Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Card

Social Security Card

Old Oct 15th 2001, 4:28 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Can i apply for a social security card for me and my son and get married the same day? Reason im asking is that i thought that you had to be single to apply?

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2001, 5:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

K,

It might make for a very busy day, but other than scheduling problems there's no reason why you can't get married and apply for a Social Security card on the same day.

Do you really think that in the case of a married person without a SS card, when they one day need the card they have to get divorced before they can apply?

Originally posted by K
Can i apply for a social security card for me and my son and get married the same day? Reason im asking is that i thought that you had to be single to apply?

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2001, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

>thought that you had to be single to apply?

Huh?

Where DID you get that one from? Have you ever heard of the Revenue NOT giving anyone the means to be able to pay them money

Mind you, I am applying for an SSN as soon as I am there.

We may hit all the usual junk from dumb SS people who don't think K-1 visa holders can get a work enabled SSN, to them not being able to find me on the computer yet: "Come back next week"... Oh well. If I have to take an extra week off work for my honeymoon, so be it!

Brian.

Old Oct 15th 2001, 5:38 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

I just thought that when you arrive on a k1/k2 visa that you need to be still single to apply for the social security card.

Thanks