Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social security department - US embassy London

Social security department - US embassy London

Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Needgreencardhelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social security department - US embassy London

I am a USC but have never had a social security number as have never lived in the US but am planning the move in the next few months. I was wondering if anyone had experience of getting a SSN from the US embassy in London and how quick the process is?

I understand if one does it in the US it takes 7-10 working days (in normal cases) but I cannot seem to find the information if one does the application in London as this is where I am currently residing.

Many thanks for your help!

Gabriel
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:17 pm
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all
Default Re: Social security department - US embassy London

Why not give them a call and find out?

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...u_contact.html
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Needgreencardhelp
I am a USC but have never had a social security number as have never lived in the US but am planning the move in the next few months. I was wondering if anyone had experience of getting a SSN from the US embassy in London and how quick the process is?

I understand if one does it in the US it takes 7-10 working days (in normal cases) but I cannot seem to find the information if one does the application in London as this is where I am currently residing.

Many thanks for your help!

Gabriel
My Little girls application for passport and ssn took a little over a week. That was just under three years ago.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if anyone had experience of getting a SSN from the US embassy in London and how quick the process is?
I don't believe you can get a SSN issued outside the US. If you're applying for an immigrant visa, there's a place to check that you want a SSN issued automatically - but issuance doesn't happen until after you're inside the US. The only option, therefore, is to apply once you're in the US... and you should wait about 10 business days before applying. This gives US immigration time to enter your details into the SAVE system which SSA uses to check your immigration status. If you go to early, you won't be in the system and SSA will then need to manually verify your status... and that can take up to 10 weeks. That all said, you don't need a SSN in order to begin work as long as you can show that you have applied for a number.

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP states that he is a USC. He is not applying for an immigrant visa.

The mods didn't set up a forum coffee pot for you, did they.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
... If you're applying for an immigrant visa, there's a place to check that you want a SSN issued automatically - but issuance doesn't happen until after you're inside the US. ...

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I'm taking the day off.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, JEff
It's his birthday he is probably on something stronger than coffee, or he should be.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The OP states that he is a USC.
D'Oh!

I blame Rene!

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

I am a USC but have never had a social security number as have never lived in the US
Were you born in the US or outside? If in the US you should have got a SSN at birth? If outside you should have got one when you got registered as a USC?

My girls were born in the UK and got their SSNs at the same time as they got their Consular Report of Birth Abroad paperwork after we had been to register them at the US Embassy.

Maybe you do have a SSN but you don't know what it is?

Sorry I'm no expert but just thought I'd chip in as you clearly can't rely on the "experts" today...

Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Were you born in the US or outside? If in the US you should have got a SSN at birth?
Only if one was applied for. It's not automatic.

If outside you should have got one when you got registered as a USC?
Again, only if one was applied for. It's not automatic (to my knowledge)

My girls were born in the UK and got their SSNs at the same time as they got their Consular Report of Birth Abroad paperwork after we had been to register them at the US Embassy.
And you never had to fill out a SS application? You never checked any kind of box on any form which said to issue a SSN to them?

Rene
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Yes we must have done, Rene... but why wouldn't his parents have done that?

I guess it's possible that he doesn't have one. Also possible that he has a SSN but doesn't know it...? If so I guess that would be discovered when he applies for one!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to ask him or his parents what they did or didn't do, and why.

You really do need to stop assuming that everyone thinks the way you do, and would do what you did.

Regards, JEff

Yes we must have done, Rene... but why wouldn't his parents have done that?

I guess it's possible that he doesn't have one. Also possible that he has a SSN but doesn't know it...? If so I guess that would be discovered when he applies for one!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I would like the OP to come back please and confirm how he became a USC and to confirm that he definitely doesn't have a SSN.

I was only trying to highlight the possibility that he might have one already but doesn't know it. (And it's also of course possible that his parents chose not to apply for a SSN when he was born or was registered as a USC.)

Either way, to answer the original question, the best thing would be to contact the USC section of the London embassy to see if they can help?

http://london.usembassy.gov/service.html
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Needgreencardhelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I would like the OP to come back please and confirm how he became a USC and to confirm that he definitely doesn't have a SSN.

I was only trying to highlight the possibility that he might have one already but doesn't know it. (And it's also of course possible that his parents chose not to apply for a SSN when he was born or was registered as a USC.)

Either way, to answer the original question, the best thing would be to contact the USC section of the London embassy to see if they can help?

http://london.usembassy.gov/service.html
It is a long story how I became a USC which I may share another time! One thing I can most definitely guarantee is that I do NOT have an SSN! I only became a US citizen 4 months ago.

Thank you all for your advice - this forum has proven once again to be extremely beneficial!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok fair enough! Sorry! In the link I posted, in the left menu you can click on social security and it tells you how to get one, in case you didn't already know. Not sure how long it takes but it was pretty quick for my kids. And another poster in the beginning of this thread too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.