Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 6:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Ben - our L1 & L2 visas are in the process of being renewed.

My husband spoke to the company's immigration attorney yesterday and enquired about me (on on L2) applying for work authorisation.

It costs $1000. In addition to completing an application form for EAD I also need to have two photos taken and the attorney faxed the US INS form M-378 to him as they are *very* specific as to how the photos must appear (size, image, 3/4 profile etc.).

Just like an L1 visa, once it has been authorised that you can work in the US, you then apply to the Social Security office for an SS number. The ITIN is only of any use to the IRS!

Now my problem is....having been a 'trailing spouse' for 8 years, I don't have any up-to-date skills in the workforce. I last worked in the Civil Service in the UK, that won't get me anywhere in the USA!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 8:49 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum, that is just what I thought. Thank-you for clarifying that. I didn't see the point for people coming across now to apply for an ITIN as they might as well get their SS number, unless they are having to file their 1st tax return within 2 months off arriving here.

Did you know you can apply for your EAD without using a lawyer. It is supposed to be very easy. We were advised by our lawyer for me not to get mine just yet because not only are we getting our L1/2's renewed but we are also in the process of getting our greencards, but Monster (who comes on here sometimes) says I need to check this out, because she has applied for hers and had no problems. If you apply for it yourself it only costs $130. Your lawyer is charging you a lot for the privilage of going through them. I know a few people who have applied by themselves and not had a bit of trouble doing it. It is more a question of how long it takes to come through.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

jinjimbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NorthSouth
Absolutely true Suebo

Without authorization to work YOU CANNOT obtain a SSN.
This is 100% wrong.

Anyone with a reason can get a SSN. Wanting to open a bank account is a reason, applying for a drivers license is another . . .
Old Jan 21st 2003, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jinjimbob
This is 100% wrong.

Anyone with a reason can get a SSN. Wanting to open a bank account is a reason, applying for a drivers license is another . . .

Sorry you are wrong. I do not have a SSN, they won't give me one as I am on a dependents visa. I can not open a bank account, but I do have a US DL.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 12:28 am
Just Joined

jinjimbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope. Some states might not require a ssn, but you can get one for bank account reasons.

I have seen it happen.