Reload this Page >

Social Security Number for F1 Student

Social Security Number for F1 Student

Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Midnightbacardi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number for F1 Student

Hi All,

My daughter is currently a F1 student at nursing school. She is currently taking her LPN course and will finish this year. Her teachers (her as well) want her to continue and take the RN course.

Obviously as a F1 student, she is not allowed a Social Security number because she is not allowed to work except on Campus. However for the RN course, the student must have their LPN License. You cannot get your LPN License without a Social Security Number.

I know you can work for up to a year after you finish your studies but can you obtain a social security number to actually enter a program. The reason being they have to have their license is for the clinicals they will be doing in a hospital (unpaid).

Has anyone come across this before or have an answer.

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number for F1 Student

Originally Posted by Midnightbacardi
Obviously as a F1 student, she is not allowed a Social Security number because she is not allowed to work except on Campus.
This is not obvious at all.

Has anyone come across this before or have an answer.
If she is definitely not allowed to get a SSN, then she qualifies for an ITIN. Like the SSN, the ITIN is a "unique identifier" and should fit the bill for her future studies.

Note though, that she must be incapable of getting a SSN... not just "not able to get one right now". It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 29th 2010 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Midnightbacardi
Hi All,

Obviously as a F1 student, she is not allowed a Social Security number because she is not allowed to work except on Campus.

Thanks
Technically speaking she is not prohibited from obtaining a SSN; by your own admission she could apply for a SSN simply by gaining on-campus employment.

FWIW, your daughter may be able to get a SSN if she can prove that she needs one for a valid non-work reason. The key word is "valid", and I do not know what falls under this category and what does not, but it may be worth enquiring about.

If not, then Ian's suggestions of the ITIN may be adequate to apply for the license. I believe that it is form W-7 that you need to file to request a number.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Does she have an international student adviser at the school? She should be able to apply for an SSN with the right document from the school.
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
the designated school official's annotation on Form I-20 A-B for certain F-1s or documentation of on-campus work (see RM 00203.470); or

Of course, she may not be the right type of 'certain F-1s' but the school would be the ones to assist her with this.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:16 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

It's possible to get SSN as a F-1 Student, and applying for one will be useful not just for employment, but for many other things as well.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Midnightbacardi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the information. I am currently waiting for some information from my State Representatives office. When I work everything out I will post again with an update.