they want a reason that I need it. Will my above mentioned reasons be good enough?

I won't have to wait until I get work authorization to get an SSN card, will I? I really hope not...
It's a bit late now, but it would have been a lot quicker to have gotten if you applied for it before getting married...now you'll have to wait to get your EAD pretty much...but surely the insurance don't need the number, they can't really ask for it anyway, just a way of ID'ing you, so ask if a passport number will do?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security number for K1

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a bit late now, but it would have been a lot quicker to have gotten if you applied for it before getting married...now you'll have to wait to get your EAD pretty much...but surely the insurance don't need the number, they can't really ask for it anyway, just a way of ID'ing you, so ask if a passport number will do?
Absolutely. Insurance companies are moving away from "contaminated" data where SSNs are used, and spending a lot of money moving to systems with unique IDs that aren't SSNs. Other companies are following suit.

I would check with your state insurance board to see if you can get some advice; also talk to customer service at the insurance company.