Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Originally Posted by orudge
Mmh, yes, it does seem that way - as I say, it's one of the first things I'm hoping to try to sort out when I arrive. With regards to other things the OP mentioned and the "catch-22" situations, I'm looking at getting a bank account set up before I head out, which should hopefully help things a bit.
That sounds like a good idea, have you looked in to it? When I tried to open a bank account on-line with Bank of America asked for a Social Security number and Wachovia asked for that plus a driver's license number (and Chase doesn't let non-US citizens open a account on-line at all). Apparently I can open one in person at BofA with:

U.S. government-issued TIN;
Passport number and country of issuance;
Alien identification card number; or
Number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard

but on-line accounts are SS number only. Please do let me know if there's an alternative solution/a more suitable bank. Thanks!

Last edited by agentred; Aug 3rd 2009 at 5:18 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:35 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
If so then that's nuts.....may as well say that your foreign license isn't valid without a loaf of banana nut bread in the car.
Since when has the law in any country, let alone any state within the US, had to make sense?

Often it is a case of a law making perfect sense when it was enacted, but then the world moves on and the law does not. I suspect this is the case here in respect of many foreign licences not having a photo element. Thus the law. An update to acknowledge certain valid foreign licences, given they meet certain criteria, is probably on the way. Eventually. Low priority legal matter compared to raising taxes!

There is the other view that takes the International licence as a lowest common denominator...
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
That sounds like a good idea, have you looked in to it? When I tried to open a bank account on-line with Bank of America asked for a Social Security number and Wachovia asked for that plus a driver's license number (and Chase doesn't let non-US citizens open a account on-line at all). Apparently I can open one in person at BofA with:

U.S. government-issued TIN;
Passport number and country of issuance;
Alien identification card number; or
Number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard

but on-line accounts are SS number only. Please do let me know if there's an alternative solution/a more suitable bank. Thanks!
Wait till you arrive -- much easier!

Bring some cash to tide you over.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

orudge is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a good idea, have you looked in to it? When I tried to open a bank account on-line with Bank of America asked for a Social Security number and Wachovia asked for that plus a driver's license number (and Chase doesn't let non-US citizens open a account on-line at all).
Wells Fargo offers an account for international-types, and say that you don't have to provide the SSN until you arrive. Obviously, you have to provide them with a fair amount of other information (including passport numbers, driving licence if available, ideally a letter of recommendation from your previous bank, and so on), but it looks like it might be worth thinking about. I've not decided for sure if I will go for this, but it seems tempting, unless anybody has any thoughts otherwise?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orudge
Wells Fargo offers an account for international-types, and say that you don't have to provide the SSN until you arrive. Obviously, you have to provide them with a fair amount of other information (including passport numbers, driving licence if available, ideally a letter of recommendation from your previous bank, and so on), but it looks like it might be worth thinking about. I've not decided for sure if I will go for this, but it seems tempting, unless anybody has any thoughts otherwise?
The banking part of Wells Fargo is basically west coast. They've recently grabbed Wachovia which was more east coast, though unsure whether the London office can open a Wachovia account for you. Banking with a bank that hasn't got a branch where you live could prove more than irritating. What's the rush on opening the bank account before you arrive?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The banking part of Wells Fargo is basically west coast. They've recently grabbed Wachovia which was more east coast, though unsure whether the London office can open a Wachovia account for you. Banking with a bank that hasn't got a branch where you live could prove more than irritating. What's the rush on opening the bank account before you arrive?

That's a very smart point about the London office, I'm gonna look in to that. I just like to have as many things prepared in advance so I can spend my first few days in the states gorging on Twinkies and Chik-fil-a instead of worrying about bank accounts. But you're probably right, it'll be much easier to open one after arrive.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:20 pm
Septicity

That's a very smart point about the London office, I'm gonna look in to that. I just like to have as many things prepared in advance so I can spend my first few days in the states gorging on Twinkies and Chik-fil-a instead of worrying about bank accounts. But you're probably right, it'll be much easier to open one after arrive.
Been to look at your first post -- you're moving to Philly!

A Wells Fargo checking account would be the proverbial chocolate teapot for you. Wachovia would be better.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Been to look at your first post -- you're moving to Philly!

A Wells Fargo checking account would be the proverbial chocolate teapot for you. Wachovia would be better.
Roger roger, those twinkies will just have to wait