Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social security card

Social security card

Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

miss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to all
Default Social security card

I have been here 6 weeks already and no sign of my social security card and as such, no job!

How long did it take other people who have moved from UK to USA to get theirs? It's driving me nuts...3 weeks my arse!!!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security card

You don't need the social security card to apply for a job (or to accept one and start work). Green card and passport are acceptable ID for the I-9.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_monkey
I have been here 6 weeks already and no sign of my social security card and as such, no job!

How long did it take other people who have moved from UK to USA to get theirs? It's driving me nuts...3 weeks my arse!!!
It's helpful if you mention that you came on a CR-1 Immigrant Visa as the spouse of a USC.

It might be that your SS application slipped through the cracks. You can go in person to your local SS office and turn in a new application. They can tell you if you have an application pending or if you need to turn in a new one.

If you need to do a new one, it takes about 2 weeks to get your SS card in the mail afterward.

Bring your passport with your endorsed Immigrant Visa with you to the SS office. You can also fill out the SSN application form ahead of time online and print it out to bring with you, instead of filling it out by hand at their office.

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

miss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to allmiss_monkey is a name known to all

Great, I better redouble my efforts to find a job then lol. As a matter of interest, does the same apply to applying for a driver's license and opening a bank account? Would they accept the same information or do I really have to wait for the SS card for that one?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Great, I better redouble my efforts to find a job then lol. As a matter of interest, does the same apply to applying for a driver's license and opening a bank account? Would they accept the same information or do I really have to wait for the SS card for that one?
Every state will be different on the SSN for driver's license; you'll have to check. If you supply the number and they are running it through their verification, they may not need to see the card itself. But, you need the number (you can access the number a day or two after applying.. if you are in the system, your number will be available for SSA to see on their computers).

BTW, did you get your green card yet, or a Welcome Letter? If you were expecting something in 3 weeks and it's been 6, don't sit around cursing the dark.. do something. If you haven't had any contact from CIS (the letter or green card), your immigrant packet may not have been processed properly. This is the time to start chasing things up.

You should be able to open a non-interest bearing bank account without a SSN.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks meauxna for replying. I've already got the green card as I chased that up. The lady at the SSA said that the social security number might have been held up because, at that point, I didn't have my green card.

When I called USCIS they had only just received my immigration packet (3 weeks after I entered the country) and the SSA should have received it after USCIS were done so I'm expecting it this week. But I am going to phone this week to see what's going on. I just want to be done with all the paperwork.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hahahah.. that's a good one, it doesn't end for ages yet!
We were just laughing about one of our recently naturalized Brits here, and how his US wife has nothing left to nag him about but his haircuts now.

If you decide to call instead of go into the office, ask them if your status has been verified in SAVE and your card production ordered. If not, it sounds like you'll need to go in and apply in person. The DS-230 application usually works, but sometimes...

If your number has been issued, they won't give it to you over the phone anymore, but if you urgently need it, you can go into the office to get the number, and then wait for the card.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

drivers license in your state, no idea....though letter from SS office saying you've applied might do the job.

As for bank, they don't need a SSN, so talk to someone senior. It's an issue that has come up lots, even a few recent threads talking about this, and info in the wiki.