Reload this Page >

Social Security Number for E-3 holders

Social Security Number for E-3 holders

Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

laoniu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number for E-3 holders

Hi,

I am an E-3 holder and currently in U.S. When I went to apply SSN, I was told to wait as they need to verify the visa information. Without SSN, I can't even get a driver's licence. Anyone has this experience? How long does it take?

Also, I went to immigration office to apply work permisson for my wife (E-3D). They seem don't know about E-3 at all and told us they can't even accept the filing of I-765 application.
Very strange, since social security office said she has to get work permission from the immigration first. I then called immigration office, they said I can file online. However, the online form doesn't have E-3 option at all. Could anyone solve the puzzle?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

thething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nice
Default Re: Social Security Number for E-3 holders

What state are you in? Very few states require an SSN for a drivers license. If so, I would get that statement in writing and then drive with your Oz license. The US does recognize Oz licenses for non-residents, and you would have a very good case if they refuse to give you a US one.

I would file the EAD form (I-765) from http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm for your wife to work via mail to your local USCIS service centre. Readh the section for 'Spouse of an E1/E2 treaty trader' on page 3. Don't bother about going to a USCIS office as you can guarantee they won't know what to do.

Once you have an approved EAD for her, then she can go to Social Security.

I got my SSN issued within a week or two when I applied with my H1. It shouldn't take you much longer in theory, but since it's a new visa, it's hard to say.

Last edited by thething; Jan 4th 2006 at 9:24 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:31 pm
Kevin Keane

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

laoniu wrote:

>
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am an E-3 holder and currently in U.S. When I went to apply SSN, I was
    > told to wait as they need to verify the visa information. Without SSN, I
    > can't even get a driver's licence. Anyone has this experience? How long
    > does it take?

This is normal; they do that to all non-immigrants. I don't know how long it
takes. With E-3 being so new, there could be additional delays.

> Also, I went to immigration office to apply work permisson for my wife
    > (E-3D). They seem don't know about E-3 at all and told us they can't
    > even accept the filing of I-765 application.

I'm not familiar enough with E-3. Are spouses of E-3 holders entitled to
work authorization?

> Very strange, since social security office said she has to get work
    > permission from the immigration first.

They are right. Unfortunately, that leaves many people stranded. H-4s, for
instance, aren't entitled to a driver's license in most states.

No work authorization = no driving. Just like in Saudi Arabia.

> I then called immigration office, they said I can file online.

Never rely on anything you hear from immigration offices. I don't know the
actual answer, though :-(

- --
Please visit my FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com before asking a question here.
It may answer your question. Remember, I am strictly a layperson without
any legal training. I encourage the reader to seek competent legal counsel
rather than relying on usenet newsgroups.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFDvFrT2STeoAchQDkRAsRzAKCBZYP0tUDfu53a+PN/Dbqbz7GFkwCfevdt
ZSai+7DiMl0iyyT4hLotqa4=
=jQzD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

thething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nicethething is just really nice

For help on drivers licenses, check the immigration.com forum on this topic at

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...play.php?f=229

You should be able to get a drivers license on H4, E3 or whatever. This forum has plenty of tips posted by people in every state.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

aviezer is an unknown quantity at this point

The SSN took me about 4 weeks. The drivers license check with your state's online DMV. Some states will just require a written test (NJ) others require the whole thing as if you never drove before in your life (NY). I waited for my SSN before I went in to the DMV.
The spouses application I have started online but she hasen't gone to the interview yet.

Originally Posted by laoniu
Hi,

I am an E-3 holder and currently in U.S. When I went to apply SSN, I was told to wait as they need to verify the visa information. Without SSN, I can't even get a driver's licence. Anyone has this experience? How long does it take?

Also, I went to immigration office to apply work permisson for my wife (E-3D). They seem don't know about E-3 at all and told us they can't even accept the filing of I-765 application.
Very strange, since social security office said she has to get work permission from the immigration first. I then called immigration office, they said I can file online. However, the online form doesn't have E-3 option at all. Could anyone solve the puzzle?