Reload this Page >

Social security number

Social security number

Old May 23rd 2008, 4:36 am
Just Joined

ExcitedCouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social security number

Hi!

So we have arrived in California and are settling into USA life well. I have a question and wondering if anyone out there can help at all?

My husband (UKC - and now USA PR) arrived in the US with me (USC) almost 2 weeks ago. We processed our visa in London and when we went for our interview we were told that my husband would automatically receive a SSN within around 3 weeks - and we checked all the boxes on the forms.

When we landed at LAX the immigration guys told us to go to a Soc Sec office and apply for the SSN - the opposite of what the London office told us to do.

Has anyone arrived in the US as a new permanent resident recently and do you know whether a SSN gets sent out automatically or not??

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number

Originally Posted by ExcitedCouple
We processed our visa in London and when we went for our interview we were told that my husband would automatically receive a SSN within around 3 weeks - and we checked all the boxes on the forms.
This is true.

When we landed at LAX the immigration guys told us to go to a Soc Sec office and apply for the SSN - the opposite of what the London office told us to do.
This is also true... but only if you didn't check the boxes on the form... and there's no way he would know whether you did or not. From his POV, it was good advice.

... do you know whether a SSN gets sent out automatically or not?
It should arrive on its own. Note: operative word = "should". If it doesn't come in another week (London said 3 weeks and it's not been 2 yet), have him go the the SSA and fill in an application form. Be sure he takes all the necessary paperwork.

Ian
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number

Originally Posted by ExcitedCouple

Has anyone arrived in the US as a new permanent resident recently and do you know whether a SSN gets sent out automatically or not??
Don't re-apply just yet..
The Green Card is produced in Texas and "should" arrive inside of 4 weeks from arrival. Deduct time for fed holidays etc
The SS card should also arrive inside of that 4 weeks, but it's difficult to know if it will or not. The program is called Enumeration At Entry and it does work for most people.

Both card production orders are generated from the same act, so if the Welcome Letter or GC arrives but no SS, it's a pretty sure sign you need to go apply at the SSA office. The form is SS-5 and it's very straightforward. There is an office locater at ssa.gov