Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

RHYS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security Number

I filed I130, I485, and I765.... back in October and yesterday I collected my EAD card in Detroit ( what an experience that was!) I went to get my social security number today and they said they could not do it yet as on there computer it says Im still a vistor and she needs to verify with Detroit if they can issue me a card? Anybody know or had this happend to them? I thought because i have a EAD card and filed all the paper work i would be able to get a SS number and be able to work!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Social Security Number

Originally posted by RHYS
I filed I130, I485, and I765.... back in October and yesterday I collected my EAD card in Detroit ( what an experience that was!) I went to get my social security number today and they said they could not do it yet as on there computer it says Im still a vistor and she needs to verify with Detroit if they can issue me a card? Anybody know or had this happend to them? I thought because i have a EAD card and filed all the paper work i would be able to get a SS number and be able to work!

We were told when we visited a US SS office that it would take 10 days from the day we entered POE for it to register on their system....
so maybe you need to wait 10 days. Then again, maybe I'm talking sillyness and twoddle that does not apply to you/your case.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:35 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

I had to wait a few days, too.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
I had to wait a few days, too.
I got lost on their system it seemed.. it took 11 weeks to get the SSN..
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

RHYS is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers ray, thats made me feel better!
What did you do in the mean time while it was being processed? did u work?

Last edited by RHYS; Feb 18th 2004 at 11:12 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:18 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

rather than wait for the computer to be updated or for them to receive confirmation you could go to the local BCIS office and have them fax your arrival record to the SSA. the SSA office should give you their fax number. BCIS have a standard form which they fill in your arrival date, status and work status.

i did it few days after i arrived, though i was tipped about this by some kind SSA official
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I rested and still am...I was retired, but that was an unusual happening..most get then in a week or so..

rather than wait for the computer to be updated or for them to receive confirmation you could go to the local BCIS office and have them fax your arrival record to the SSA. the SSA office should give you their fax number. BCIS have a standard form which they fill in your arrival date, status and work status.
Only problem with that idea, is that some if not most of the offices don't like walk-ins, you have to get appointments..in Florida you can only get an appointment via a web site...

Last edited by ray6; Feb 19th 2004 at 4:05 am.