Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

Originally Posted by celticgrid
a) PA will let you drive on the UK license for a year.

b) On the hire car front, in theory you could arrange that from the UK, as a holiday rental. Much cheaper, though not strictly true, of course.
a) While that may be true, insurance would be a LOT cheaper with a US license.

b) Yeah, unknown if there would be issues though. This is what I did (3 week rental), and prayed I didn't need the insurance. I took out the cheaper of the two CDW options and as it happens it was a good job as I cracked the bumper! ..... driving too fast down a slope into Wendy's parking lot.....must have been hungry....

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Jul 23rd 2009 at 11:14 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:37 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Social Security, Drivers License, Bank Account, Insurance, Apartment

I thought if you were on a non-immigrant visa you could drive on your UK license for a year before you had to get a state one?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:02 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) While that may be true, insurance would be a LOT cheaper with a US license.
This wasn't the case.

The insurance company were simply interested in if I was legally allowed to drive as far as PA were concerned. They did not want to be informed as and when I got a PA license. They were also prepared to take into account a letter I brought across in respect of UK driving history, and to apply that history to the records. Insurance was (and still is) just over $100 per month on a very comprehensive policy.

I visited the insurance company in person, sat down and talked through all this - I think that is a much better approach than just trying to do things online or over the phone. Quite often I find there's a lot of 'non-standard' things that they can do when you follow a very personal communication path.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:11 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryl
I thought if you were on a non-immigrant visa you could drive on your UK license for a year before you had to get a state one?
It probably (of course) differs by state, but PA recognises a foreign license backed up by an International permit for 12 months, irrespective of visa type. A US out-of-state licence is only good for 60 days though. Go figure!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance was (and still is) just over $100 per month on a very comprehensive policy.
Yeah that's about what mine would have been with a UK license.....when I told them I was about to take my US test, they said with a US license it would drop to $440 per 6 months.

PA recognises a foreign license backed up by an International permit for 12 months, irrespective of visa type.
International 'permits' are merely translations for your original foreign license, and are hence useless for UK license holders.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 1:47 pm
Wondering if...

Yeah that's about what mine would have been with a UK license.....when I told them I was about to take my US test, they said with a US license it would drop to $440 per 6 months.
Clearly different rates apply to different driver / car combos. I've since reinsured in NY, with a NY license, etc. and the rate dropped about $5 for the 6 month period. So, no difference.

International 'permits' are merely translations for your original foreign license, and are hence useless for UK license holders.
A UK license on its own is not acceptable. It must be supported by the International permit. Yes there's a translation element to the document but because there are so many variations on a theme for foreign licenses that additional document is required. At least, it is in PA. If EITHER the foreign license or International permit expire then PA won't let you dirve.

As I actually drove on an Isle of Man license...! Not sure how many of those the PA authorities see each year.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you've only got the old style paper license, then they are handy as they have a photo element. Doesn't make any difference to the rate of insurance though and anyone claiming that it does is pulling a line.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll pick up an international certificate from the post office for my License.

In another weird twist, the dealership says they'd be happy to sell me whatever car I want without a PA license. In fact they said they've sold to people without any sort of license. I think it's because it's a collector car dealership, so they're happy to sell it to you under the assumption that you're not going to drive it, you're just going to keep it in a glass jar in your mansion.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:07 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

H1-B at age 22 - congratulations
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
H1-B at age 22 - congratulations
Thanks, fingers crossed!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:48 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryl
Not only do these rules vary state-by-state, but in a relatively recent thread, someone finally convinced me that you cannot drive in Texas for a full year on a UK license. I did when I arrived (well, about 7 months) with no trouble, but then I wasn't stopped by the police. Someone here got a ticket for providing a UK license when they'd been here for longer than 30 days, and I seem to remember that it all depends on whether you are "resident" in Texas, which you are as soon as you rent or buy a place here.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

orudge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Not only do these rules vary state-by-state, but in a relatively recent thread, someone finally convinced me that you cannot drive in Texas for a full year on a UK license. I did when I arrived (well, about 7 months) with no trouble, but then I wasn't stopped by the police. Someone here got a ticket for providing a UK license when they'd been here for longer than 30 days, and I seem to remember that it all depends on whether you are "resident" in Texas, which you are as soon as you rent or buy a place here.
I am in pretty much the same situation (same age, too!) as the original poster. In my case, as far as I can tell, Minnesota requires you to sit a driving test within 60 days, although the web site does say this applies to resident "from another state", which I take to mean another US state. It doesn't specifically say anything about people from another country. I've found a couple of other web sites that suggest one can drive on a foreign licence for a year in MN, so it's all slightly confusing! I think my intention will be to try to take a test as soon as I can, regardless.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orudge
I am in pretty much the same situation (same age, too!) as the original poster. In my case, as far as I can tell, Minnesota requires you to sit a driving test within 60 days, although the web site does say this applies to resident "from another state", which I take to mean another US state. It doesn't specifically say anything about people from another country. I've found a couple of other web sites that suggest one can drive on a foreign licence for a year in MN, so it's all slightly confusing! I think my intention will be to try to take a test as soon as I can, regardless.
Not pointed at you but hitchhiking off your thought...

In a way, the argument is moot. A US driver's license is a need for so many *other* things than driving that getting one ASAP makes very good sense.

As evidenced by the test, a DL is a different creature in the US vs the UK.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

orudge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by meauxna
In a way, the argument is moot. A US driver's license is a need for so many *other* things than driving that getting one ASAP makes very good sense.
Mmh, yes, it does seem that way - as I say, it's one of the first things I'm hoping to try to sort out when I arrive. With regards to other things the OP mentioned and the "catch-22" situations, I'm looking at getting a bank account set up before I head out, which should hopefully help things a bit.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

A UK license on its own is not acceptable. It must be supported by the International permit. Yes there's a translation element to the document but because there are so many variations on a theme for foreign licenses that additional document is required. At least, it is in PA. If EITHER the foreign license or International permit expire then PA won't let you dirve.
If so then that's nuts.....may as well say that your foreign license isn't valid without a loaf of banana nut bread in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.