Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security... Help

Social Security... Help

Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all
Default Social Security... Help

Hi,

Can somebody please help me regarding a name change on a social security card.

Long story......................

I came here in June 2004 on a K1 visa. I applied for a social security number before I got married. I received the number and card no problem. After I got married I went back to the Social Security office and tried to get them to change my name on the card. They said they couldn't do it because they were waiting on immigration. I thought this was strange but took their word.

I received my EAD end of November. At the same time I broke my wrist and hand so I was unable to work. I have been lady of leisure the last few months.

I always meant to go back to the Social Security office and try and change my name again but never did. In meantime I had my AOS interveiw on February 8th and finally got my approval on April 4th.

We jointly filed our taxes and I submitted a spouses personal exemption because I didn't work last year. Of course when we received our rebate check this allowance was refused because my social sercurity and name do not match. No surprises there then. I never even thought about it when we applied.

I went back to Social Security office last friday and tried to change my name. I showed her EAD card and marriage certificate and still she said they couldn't do it because my immigration status is not on the computer!!! She said they would have to write to immigration, and that it would take between 4 and 6 weeks. Any ideas how I can speed this process up and is this correct. My AOS was approved online April 4th and I'm awaitng my Green Card..

I would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

Sue
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security... Help

Errr...try going to another office? Ask to speak to a supervisor...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The resident expert on SS matter is member mdyoung ...A PM to him be be of help...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:12 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suess

I went back to Social Security office last friday and tried to change my name. I showed her EAD card and marriage certificate and still she said they couldn't do it because my immigration status is not on the computer!!! She said they would have to write to immigration, and that it would take between 4 and 6 weeks. Any ideas how I can speed this process up and is this correct. My AOS was approved online April 4th and I'm awaitng my Green Card..
I assume you submitted your application, so if that's the case going to another office isn't an option and probably is going to help anyway, since all the SSA office tap into the same immigrantion info to verify your status.

At this point about all you can do it keep going back to the SSA office to see if they can verify your status.

The status/documents of all aliens must be verified before SSA will
assign an SSN and/or issue a card

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system
while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845
to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the assigning
of an SSN and/or issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

Note: When info is entered into SAVE have the SSA office format your "A" number correctly.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, I suggest that you go back to the
SSA office every week with your documents to (1) ask them to
check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come
back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by
calling or sending another mark "second request."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720
RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735
RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

A. PROCEDURE—COMPLETING THE ONLINE SAVE SCREEN

STEP 3

On the SSA SAVE screen, enter in the appropriate field either the alien registration number (A number)

NOTE: When the A number on the immigration document has 8 or fewer digits, enter leading zeros on the SAVE query screen so that nine digits are entered.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740
RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

After 30 days you can even try calling the immigration office doing the
verification to ask if they received a G-845 and if yes could they please get it back to the SSA office ASAP.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203748
RM 00203.748 List of DHS, USCIS Offices That Verify Immigration
Documents

If they say they never received one, go back to the SSA office and ask
to speak with the office manager and insist that they send another G-845
marked "second request."
After having waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seen concerned about following up on the G-845 or even sending one you can
try contacting the SSA Regional Office (RO) responsible for your state:

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/natlpocontacts.html

Refer them to this:

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

B. PROCEDURE – HOW TO REQUEST MANUAL VERIFICATION

STEP 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration
Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS.

Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS. Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the
follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by
mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the RO. Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.
In the meantime why don't you just file your taxes with the name that is on your SSN card now?

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw124.html

Do I need to change my maiden name to my married name on my social security card for us to file jointly?

You can still file Married Filing Jointly without changing your name with the Social Security Administration. However, you do need to show your maiden name on the tax return instead of your married name.

I got married and I have not changed the name on my social security card to my married name. My Form W-2 is in my married name but my tax forms came in my maiden name. Should I file with my maiden name or married name?

It is important that the name the Social Security Administration has in its system for your social security number agrees with the name on your tax return. You have a choice. You can file with your maiden name and contact the Social Security Administration after you file your return. Or, if you have enough time before the due date of your return, you can contact the Social Security Administration and have your records changed. Please wait 10 days to file your tax return.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to give me such a lengthy reply. You have been of great assistance. I know little of the Social Security system and you have certainly pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks once again

Sue