British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Social Security No for my 9 yr old? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-no-my-9-yr-old-600790/)

keira-2007 Mar 30th 2009 3:07 pm

Social Security No for my 9 yr old?

Hi guys

Hope someone clever can answer my query. :)

My hubbie is trying to submit his tax returns and have had them returned because our daughter has no TIN No. or Social Security No. We only just got our green cards last week and our attorneys had said that she couldn't have a Social Security No until she became a permanent resident.

Does anyone know anything about all this? Do I need to get her a social security card now, and how do I go about getting her a TIN number?

Thanks in advance

Keira

snowbunny Mar 30th 2009 3:13 pm

Re: Social Security No for my 9 yr old?

If you want the tax credit for her, then she has to have an SSN or TIN if not eligible for a TIN.

meauxna Mar 30th 2009 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 7435084)
Hi guys

Hope someone clever can answer my query. :)

My hubbie is trying to submit his tax returns and have had them returned because our daughter has no TIN No. or Social Security No. We only just got our green cards last week and our attorneys had said that she couldn't have a Social Security No until she became a permanent resident.

Does anyone know anything about all this? Do I need to get her a social security card now, and how do I go about getting her a TIN number?

Thanks in advance

Keira

Your daughter is now a Permanent Resident (green card).
You need to go to the SSA with form SS-5 and apply for a number for her.
Explain your need, and the worker should give you a way to contact them to get the number after a few days (the card will take a couple of weeks).

She is no longer eligible for a TIN.

snowbunny Mar 30th 2009 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7435517)
Explain your need, and the worker should give you a way to contact them to get the number after a few days (the card will take a couple of weeks).

Mo, do you know if new PRs take a while to "show up in the system" in the same way that people arriving on CR-1s take a while?

If you are filing taxes then you can file for an automatic extension so long as you have paid your estimated taxes - just in case you can't get the number in time.

meauxna Mar 30th 2009 5:14 pm

Adjsutment cases seem to show up faster than others. They may tell her that they've got to verify, but she MUST go in in person regardless, and the sooner, the better.
Since she's not eligible for a TIN, there's really no choice.

I think they would be able to release the number inside of 2 weeks (omg I'd better get busy).

keira-2007 Mar 30th 2009 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7435517)

She is no longer eligible for a TIN.

Can I double check this? I was told (by the lady that is filing our taxes) that Koren (my daughter) needs a TIN number. Yet the HR person at hubbies work said she will need a SS number...
I went online to look at how to apply for a SS No and read that non citizens that are not authorized to work (ie a 9 year old child) cannot apply for a SS Number without a letter from the State or governing body explaining why we need one.
Is this right? I'm confused... :(

MsElui Mar 30th 2009 6:02 pm

as a green card holder she doesnt need an ead. so can get an ssn .

meauxna Mar 30th 2009 6:04 pm

Your daughter also became a PR with you, yes? If so, she is employment authorized (remember the links I posted for you?).

Did you tell the tax lady that you are Permanent Residents?
Maybe she doesn't understand the difference.

keira-2007 Mar 30th 2009 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7435746)
as a green card holder she doesnt need an ead. so can get an ssn .

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7435752)
Your daughter also became a PR with you, yes? If so, she is employment authorized (remember the links I posted for you?).

Did you tell the tax lady that you are Permanent Residents?
Maybe she doesn't understand the difference.

Doh! :o You are both right. Sorry for the confusion. My brains got the farts. :eek:

Right I'd best get her down the Social Security office pronto then! Good job it's Spring Break this week.

snowbunny Mar 30th 2009 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 7435725)
Can I double check this? I was told (by the lady that is filing our taxes) that Koren (my daughter) needs a TIN number. Yet the HR person at hubbies work said she will need a SS number...
I went online to look at how to apply for a SS No and read that non citizens that are not authorized to work (ie a 9 year old child) cannot apply for a SS Number without a letter from the State or governing body explaining why we need one.
Is this right? I'm confused... :(

The only reason a nine-year-old cannot work is child labour law - nothing to do with her immigration status. I still say she is entitled to an SSN. It says only 12 yrs old and up must apply in person; a 9 year old doesn't have to.

dbj1000 Mar 30th 2009 11:56 pm

Assuming she shows up in the system, it shouldn't take too long to get her SSN. I applied for SSNs for my daughters in January, and received them within two weeks.

Unfortunately you've left it extremely late to work all this out, so you're still unlikely to get her SSN in time to file. Looks like you'll be filing for an extension instead.

Deedee13 Mar 31st 2009 12:13 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7436849)
Assuming she shows up in the system, it shouldn't take too long to get her SSN. I applied for SSNs for my daughters in January, and received them within two weeks.

Unfortunately you've left it extremely late to work all this out, so you're still unlikely to get her SSN in time to file. Looks like you'll be filing for an extension instead.

the first year we had this problem too. We waited until we got the ssn. Worth the wait to get the tax credit.

Bob Mar 31st 2009 12:19 am

Originally Posted by keira-2007 (Post 7435769)
Right I'd best get her down the Social Security office pronto then!...

Might want to go with her too, can be a boring long wait :p

dbj1000 Mar 31st 2009 12:38 am

Hold on, hold on Keira, Bob & meauxna! There's no need for a 9-year-old to go to the Social Security office in person. As Snowbunny's already said, it clearly states on the Social Security Numbers for Children website that children under 12 years of age don't need to attend in person.

meauxna Mar 31st 2009 1:44 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7436927)
Hold on, hold on Keira, Bob & meauxna! There's no need for a 9-year-old to go to the Social Security office in person. As Snowbunny's already said, it clearly states on the Social Security Numbers for Children website that children under 12 years of age don't need to attend in person.

Yes, but she has urgent need and she wants it in her lifetime, right? :lol: