Reload this Page >

Social Security No. after green card approval

Social Security No. after green card approval

Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Matthias The Peevish will become famous soon enough
Default Social Security No. after green card approval

Hi guys and girls

I just (last week) had my 2 year green card based on marriage approved at my AOS interview. ((Yaaay!!))

I should be getting my green card in the next two weeks, but I am wondering about my SSN. Is this something that I apply for when I get my green card, or should I apply before I get it? - I already have my Work permit card.

I know this may be a late question, but with all the visa organising, I have overlooked the SSN part!!

Thanks
Matt
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security No. after green card approval

Originally Posted by Matthias The Peevish
Hi guys and girls

I just (last week) had my 2 year green card based on marriage approved at my AOS interview. ((Yaaay!!))

I should be getting my green card in the next two weeks, but I am wondering about my SSN. Is this something that I apply for when I get my green card, or should I apply before I get it? - I already have my Work permit card.

I know this may be a late question, but with all the visa organising, I have overlooked the SSN part!!

Thanks
Matt
With your EAD (work permit card), you could have applied for a SSN. You haven' been working?

If you wait until your Green Card comes, and apply from that status, you will have a 'better' SS card, one without the legend that indicates you only have temporary work permission. You would want to update your status with SSA after getting your Green Card anyway, so you may as well wait another couple of weeks IMO.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
With your EAD (work permit card), you could have applied for a SSN. You haven' been working?

If you wait until your Green Card comes, and apply from that status, you will have a 'better' SS card, one without the legend that indicates you only have temporary work permission. You would want to update your status with SSA after getting your Green Card anyway, so you may as well wait another couple of weeks IMO.
Ah ok that makes sense to wait then. I havent used the work permit as I have been working abroad on an Advance Parole, and I wont need to work until after the green card comes through.
Thanks for the quick response meauxna!
Matt
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Super! congrats on the approval, btw.. I meant to say it the first time!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Super! congrats on the approval, btw.. I meant to say it the first time!
Thanks - coming out of the interview ranks as one of the greatest moments in recent years ... *ahem* after my wedding of course. And the card should arrive right around me birthday.

Just a shame my arrival timing wasn't better suited to the US economy and job market! :curse:
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Matthias The Peevish
Thanks - coming out of the interview ranks as one of the greatest moments in recent years ... *ahem* after my wedding of course. And the card should arrive right around me birthday.

Just a shame my arrival timing wasn't better suited to the US economy and job market! :curse:
Maybe your arrival is just what we need to jump start things here again.
Looking forward to it!