Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Old May 19th 2001, 2:35 pm
Tim Easterday
Posts: n/a

If I marry my fiancee while she is here on a tourist visa and then we file for
adjustment of status, how do we get a social security number?? I think I have a good
idea of all the other forms to file, except for that one.


Old May 19th 2001, 3:07 pm
michael d young
Posts: n/a

Tim Easterday wrote:


Hi All!

Go to the Social Security Website at:


Read the publication called "Lawfully Admitted Aliens--When You Need A Number And
When You Don't." An alien needs proof of age, identity and proof of legal alien
status to be issued a Social Security card. Plus a completed and signed Form SS-5.

However, if the individual's visa status does not allow them to work (tourist is
one), they will need a valid non-work reason to be issued a Social Security card.
Plus letter on their letterhead from government agency requiring individual to have a
Social Security number. In this case the Social Security card is stamped "not valid
for work" and Social Security will contact INS if you
do. If over age 18, you will need to file at a Social Security office in person.

You can find the address and directions to your local Social Security office at:


You can download the Form SS-5 at:


Take care,


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.