Reload this Page >

Social Security Number advice

Social Security Number advice

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

thenoblesavage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number advice

Hi all,

Ok so I arrived in the US on the 29 July, five weeks ago today. I received my Permanent Resident Card two days ago but have still not received my Social Security Card and I need it for obvious reasons. Anyway the Social Security website says if you don't receive a card within three weeks of arrival to call them. I called the toll free number yesterday and after twenty minutes of answering questions was told they couldn't help me as I have no Social Security Number!! So I called the local office today and they told me I wasn't yet on their system and to therefore call Homeland Security to see what was going on, seeing as I ticked yes to receiving a Social Security Card automatically on my DS-230. I just called Homeland Security and their system is down!! I'll call them back later but was wondering if anyone knew the process, presumably if I receive my Permanent Resident Card then I'm on the system and my details should be passed on to Social Security any day now?? I don't want to wait another few weeks!!

Thanks,

James
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number advice

Originally Posted by thenoblesavage
Hi all,

Ok so I arrived in the US on the 29 July, five weeks ago today. I received my Permanent Resident Card two days ago but have still not received my Social Security Card and I need it for obvious reasons. Anyway the Social Security website says if you don't receive a card within three weeks of arrival to call them. I called the toll free number yesterday and after twenty minutes of answering questions was told they couldn't help me as I have no Social Security Number!! So I called the local office today and they told me I wasn't yet on their system and to therefore call Homeland Security to see what was going on, seeing as I ticked yes to receiving a Social Security Card automatically on my DS-230. I just called Homeland Security and their system is down!! I'll call them back later but was wondering if anyone knew the process, presumably if I receive my Permanent Resident Card then I'm on the system and my details should be passed on to Social Security any day now?? I don't want to wait another few weeks!!

Thanks,

James
Go to your local SS office with your passport and fill in the application form.

Take a good book too...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

They are fobbing you off.

Go to your local SS Office with your passport and proof of LPR status (i.e. Green Card).

Presuming that you have been put in the system by inbound immigration (that should only take about a week from your entry date) they will be able to print you out a sheet with your details on including the SSN you have been assigned, even though your card may not show up for a while.

If you are NOT in the system then something has gone wrong and you can sort it out with them at the SSO to get the ball rolling on a number.

BTW you do NOT need an SSN to get a job or be paid (any employer that tells you that doesn't know what they are doing). In some states they mess you about getting driving license without one though.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:32 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Can't tell what visa type you entered on, but if it was a K visa type, ticking that box on the DS 230 is useless. You'll have to do as suggested and go to your local SSA office.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Can't tell what visa type you entered on, but if it was a K visa type, ticking that box on the DS 230 is useless. You'll have to do as suggested and go to your local SSA office.
What? Most folks on here that entered on K visas got their SSN just fine. If you didn't, you're the exception rather than the rule.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
What? Most folks on here that entered on K visas got their SSN just fine. If you didn't, you're the exception rather than the rule.
People who enter on a K visa don't "automatically" get their SS cards by ticking the box on the DS 230. That's only for people coming on an Immigrant Visa.

A K visa holder still has to go in person to the SS office to get their SSN.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks,

James
I doubt you can accomplish anything at all by phone. You'll have to go in person to your local SS office, fill out the application, and get it done that way. Sometimes even though you tick the box, it falls through the cracks and doesn't get processed. After 5 weeks here, you definitely should be in their system.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:30 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
People who enter on a K visa don't "automatically" get their SS cards by ticking the box on the DS 230. That's only for people coming on an Immigrant Visa.

A K visa holder still has to go in person to the SS office to get their SSN.

Rene
Yep. I got my hubby's SSN just fine, thanks very much. My point was what Noorah re-emphasized.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for your advice.

I arrived in the US on a spousal visa (IR1) so should have received my Social Security Card automatically (as I ticked yes on form DS-230). I just tried to call USCIS but their system just sends me in circles and doesn't get me through to anyone who I can speak with.

The I-797C, Notice of Action, I received from USCIS had a receipt date of August 18, so could the fact it took so long for them to receive my package from my POE (almost 3 weeks) explain why I still haven't received my Social Security Card?

Thanks,

James
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:19 pm

The I-797C, Notice of Action, I received from USCIS had a receipt date of August 18, so could the fact it took so long for them to receive my package from my POE (almost 3 weeks) explain why I still haven't received my Social Security Card?
Perhaps, but whatever the reason, USCIS can't do anything now. No need to call them. You'll need to go in person to your SS office and apply in person. They can also double check whether you have an application pending already. But you need to do it in person, they won't do it over the phone.

Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN

But people who enter with a K visa do not get green cards in the mail ;-)
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Automatic only if the agent at the POE ticked the box on the computer screen. If he didn't, then you won't get it.

Thanks all for your advice.

I arrived in the US on a spousal visa (IR1) so should have received my Social Security Card automatically (as I ticked yes on form DS-230). I just tried to call USCIS but their system just sends me in circles and doesn't get me through to anyone who I can speak with.

Thanks,

James
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene.

I called just to see if I was in the Social Security system, and the lady told me I wasn't and that therefore it was USCIS at fault, presumably for not passing my details over to them. I'll take your advice and head down there tomorrow, they tend to do more in person!

Thanks Rete - I wondered how the info was shared and when. To think if I hadn't ticked that box I could have got it sorted weeks ago!!

James
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Just in case you're interested or for anyone's future reference. I went down to the local Social Security Administration office in rural Pennsylvania this morning, told them I hadn't been allocated a number yet. Lady checked the system, I wasn't on there so I was told to complete the SS-5 form, which I did, handed it back in and was told I'd have it within a week in the post! Was in the office a total of 24 minutes, it was empty on arrival but time I left there a few people waiting, so good timing for once!!

Doing the DS-230 route is obviously the best choice, but if you fall through the crack then it's frustrating, I could have done what I did today the day after I arrived, five weeks ago!!

James
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Just in case you're interested or for anyone's future reference. I went down to the local Social Security Administration office in rural Pennsylvania this morning, told them I hadn't been allocated a number yet. Lady checked the system, I wasn't on there so I was told to complete the SS-5 form, which I did, handed it back in and was told I'd have it within a week in the post! Was in the office a total of 24 minutes, it was empty on arrival but time I left there a few people waiting, so good timing for once!!

Doing the DS-230 route is obviously the best choice, but if you fall through the crack then it's frustrating, I could have done what I did today the day after I arrived, five weeks ago!!

James
Right on! Great report, thanks. The DS-230 system (Enumeration At Entry) works for the vast majority of people, but every now and then (and of course we read about the problems more...) someone slips through the cracks, just as you say.
If you are desperate for the number for some reason, you can go back in person the next day and they will tell you the number (not over the phone, for security) before you receive the card.