Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is a Social Security Number forever?

Is a Social Security Number forever?

Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

welykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant future
Question Is a Social Security Number forever?

Just had a thought if we leave the US but do return on a different visa would our social security numbers be valid? Also If dh continues to be employed by US company while we are in the UK does that affect it.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum I did a search but couldn't see anything relevant.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:10 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is a Social Security Number forever?

Yes, you keep the same SSN number unless someone steals it (Identity theft) and you need a new one......
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:16 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welykuk
Just had a thought if we leave the US but do return on a different visa would our social security numbers be valid? Also If dh continues to be employed by US company while we are in the UK does that affect it.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum I did a search but couldn't see anything relevant.
Your SSN never changes, regardless of whether you leave the country or not, change companies, etc. Once you have it, you're stuck with it.

In fact, the ONLY time your SSN might change is if you're a victim of identity theft -- losing the card and/or the number itself is not reason enough for them to allow you to change your SSN, you have to prove someone is actually using it fraudulently. The Social Security Administration's website talks briefly about this.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

welykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant future

Thanks for that. One less thing to think about.