British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   social Security Number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-number-596450/)

chrisncarla Mar 9th 2009 6:19 pm

social Security Number

Hi All,

We moved to the US in February 2009, and by reading the threads most people received their social security cards within 3 weeks. I have not heard anything, I have tried calling the social security helpline and was told that I am not in the system and that it could take up to 12 weeks. I rang again today to be told that the previous rep should not have taken any information from me ie date of birth name etc as this was a violation. I can not apply again as I have applied via the DS forms when we were going through the london embassy. Has any one had a problem

Rete Mar 9th 2009 6:30 pm

Re: social Security Number

Calling is useless. Go in person. And yes, others have had problems while others have not. You only came to the US about a month ago. It's a little early to be worried.

Noorah101 Mar 9th 2009 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7360753)
Calling is useless. Go in person. And yes, others have had problems while others have not. You only came to the US about a month ago. It's a little early to be worried.

I'd give it a bit more time, and then go in person to the SS office. Sometimes it just happens that the information you checked on the form didn't get transferred to SS, so they missed giving you a number automatically.

Rene

meauxna Mar 9th 2009 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by chrisncarla (Post 7360733)
Hi All,

We moved to the US in February 2009, and by reading the threads most people received their social security cards within 3 weeks. I have not heard anything, I have tried calling the social security helpline and was told that I am not in the system and that it could take up to 12 weeks. I rang again today to be told that the previous rep should not have taken any information from me ie date of birth name etc as this was a violation. I can not apply again as I have applied via the DS forms when we were going through the london embassy. Has any one had a problem

According to your signature, you arrived at the END of Feb. You should wait at least 3 weeks for an indication that your envelope was processed after your POE. Today is exactly 2 weeks since you arrived.

If you do not get a Welcome Letter from USCIS or Green Card OR Social Security card within the next two weeks, you should complete form SS-5 and take it in person, with all your evidence, to your SSA office.
You should probably also contact CIS at that point.

chrisncarla Mar 9th 2009 8:26 pm

I hsve just visited the Social Security Office, who advised that anyone who ticks the form should receive a Social Security card within 3 weeks, unless your name is common. They searched the system and could not find any info, so I had to make a new application. the card should be here within 2 weeks

Rete Mar 9th 2009 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by chrisncarla (Post 7361130)
I hsve just visited the Social Security Office, who advised that anyone who ticks the form should receive a Social Security card within 3 weeks, unless your name is common. They searched the system and could not find any info, so I had to make a new application. the card should be here within 2 weeks

Hope you don't get two cards in the mail with different numbers and you have to straighten out the mess.

According to the calendar Feb 23 to March 9 is only 14 including weekends. That is only 2 weeks.

Anywho glad you went in person.

Norri Mar 10th 2009 1:46 am

I ticked the box and visited the SS office in PHX when I arrived hoping to hustle things along, I was younger and naive then, the card eventually turned up at my MIL's in NY so I suppose the tick in the box won out in the end.
Sadly my MIL promptly threw the card out with the rubbish but luckily kept the cover letter with the all important number.
I just got a replacement card a few months ago almost 3 years since the first one was "misplaced" nobody has ever asked to see it but you have to know that number.