Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Nightmare...

Social Security Nightmare...

Old Jun 26th 2002, 5:20 am
Jennifer

Default Social Security Nightmare...

Well...I don't know if you could call it a nightmare...but it's pretty scary, when
you think about it...

I haven't posted here in awhile. My love arrived (entered on K-1 visa) on May 25,
and we were married on June 7. Peter applied for his SSN on June 3rd, and we were
told it could take 10-20 days to receive the card due to the requirement of INS
verification. Yes, that sucks...but we've waited 3 weeks, and he's been calling the
SSA every day to check on his #...and every day he's told, "You're not in our
system, call back again."

So, on June 24, we decided to visit the SSA again to find out what is going on.
Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint banking
account...basically everything without a SSN (and for things we need for our AOS
interview). Should I even bother describing the inefficiency, complacency, and
ridiculous-ness of our experience going down there a second time? The guy had NO
CLUE...said Peter wasn't in the system at all...and WHY would INS verification be
necessary in the first place? He says - if you apply for your SSN within 30 days of
arriving in the US - INS verification IS NOT REQUIRED. Really?...because we've been
waiting for almost a month!

SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met) on a J-1 visa (working) he HAD
a social security number - this # was re-generated and the guy re-issued it to Peter.
He apologized - couldn't understand why Peter wasn't in the system after his June 3
application....

So, after several hours at the SSA, we left with Peter's newly activated SSN. Of
course, cursing the Social Security Administration employee who DIDN'T do shit on the
day he applied on June 3.

We were happy. Felt like the process was moving forward a bit.

We get home, and guess what's in the mailbox??? A F'ING social security card with a
TOTALLY different number than was JUST issued to him!!! Meaning...he had 2 social
security #'s and had just applied for a 3rd one! So, he had to go back to the SSA
today...and they cancelled the one that was issued (and recieved in our mailbox); the
one he just re-applied for; and re-activated his old J-1 visa SSN.

It's no wonder terrorists' can enter our country freely, fly our planes, and crash
into our buildings....what with 3 social security numbers TEST-you can do f'ing
anything you want to!!!!

Anyway...that's our experience. If you've entered the US and apply for your SSN
within 30 days of arrival - INS VERIFICATION IS NOT REQUIRED! So, fight them, if they
tell you that it is.

Now....onto AOS next week....please wish us luck. And we sincerely hope this
experience and info helps one of you in the future.

~jennifer & peter (US/NL)

Old Jun 26th 2002, 5:20 am

Default Re: Social Security Nightmare...

> SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met)
    > on a J-1 visa (working) he HAD a social security number

Why, if he had a SSN already, was he applying for another one?? This I don't
understand at all.

You were told 10-20 days and after a grand total of 21 days ("but we've waited 3
weeks") and thought it was too long - did you ask if it might be 10-20 working days?

As for bank account, I was a party to our new joint bank account before I'd even
applied for an SSN. True, it was at a bank where my husband already had a personal
and a business account. Banks do differ.

You might check the recent archives, the 30 day thing has been discussed here
very recently.

Good luck with the AOS.

"Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Well...I don't know if you could call it a nightmare...but it's pretty scary, when
    > you think about it...
    >
    >
    > I haven't posted here in awhile. My love arrived (entered on K-1 visa) on May 25,
    > and we were married on June 7. Peter applied for his SSN on June 3rd, and we were
    > told it could take 10-20 days to receive the card due to the requirement of INS
    > verification. Yes, that sucks...but we've waited 3 weeks, and he's been calling the
    > SSA every day to check on his #...and every day he's told, "You're not in our
    > system, call back again."
    >
    > So, on June 24, we decided to visit the SSA again to find out what is going on.
    > Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint banking
    > account...basically everything without a SSN (and for things we need for our AOS
    > interview). Should I even bother describing the inefficiency, complacency, and
    > ridiculous-ness of our experience going down there a second time? The guy had NO
    > CLUE...said Peter wasn't in the system at all...and WHY would INS verification be
    > necessary in the first place? He says - if you apply for your SSN within 30 days of
    > arriving in the US - INS verification IS NOT REQUIRED. Really?...because we've been
    > waiting for almost a month!
    >
    > SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met) on a J-1 visa (working) he
    > HAD a social security number - this # was re-generated and the guy re-issued it to
    > Peter. He apologized - couldn't understand why Peter wasn't in the system after his
    > June 3 application....
    >
    > So, after several hours at the SSA, we left with Peter's newly activated SSN. Of
    > course, cursing the Social Security Administration employee who DIDN'T do shit on
    > the day he applied on June 3.
    >
    > We were happy. Felt like the process was moving forward a bit.
    >
    > We get home, and guess what's in the mailbox??? A F'ING social security card with a
    > TOTALLY different number than was JUST issued to him!!! Meaning...he had 2 social
    > security #'s and had just applied for a 3rd one! So, he had to go back to the SSA
    > today...and they cancelled the one that was issued (and recieved in our mailbox);
    > the one he just re-applied for; and re-activated his old J-1 visa SSN.
    >
    > It's no wonder terrorists' can enter our country freely, fly our planes, and crash
    > into our buildings....what with 3 social security numbers TEST-you can do f'ing
    > anything you want to!!!!
    >
    > Anyway...that's our experience. If you've entered the US and apply for your SSN
    > within 30 days of arrival - INS VERIFICATION IS NOT REQUIRED! So, fight them, if
    > they tell you that it is.
    >
    > Now....onto AOS next week....please wish us luck. And we sincerely hope this
    > experience and info helps one of you in the future.
    >
    > ~jennifer & peter (US/NL)

Old Jun 26th 2002, 6:20 am
Michael D. Youn

Jennifer wrote:

Hi All!

> Well...I don't know if you could call it a nightmare...but it's pretty scary, when
    > you think about it...
    >
    > I haven't posted here in awhile. My love arrived (entered on K-1 visa) on May 25,
    > and we were married on June 7. Peter applied for his SSN on June 3rd, and we were
    > told it could take 10-20 days to receive the card due to the requirement of INS
    > verification. Yes, that sucks...but we've waited 3 weeks, and he's been calling the
    >
    > So, on June 24, we decided to visit the SSA again to find out what is going on.
    > account...basically everything without a SSN (and for things we need for our AOS
    > interview). Should I even bother describing the inefficiency, complacency, and
    > ridiculous-ness of our experience going down there a second time? The guy had NO
    > CLUE...said Peter wasn't in the system at all...and WHY would INS verification be
    > necessary in the first place? He says - if you apply for your SSN within 30 days of
    > arriving in the US - INS verification IS NOT REQUIRED. Really?...because we've been
    >
    > SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met) on a J-1 visa (working) he
    > HAD a social security number - this # was re-generated and the guy re-issued it to
    > Peter. He apologized - couldn't understand why Peter wasn't in the system after his
    > June 3 application....

Well if he already had an SSN what was stopping him from doing anything other than
work? Where was the SSN card he was issued before? SSN wasn't regenerated or
reissued, it was always his and will always be his SSN

>
    >
    > So, after several hours at the SSA, we left with Peter's newly activated SSN. Of
    > course, cursing the Social Security Administration employee who DIDN'T do shit on

Same thing the SSN was always valid. I assume he just applied for a replacement SSN
card that maybe now says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION". Although I
believe some J-1s can work.

>
    >
    >
    > We get home, and guess what's in the mailbox??? A F'ING social security card with a
    > TOTALLY different number than was JUST issued to him!!! Meaning...he had 2 social
    > security #'s and had just applied for a 3rd one! So, he had to go back to the SSA
    > today...and they cancelled the one that was issued (and recieved in our mailbox);

If he has been issued 2 SSN, they will be cross referenced in the system as both
being his. SSN are not canceled once issued. I would be very surprised if he gets a
3rd SSN. You don't get a new SSN every time you apply. As I said before did he put
the original SSN on the applications he filed or tell anyone at SSA he already had a
SSN? The system should have caught that he already had an SSN, but there is a reason
for questions # 11 (Enter the Social Security number previously assigned to the
person listed in item 1) and 12 ( Enter the name shown on the most recent Social
Security card ...) on the SS-5 application form

>
    >
    > It's no wonder terrorists' can enter our country freely, fly our planes, and crash
    > into our buildings....what with 3 social security numbers TEST-you can do f'ing

Social Security employees are not mind readers either, if he didn't say he already
had an SSN, he is partly to blame.

>
    >
    > Anyway...that's our experience. If you've entered the US and apply for your SSN
    > within 30 days of arrival - INS VERIFICATION IS NOT REQUIRED! So, fight them, if

Well fasten your seat belt, because it won't be long before there is total
verification of INS documents, some offices are doing it now.

>
    >

Yeah it will give me something to talk about at work tomorrow. LOL

Take care,

Mike

Old Jun 26th 2002, 2:20 pm
L D Jones

Jennifer wrote:
    >
[ ... ]
    > Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint

If you have health insurance you should be able to add your spouse to your ploicy
even if he has no SSN. My company used a generated number in their system when I
added my wife since she had no SSN then.

Old Jun 26th 2002, 6:20 pm
Wim Colgate

You don't need a SSN for health insurance. It's just customary to use the SSN in the
health field.

As far as I know, a SSN can only be used (legally) for one thing: Taxes.

Wim

> you think about it...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > June 3 application....
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ~jennifer & peter (US/NL)

Jennifer

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jennifer wrote:
    >
    > Hi All!
    >
    > > Well...I don't know if you could call it a nightmare...but it's pretty scary,
    > > when you think about it...
    > >
    > > I haven't posted here in awhile. My love arrived (entered on K-1 visa) on May 25,
    > > and we were married on June 7. Peter applied for his SSN on June 3rd, and we were
    > > told it could take 10-20 days to receive the card due to the requirement of INS
    > > verification. Yes, that sucks...but we've waited 3 weeks, and he's been calling
    > > the SSA every day to check on his #...and every day he's told, "You're not in our
    > > system, call back again."
    > >
    > > So, on June 24, we decided to visit the SSA again to find out what is going on.
    > > Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint banking
    > > account...basically everything without a SSN (and for things we need for our AOS
    > > interview). Should I even bother describing the inefficiency, complacency, and
    > > ridiculous-ness of our experience going down there a second time? The guy had NO
    > > CLUE...said Peter wasn't in the system at all...and WHY would INS verification be
    > > necessary in the first place? He says - if you apply for your SSN within 30 days
    > > of arriving in the US - INS verification IS NOT REQUIRED. Really?...because we've
    > > been waiting for almost a month!
    > >
    > > SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met) on a J-1 visa (working) he
    > > HAD a social security number - this # was re-generated and the guy re-issued it
    > > to Peter. He apologized - couldn't understand why Peter wasn't in the system
    > > after his June 3 application....
    >
    > Well if he already had an SSN what was stopping him from doing anything other than
    > work? Where was the SSN card he was issued before? SSN wasn't regenerated or
    > reissued, it was always his and will always be his SSN

The SSN he had from last year states on the actual card "Valid for employment from
this date - to - this date" He was on an internship on a J-1 visa. He has entered the
US on a K-1 visa, and it would not have been wise for him to use a social security
card that had those parameters on it without first going to the social security
office. We are playing it safe - why make a mistake that could be detrimental to us?
With all of the changes going on, that would have been pretty stupid, IMO.
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > So, after several hours at the SSA, we left with Peter's newly activated SSN. Of
    > > course, cursing the Social Security Administration employee who DIDN'T do shit on
    > > the day he applied on June 3.
    >
    > Same thing the SSN was always valid. I assume he just applied for a replacement SSN
    > card that maybe now says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION". Although I
    > believe some J-1s can work.

When we originally went to the SSN and applied - of course, he filled out the form
with the SSN that was issued to him last summer. The SSN employee was perfectly aware
of the situation - and indicated that he "Could NOT use this social security number
until the INS verified his information"
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > We were happy. Felt like the process was moving forward a bit.
    > >
    > > We get home, and guess what's in the mailbox??? A F'ING social security card with
    > > a TOTALLY different number than was JUST issued to him!!! Meaning...he had 2
    > > social security #'s and had just applied for a 3rd one! So, he had to go back to
    > > the SSA today...and they cancelled the one that was issued (and recieved in our
    > > mailbox); the one he just re-applied for; and re-activated his old J-1 visa SSN.
    >
    > If he has been issued 2 SSN, they will be cross referenced in the system as both
    > being his. SSN are not canceled once issued. I would be very surprised if he gets a
    > 3rd SSN. You don't get a new SSN every time you apply. As I said before did he put
    > the original SSN on the applications he filed or tell anyone at SSA he already had
    > a SSN? The system should have caught that he already had an SSN, but there is a
    > reason for questions # 11 (Enter the Social Security number previously assigned to
    > the person listed in item 1) and 12 ( Enter the name shown on the most recent
    > Social Security card ...) on the SS-5 application form

Really...the system would have caught it? My point EXACTLY! The system DIDN'T catch
it. The system didn't catch his original social security number, and when we went in
again on June 24 - they said "You're not in the system at all" --because when we got
home, there was a social security card with a completely different number than he had
last summer on it. We were just at the social security office 30 minutes prior to
this and they could NOT find any info on him in the system! See the dilemma?
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > It's no wonder terrorists' can enter our country freely, fly our planes, and
    > > crash into our buildings....what with 3 social security numbers TEST-you can do
    > > f'ing anything you want to!!!!
    >
    > Social Security employees are not mind readers either, if he didn't say he already
    > had an SSN, he is partly to blame.

He's not to blame! He did fill out the form properly with the past SSN, and also
verbally expressed it.
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > Anyway...that's our experience. If you've entered the US and apply for your SSN
    > > within 30 days of arrival - INS VERIFICATION IS NOT REQUIRED! So, fight them, if
    > > they tell you that it is.
    >
    > Well fasten your seat belt, because it won't be long before there is total
    > verification of INS documents, some offices are doing it now.

Very true, I'm sure.
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > Now....onto AOS next week....please wish us luck. And we sincerely hope this
    > > experience and info helps one of you in the future.
    >
    > Yeah it will give me something to talk about at work tomorrow. LOL
    >
    >
    > Take care,
    >
    > Mike

Take care, too.

~jennifer & peter

Jennifer

"." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<EBbS8.321465$cQ3.18949@sccrnsc01>...
    > > SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met)
    > > on a J-1 visa (working) he HAD a social security number
    >
    > Why, if he had a SSN already, was he applying for another one?? This I don't
    > understand at all.

His social security card that he had when he entered last year on a J-1 visa had:
"Valid for employment from this date to this date" parameters on it. It would have
been stupid to use this card without going to the SSA first, letting them know that
he entered on a K-1 visa, was employment authorized through the K-1, and have the #
generated without the date parameters on it - he needed a new card.
    >
    > You were told 10-20 days and after a grand total of 21 days ("but we've waited
    > 3 weeks") and thought it was too long - did you ask if it might be 10-20
    > working days?

Yes, we are aware of the impatience factor. But the SSA employee did indicate "It
never takes that long, usually 5-10 days"...so of course, after 21 days - we went
back to check on the status of things. Is that so hard to understand? And also -
in hindsight - it's a great thing we did go back, because things were majorly
screwed up!
    >
    > As for bank account, I was a party to our new joint bank account before I'd even
    > applied for an SSN. True, it was at a bank where my husband already had a personal
    > and a business account. Banks do differ.

Yep - we checked with my bank (and 2 others, by the way), and they would not allow us
to add him to the account without a social security
#. We didn't want to go through the whole "changing banks" process (I
have direct deposit, and most of my bills are taken directly out of my account)
because there are so many factors attached to my account there...we just hoped for a
simpler process...like him getting his social security card.
    >
    > You might check the recent archives, the 30 day thing has been discussed here very
    > recently.

As I said, I haven't posted in awhile. My bad -- or I would have been aware of this a
few weeks ago.
    >
    > Good luck with the AOS.

Thanks - good luck to you too.

~jennifer & Peter
    >
    >
    > "Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well...I don't know if you could call it a nightmare...but it's pretty scary,
    > >
    > >
    > > I haven't posted here in awhile. My love arrived (entered on K-1 visa) on May 25,
    > > and we were married on June 7. Peter applied for his SSN on June 3rd, and we were
    > > told it could take 10-20 days to receive the card due to the requirement of INS
    > > verification. Yes, that sucks...but we've waited 3 weeks, and he's been calling
    > > the SSA every day to check on his #...and every day he's told, "You're not in our
    > >
    > > So, on June 24, we decided to visit the SSA again to find out what is going on.
    > > account...basically everything without a SSN (and for things we need for our AOS
    > > interview). Should I even bother describing the inefficiency, complacency, and
    > > ridiculous-ness of our experience going down there a second time? The guy had NO
    > > CLUE...said Peter wasn't in the system at all...and WHY would INS verification be
    > > necessary in the first place? He says - if you apply for your SSN within 30 days
    > > of arriving in the US - INS verification IS NOT REQUIRED. Really?...because we've
    > >
    > > SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met) on a J-1 visa (working) he
    > > HAD a social security number - this # was re-generated and the guy re-issued it
    > > to Peter. He apologized - couldn't understand why Peter wasn't in the system
    > >
    > > So, after several hours at the SSA, we left with Peter's newly activated SSN. Of
    > > course, cursing the Social Security Administration employee who DIDN'T do shit on
    > >
    > >
    > > We get home, and guess what's in the mailbox??? A F'ING social security card with
    > > a TOTALLY different number than was JUST issued to him!!! Meaning...he had 2
    > > social security #'s and had just applied for a 3rd one! So, he had to go back to
    > > the SSA today...and they cancelled the one that was issued (and recieved in our
    > > mailbox); the one he just re-applied for; and re-activated his old J-1 visa SSN.
    > >
    > > It's no wonder terrorists' can enter our country freely, fly our planes, and
    > > crash into our buildings....what with 3 social security numbers TEST-you can do
    > >
    > > Anyway...that's our experience. If you've entered the US and apply for your SSN
    > > within 30 days of arrival - INS VERIFICATION IS NOT REQUIRED! So, fight them, if
    > >
    > > Now....onto AOS next week....please wish us luck. And we sincerely hope this
    > >
    > > ~jennifer & peter (US/NL)

Old Jun 26th 2002, 6:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Jennifer

Do wish (and guess you do too) that you had posted a question here re hubby's old SS card.

The social security card and number remains yours for life. It can't be cancelled but its restrictions can be altered as you've found out. It would be treated in the same fashion as when you have the legend removed after you are approved for a greencard.

BTW even with the restriction he could have been able to use that number for the bank account. The restrictions had only to do with work and not for anything else.

As for time length for SSA to verify INS information, took them almost three months in our case.

Thanks for letting us know your experience. Another tale to add to the memory files.

Rete
Old Jun 26th 2002, 9:20 pm
Mrtravel

L D Jones wrote:
    >
    > Jennifer wrote:
    > >
    > [ ... ]
    > > Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint
    >
    > If you have health insurance you should be able to add your spouse to your ploicy
    > even if he has no SSN. My company used a generated number in their system when I
    > added my wife since she had no SSN then.

Exactly.. In Santa Cruz County, there are a LOT of people that do not believe anyone
other than the government needs this number. So, it is normal for an insurance
company to use another number to identify this person.

Old Jun 27th 2002, 2:20 am
Jennifer

L D Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Jennifer wrote:
    > >
    > [ ... ]
    > > Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint
    >
    > If you have health insurance you should be able to add your spouse to your ploicy
    > even if he has no SSN. My company used a generated number in their system when I
    > added my wife since she had no SSN then.

Yes, I do have health insurance at work, which is $237 a month for a dependant..(not
an option financially right now - an individual plan is much more cost effective) ...
Plus the fact that my work would NOT add him to my policy without a social security
number. Obviously, I have the wrong insurance! : )

But thanks for the tip.

PS: We've not found an individual plan that would allow him to sign up without one
either....

Old Jun 27th 2002, 3:20 am
Jennifer

"Wim Colgate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > You don't need a SSN for health insurance. It's just customary to use the SSN in
    > the health field.
    >
    > As far as I know, a SSN can only be used (legally) for one thing: Taxes.
    >
    > Wim

Hey Wim...

Thanks, but what health insurance company are you speaking of? I've had 3 already
tell me that he MUST have a social security number!

We have his social now, so it's a moot point. But I'm curious. And for future
generations here, that info might be helpful.

Thanks

Jennifer
    >
    > "Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ~jennifer & peter (US/NL)

Old Jun 27th 2002, 8:22 am
Zareahusa

About the bank thing - at Wells Fargo they use your passport number instead, for new
accounts and joint accounts etc. if you tell them you dont have a SSN

Zara

Old Jun 27th 2002, 8:20 pm
Wim Colgate

Premera Blue Cross.

Just DEMAND that you do not want to use a SSN. They will tell you they can't take
anything but a SSN.But they can, they just don't want to.

Wim

> "Wim Colgate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > You don't need a SSN for health insurance. It's just customary to use
the
    > > SSN in the health field.
    > >
    > > As far as I know, a SSN can only be used (legally) for one thing: Taxes.
    > >
    > > Wim
    >
    > Hey Wim...
    >
    > Thanks, but what health insurance company are you speaking of? I've had 3 already
    > tell me that he MUST have a social security number!
    >
    > We have his social now, so it's a moot point. But I'm curious. And for future
    > generations here, that info might be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jennifer
    > >
    > > "Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Well...I don't know if you could call it a nightmare...but it's pretty scary,
    > > > when you think about it...
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > I haven't posted here in awhile. My love arrived (entered on K-1 visa) on May
    > > > 25, and we were married on June 7. Peter applied for his SSN on June 3rd, and
    > > > we were told it could take 10-20 days to receive the card due to the
    > > > requirement of INS verification. Yes, that sucks...but we've waited 3 weeks,
    > > > and he's been calling the SSA every day to check on his #...and every day he's
    > > > told, "You're not in our system, call back again."
    > > >
    > > > So, on June 24, we decided to visit the SSA again to find out what is going on.
    > > > Peter can't work, or apply for health insurance, or a joint banking
    > > > account...basically everything without a SSN (and for things we need for our
    > > > AOS interview). Should I even bother describing the inefficiency, complacency,
    > > > and ridiculous-ness of our experience going down there a second time? The guy
    > > > had NO CLUE...said Peter wasn't in the system at all...and WHY would INS
    > > > verification be necessary in the first place? He says - if you apply for your
    > > > SSN within 30 days of arriving in the US - INS verification IS NOT REQUIRED.
    > > > Really?...because we've been waiting for almost a month!
    > > >
    > > > SO...because Peter was here last summer (when we met) on a J-1 visa (working)
    > > > he HAD a social security number - this # was re-generated and the guy re-issued
    > > > it to Peter. He apologized - couldn't understand why Peter wasn't in the system
    > > > after his June 3 application....
    > > >
    > > > So, after several hours at the SSA, we left with Peter's newly activated SSN.
    > > > Of course, cursing the Social Security Administration employee who DIDN'T do
    > > > shit on the day he applied on June 3.
    > > >
    > > > We were happy. Felt like the process was moving forward a bit.
    > > >
    > > > We get home, and guess what's in the mailbox??? A F'ING social security card
    > > > with a TOTALLY different number than was JUST issued to him!!! Meaning...he had
    > > > 2 social security #'s and had just applied for a 3rd one! So, he had to go back
    > > > to the SSA today...and they cancelled the one that was issued (and recieved in
    > > > our mailbox); the one he just re-applied for; and re-activated his old J-1 visa
    > > > SSN.
    > > >
    > > > It's no wonder terrorists' can enter our country freely, fly our planes, and
    > > > crash into our buildings....what with 3 social security numbers TEST-you can do
    > > > f'ing anything you want to!!!!
    > > >
    > > > Anyway...that's our experience. If you've entered the US and apply for your SSN
    > > > within 30 days of arrival - INS VERIFICATION IS NOT REQUIRED! So, fight them,
    > > > if they tell you that it is.
    > > >
    > > > Now....onto AOS next week....please wish us luck. And we sincerely hope this
    > > > experience and info helps one of you in the future.
    > > >
    > > > ~jennifer & peter (US/NL)

Old Jun 28th 2002, 8:20 pm
Jennifer

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jennifer
    >
    > Do wish (and guess you do too) that you had posted a question here re hubby's old
    > SS card.

Absolutely! I wish I had. That's Lesson #1.
    >
    > The social security card and number remains yours for life. It can't be cancelled
    > but its restrictions can be altered as you've found out. It would be treated in the
    > same fashion as when you have the legend removed after you are approved for a
    > greencard.
    >
    > BTW even with the restriction he could have been able to use that number for the
    > bank account. The restrictions had only to do with work and not for anything else.
    >
    > As for time length for SSA to verify INS information, took them almost three months
    > in our case.

Wow! Just goes to show -- when you think you have it bad, someone's got it better
& worse...

But I think the mis-information from the government agencies is even more frustrating
than the long timelines.
    >
    > Thanks for letting us know your experience. Another tale to add to the
    > memory files.
    >
    > Rete

Thanks Rete...and I will continue to post our experiences in the appropriate
places...AOS next week.

Take care.

~jennifer

Old Jun 29th 2002, 4:20 am
Barbara

We feel your pain!

We filed for my husbands SS around the 1st of May, called a few weeks later and were
happy to hear that he had been assigned the number. The woman who gave him the number
told him that the original estimate on getting the actual card was wrong. Originally
we were given a time frame of 2 weeks or so and she told us it would be more like 8.
After reading a few posts we decided to call them this week again to see what was
going on. Seems the card had been mailed out on May 10th so now we had to go and
apply for a replacement card. Luckily we already have a number to provide them so did
get a document stating that he has a SS# and has applied.

We arent exactly holding our collective breath and won't be surprised if we have to
grace the office with our presence again in a few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.