British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Social Security before L1 visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/social-security-before-l1-visa-896602/)

Cincibound May 10th 2017 5:43 pm

Social Security before L1 visa?

hi, im over in the US at the moment for some meetings during which time my L1 visa is being processed. Id like to get ahead and apply for my social security - is it possible?
im still at the petition stage of my application.

Jess

Pulaski May 10th 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Social Security before L1 visa?

Without a visa entitling you to work you cannot apply for an SSN. Full stop.

Jack8602 May 10th 2017 6:46 pm

Once you're approved and move here just lookup your local office and head there.

I arrived on an L1 last January and went into the social security office 3 days later, got my card within 7 days of my appointment.

Tip: go early and queue outside before they open :)

Geckz May 11th 2017 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12249827)

:goodpost:

Visa first then SSN :)

As stated - go early - take all documentation - stand behind the blue line - dont joke around :)

ubernathan May 14th 2017 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12249827)

You can;t even get a previously-issued SSN re-issued to you, because you've forgotten it. (I tried).

Pulaski May 14th 2017 3:52 am

Originally Posted by ubernathan (Post 12252208)
You can;t even get a previously-issued SSN re-issued to you, because you've forgotten it. (I tried).

It's on your tax returns. :confused:

ubernathan May 14th 2017 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12252222)
It's on your tax returns. :confused:

There was an implied, but apperently uninferrable, 'and I had no record of it' with that 'forgotten.

Pulaski May 14th 2017 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by ubernathan (Post 12252521)
There was an implied, but apperently uninferrable, 'and I had no record of it' with that 'forgotten.

Agreed, and understood. :o .... But that it might have been recoverable more easily than from the SSA, e.g. from a tax preparation company or even direct from the IRS.

ubernathan May 14th 2017 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12252525)
Agreed, and understood. :o .... But that it might have been recoverable more easily than from the SSA, e.g. from a tax preparation company or even direct from the IRS.

gee, I don't know why you're having such a hard time with this. You keep making claims that are not applicable to the circumstance I was in. And besides, the question being answered was whether the SSA would give you the information or not.

Pulaski May 14th 2017 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ubernathan (Post 12252533)
gee, I don't know why you're having such a hard time with this. You keep making claims that are not applicable to the circumstance I was in. And besides, the question being answered was whether the SSA would give you the information or not.

I'm not having a hard time, you are. ... You don't get to determine the advice you receive, and many other people read this forum for advice, not just the person who asked the question, so "corollary advice" may be useful, even if the OP doesn't find it applicable.

S.Susan May 14th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12249865)
Once you're approved and move here just lookup your local office and head there.

I arrived on an L1 last January and went into the social security office 3 days later, got my card within 7 days of my appointment.

Tip: go early and queue outside before they open :)

hello , we will be going to san Jose in June and can we book app with social security online to avoid the queue? thanks

Jack8602 May 15th 2017 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by S.Susan (Post 12252556)
hello , we will be going to san Jose in June and can we book app with social security online to avoid the queue? thanks

Nope, it's a turn up, get a ticket, wait in line special. Hence advice of getting there early before the doors open. Each time i've gone i've arrived 30 minutes prior to opening, saves the waiting time in the actual office.

Noorah101 May 15th 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by S.Susan (Post 12252556)

No.

Rene