Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security number denied

Social Security number denied

Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:22 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security number denied

Originally Posted by Ray
They both could have E-2 visas and own 50% each of the business...
or one could be accompanying spouse of E-2 holder ...
when one spouse owns 100% of the business
But the accompanying spouse is still going to have E-2 status and and an I-94 with E-2 written on it, marriage certificate, passport and birth certificate gets you an SSN.

I believe the whole family will have E-2 status, but kids can't get an SSN based on E-2 status.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:29 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
But the accompanying spouse is still going to have E-2 status and and an I-94 with E-2 written on it, marriage certificate, passport and birth certificate gets you an SSN.

I believe the whole family will have E-2 status, but kids can't get an SSN based on E-2 status.
Thank you Mike ...
But in practice is does nor seem that way ..evey E-2er I know.. the non E-2 partner has had to get an EAD just like the OP....
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Thank you Mike ...
But in practice is does nor seem that way ..evey E-2er I know.. the non E-2 partner has had to get an EAD just like the OP....
This a somewhat recent policy change for SSA. It was sometime last year I recall that SSA started allowing E-1, E-2 and L-2 spouses to be assigned an SSN
based on status with the marriage certificate.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
This a somewhat recent policy change for SSA. It was sometime last year I recall that SSA started allowing E-1, E-2 and L-2 spouses to be assigned an SSN
based on status with the marriage certificate.
That could be it .. Thank you Mike I will pass the info onto
my old Florida E-2 site ....Ray
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:18 am
Just Joined

mardi_gras is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confussed. Just to clarify, we don't own a business. My husband is employed by a company who get visas for their staff using the E2 rather than H1B ect. My husbands visa has his employers name on it, my visa and my kids visas have my husbands name on them. Does that make any difference?

The way I read the previous posts is that I can now apply for a SSN just by proving I am married, is that right?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:23 am
Ray

Originally Posted by mardi_gras
I'm confussed. Just to clarify, we don't own a business. My husband is employed by a company who get visas for their staff using the E2 rather than H1B ect. My husbands visa has his employers name on it, my visa and my kids visas have my husbands name on them. Does that make any difference?

The way I read the previous posts is that I can now apply for a SSN just by proving I am married, is that right?
That what Mike says ..... and he is the Resident SS expert ....
of course you still cannot work though ..without the EAD
print out the rules on the site Mike gave ...take it with you ..
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:42 am

Based on current SSA SSN policy if you are the spouse having E-2 status and can provide a marriage document issued before you arrived here that shows you are married to the principal E-2, then you can be assigned a work authorized SSN.

Take your I-94, passport, marriage certificate and birth certificate into an SSA office with the sections of SSA's POMS I listed. Start yelling for the office manager if they say you need an I-766 EAD card.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:15 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

I knew you would all know! Thankyou so much, I actually have the EAD form but have just put off applying, I think I need to get on with it.
Warrington Wolf - small world, I'm from Stockton Heath.
I used to live in Winwick (on the site of the old mental hospital - some say it still is). We still have a house there. Went to school in Leigh.

What about you?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

mardi_gras is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou so much. There's no way I could have found out this info on my own, I'm really grateful.

Warrington Wolf, Winwick Park eh? Very posh. We still have our house over there too in Walton, hopefully we won't have it for long though it's going on the market next week. I lived there all my life before coming here, grew up in Thelwall and went to school in Lymm (before it was entirely populated by millionaires.)

I miss it sometimes especially Greggs cheese and onion pasties and going to Blackpool for the day when the weather was nice. Fantastic.