Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social security card

Social security card

Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:29 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social security card

Hello,
As a first time poster on this forum Can anyone tell me, how I change my temporary Social Security card to a permanent one, now I'm a PR? Can I do it online or do I have to pop down to the local office. Thanking you profusely in advance.

PS Yes, I did a bloody search for it, but got too many results
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Social security card

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Can anyone tell me, how I change my temporary Social Security card to a permanent one, now I'm a PR?
Sorry, no I can't.

But I know a very helpful chap called mdyoung who is gagging for Karma, and he can DEFINITELY answer this one.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:49 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
As a first time poster on this forum Can anyone tell me, how I change my temporary Social Security card to a permanent one, now I'm a PR? Can I do it online or do I have to pop down to the local office. Thanking you profusely in advance.

I think you take the PR notification to the local office and they send you a new card that doesn't have the "valid only with INS work authorisation" bit on it.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:53 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think you take the PR notification to the local office and they send you a new card that doesn't have the "valid only with INS work authorisation" bit on it.
Thanks Manc, I shall try that on my next trip to Home Depot...(they're close)
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:55 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
Manc's right.

IIRC you'll need to re-do the form SS-5 for your new card.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Manc's right.

That's the one the grumpy security guard will shove at me then
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Manc's right.

Not sure if you noticed, but that was your 1000th post!

FlyergirlUK
Former Blonde

Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

That's the one the grumpy security guard will shove at me then
Surely the same guards don't work at your SSA office too? Do you mean the Hispanic or Afro-American?

Sorry, mustn't generalise
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Woo Hoo and she did it in such a jovial, drunken, carefree way as well

Happy 1000
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:01 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Great innit?!

It's only taken me two years to get to 1000 posts!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:02 am
Former Blonde

Woo Hoo and she did it in such a jovial, drunken, carefree way as well

Happy 1000
LOL Don't normally have time for this bantery-bollocks!!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:04 am

Great innit?!

It's only taken me two years to get to 1000 posts!!
Errmm, ummm, ohh, yes it takes a while doesn't it?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:08 am
Former Blonde

Errmm, ummm, ohh, yes it takes a while doesn't it?
Sure, when you have a life it does.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Others have told you how to remove the legend from the card. I just want to correct a misconception you have and others have bypassed. There is no such animal as a temporary social security card. The one you received is permanent and the number is yours for your lifetime. The only difference in the card after residency is granted is that you don't have a legend stating valid for employment with CIS authorization.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:28 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, no I can't.

But I know a very helpful chap called mdyoung who is gagging for Karma, and he can DEFINITELY answer this one.
Farthest thing from my mind. If there is a way to transfer it you can have mine.

OK now on to the question at hand. You can mail in the application or apply in person. No online application for SSN cards. If it was me I would apply in person, since I don't think you want to be putting your I-551 stamp or card in the mail.

Find nearest SSA office:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/locator

You need form SS-5:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

You need proof of identity and your permanant resident status to be issued an unrestricted SSN card. If you have the 2 or 10 year I-551 card, that works for both. If you only have the I-551 stamp, you need something else for identity and since the I-551 stamp is in your passport, the passport is all you need.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410
RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#A4
RM 00203.200 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The status/documents of all aliens must be verified before SSA will
assign an SSN and/or issue a card.

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system
while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845
to immigration for manual verification.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that you go back to the
SSA office no more than once a week with your documents to (1) ask them
to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come
back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by
calling or sending another mark "second request."
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720
RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735
RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740
RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

After 30 days you can even try calling the immigration office doing the
verification to ask if they received a G-845 and if yes could they
please get it back to the SSA office ASAP.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203748
RM 00203.748 List of DHS, USCIS Offices That Verify Immigration
Documents

If they say they never received one, go back to the SSA office and ask
to speak with the office manager and insist that they send another G-845
marked "second request."
After having waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't
seen concerned about following up on the G-845 you can try contacting
the SSA Regional Office (RO) responsible for your state:

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/natlpocontacts.html

Refer them to this:

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

B. PROCEDURE – HOW TO REQUEST MANUAL VERIFICATION

STEP 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving
the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from
the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS
Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal
work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from
DHS.

Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS. Some SSA offices have an
arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up
contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated
“second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15
federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by
mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845
to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up
contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays
(again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work
days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from
DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the RO. Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

You will retain the originally assigned SSN.

Last edited by mdyoung; Nov 15th 2005 at 1:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.