Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security before L1 visa?

Social Security before L1 visa?

Old May 10th 2017, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Cincibound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Security before L1 visa?

hi, im over in the US at the moment for some meetings during which time my L1 visa is being processed. Id like to get ahead and apply for my social security - is it possible?
im still at the petition stage of my application.

Jess
Old May 10th 2017, 5:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security before L1 visa?

Without a visa entitling you to work you cannot apply for an SSN. Full stop.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:46 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Once you're approved and move here just lookup your local office and head there.

I arrived on an L1 last January and went into the social security office 3 days later, got my card within 7 days of my appointment.

Tip: go early and queue outside before they open
Old May 11th 2017, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Visa first then SSN

As stated - go early - take all documentation - stand behind the blue line - dont joke around
Old May 14th 2017, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

You can;t even get a previously-issued SSN re-issued to you, because you've forgotten it. (I tried).
Old May 14th 2017, 3:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan
You can;t even get a previously-issued SSN re-issued to you, because you've forgotten it. (I tried).
It's on your tax returns.
Old May 14th 2017, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

It's on your tax returns.
There was an implied, but apperently uninferrable, 'and I had no record of it' with that 'forgotten.
Old May 14th 2017, 5:27 pm

There was an implied, but apperently uninferrable, 'and I had no record of it' with that 'forgotten.
Agreed, and understood. .... But that it might have been recoverable more easily than from the SSA, e.g. from a tax preparation company or even direct from the IRS.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2017 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 14th 2017, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Agreed, and understood. .... But that it might have been recoverable more easily than from the SSA, e.g. from a tax preparation company or even direct from the IRS.
gee, I don't know why you're having such a hard time with this. You keep making claims that are not applicable to the circumstance I was in. And besides, the question being answered was whether the SSA would give you the information or not.
Old May 14th 2017, 6:04 pm

gee, I don't know why you're having such a hard time with this. You keep making claims that are not applicable to the circumstance I was in. And besides, the question being answered was whether the SSA would give you the information or not.
I'm not having a hard time, you are. ... You don't get to determine the advice you receive, and many other people read this forum for advice, not just the person who asked the question, so "corollary advice" may be useful, even if the OP doesn't find it applicable.
Old May 14th 2017, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Once you're approved and move here just lookup your local office and head there.

I arrived on an L1 last January and went into the social security office 3 days later, got my card within 7 days of my appointment.

Tip: go early and queue outside before they open
hello , we will be going to san Jose in June and can we book app with social security online to avoid the queue? thanks
Old May 15th 2017, 5:00 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
hello , we will be going to san Jose in June and can we book app with social security online to avoid the queue? thanks
Nope, it's a turn up, get a ticket, wait in line special. Hence advice of getting there early before the doors open. Each time i've gone i've arrived 30 minutes prior to opening, saves the waiting time in the actual office.
Old May 15th 2017, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
No.

Rene