Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number...

Social Security Number...

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Number...

Over 2 months on still don't have my Social Security Number, been calling the office every week. They called me back yesterday afternoon to say that as it was J-1 they had to send it to California - and it just came back last week saying I was "an illegal alien" :scared: Of course they saw and took copies of my visa/passport, DS2019 blah blah so quite how they have come up with this I have no idea. The lady I talked with is completely disinterested - I told her I only have a few weeks left to take my driving test and all she could say is well I have sent it back so we will just have to wait and see - I asked for the number in California to call them myself but she wouldn't give it out.

Anyone else had problems like this? I really didn't think it would take this long and to hell with the driving test I just want to get satellite so I can watch Eastenders!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

i had big problems with my SSN. it appears that my original I-94 was not properly dealt with by immigration, but I was fortunate in that I had gone back to the UK over Christmas and my more recent I-94 was fine and the SSN was able to be sorted out (with some help from my university) within a couple of weeks of me making a big issue out of it.

i remember being told that a new system for dealing with j1 visa SSN applications had been put in place in January, whereby if you are not on their system then you should be cleared in 10 days if your visa and DS2019 are in order. are you at a university? do they have an office for dealing with internationals' issues?

SamJ
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:11 pm
Wiggle

I am coming over to Los Angeles shortly on a I-94 3 month trip, will not be working, just for tourism, but I was told that I couldnt get a SSN as they dont issue them now soley for the reason of getting a Calif drivers licence, which is why I wanted it cos I was trying to avoid the expense of a 3 month car rental and buy a cheapo car instead.

How do I get a California drivers licence as a tourist ?

Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:10 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley - you don't need your SS# to take your driving test

or at least you don't in davidson county TN

Last edited by BritGuyTN; Jun 4th 2004 at 5:01 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure it would be hugely cheaper - especially when you include insurance which will be pretty expensive. I always found great car hire deals on www.yescarhire.com

Originally posted by Wiggle
I am coming over to Los Angeles shortly on a I-94 3 month trip, will not be working, just for tourism, but I was told that I couldnt get a SSN as they dont issue them now soley for the reason of getting a Calif drivers licence, which is why I wanted it cos I was trying to avoid the expense of a 3 month car rental and buy a cheapo car instead.

Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks I will look into that - I was told by my employer that I had to and just took their word for it but will def check now.

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
Lesley - you don't need your SS# to take your driving test

or at least you don't in davidson county TN
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You don't. They are for California residents. See: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

If it's any consolation, I can't get one, even as someone born in California. I don't live there anymore.

I'm not sure you'll be impeded in buying a vehicle, tho. I recall a buy-back auto sales company that sells vehicles to visitors and buys them back after X number of months.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:36 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

my ss number took ages to come through

in the section oin the license it just says 'none provided' next to ssn
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:51 pm
Wiggle

Originally posted by meauxna
You don't. They are for California residents. See: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

If it's any consolation, I can't get one, even as someone born in California. I don't live there anymore.

I'm not sure you'll be impeded in buying a vehicle, tho. I recall a buy-back auto sales company that sells vehicles to visitors and buys them back after X number of months.
Buying the car will be ok, its getting auto insurance without a Californian drivers licence thats the problem. Almost all companies won't insure you unless you have one.

Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Buying the car will be ok, its getting auto insurance without a Californian drivers licence thats the problem. Almost all companies won't insure you unless you have one.
I understand, as my husband is a UKC. Seems you should focus on shopping for the right insurance company instead; they are out there. You would not want to represent yourself as a California resident, would you?
The SS# is the most abused documentation in the US. It was not ever meant to be used for this purpose (not that that is your fault!). However, some people think they can't get other types of insurance w/o a Social Security number, and that is not true. It *does* require getting past the front-line employees sometimes.

Anyway, try State Farm Insurance. They were accomodating to our situation (pre US DL).