Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

social life - church?

social life - church?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of
Default Re: social life - church?

First, thanks to everyone for your kind replies - mostly very helpful.

Originally Posted by willmore
Kids? Wonderful way to meet people by taking the kids to school and hanging out in the playground area when you drop them and pick them up. Also volunteering at the school is a good way.
Concerning this sensible suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that at our kids' school - it's a car line for pick-ups only.

However, this raises another question we are struggling with. Our daughter (kindergarten) has been invited on a number of playdates with classmates, which is great. BUT, none of the mothers of girls in her class has accepted our return invitations for their daughters to come over to our house. Now, I wondered at first if our little princess was misbehaving and hence putting folks off, but no, she has been invited for return visits. We also wondered if they were worried about safety, so we made it clear that the mothers were more than welcome to come too. Still no acceptances. What's going on?? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again all.

ST
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swisstony

Concerning this sensible suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that at our kids' school - it's a car line for pick-ups only.

However, this raises another question we are struggling with. Our daughter (kindergarten) has been invited on a number of playdates with classmates, which is great. BUT, none of the mothers of girls in her class has accepted our return invitations for their daughters to come over to our house. Now, I wondered at first if our little princess was misbehaving and hence putting folks off, but no, she has been invited for return visits. We also wondered if they were worried about safety, so we made it clear that the mothers were more than welcome to come too. Still no acceptances. What's going on?? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again all.

ST
I found those car lines a real shock when I came over - so hard to get to know anyone.

No idea why the kids are not coming to your house - do they actually say "No"? Maybe the invitation is too vague?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I found those car lines a real shock when I came over - so hard to get to know anyone.

No idea why the kids are not coming to your house - do they actually say "No"? Maybe the invitation is too vague?
Although I haven't experienced that I remember reading on here sometime ago about something similar. In fact one child had a birthday party and no one came...some didn't refuse just never turned up.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

well, they kind of fudge it; 'she's not confident about visting another family' or 'it would be better if your little gitl comes here' or sometimes the time doesn;t work if the playdate is 'outbound' rather than 'incoming'. We've really noticed this. Strange it seems only to be with the girls.. Our son (grade 3) has had boys over on playdates and has visited these boys on return trips and even had sleepovers....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again all.

ST
I've found this same kind of problem, especially with invitations that are sent home in school bags. Are you able to speak to the parents directly and ask them? That might help.

The whole car line thing makes getting to know parents really difficult unless you go out of your way. I was hoping to meet folk in the playground but it doesn't work like that here sadly.

Just saw your last reply, I wonder if it's because the kids involved are younger and the parents overprotective? Who knows...maybe it will get easier as she gets older.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:40 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No clash with UU. You can happily believe whatever you want.
Am I completely missing the point here? UU is still a religious organization, is it not? Then how can it be compatible with being Atheist? I didn't say agnostic, or spiritual. I don't believe in God, the soul, spirituality...

...and how could I possibly respect a congregation that let someone like me in?!

Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I arrived here and without the contacts I had back in the UK
Any decent optician should be able to set you up with some new ones ...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Am I completely missing the point here? UU is still a religious organization, is it not?
http://www.uunashua.org/100quest.shtml

Then how can it be compatible with being Atheist? I didn't say agnostic, or spiritual. I don't believe in God, the soul, spirituality...
You've not written anything that would be incompatible with being a member. If you have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any spirituality, then you might find the sermon of little interest. But the service itself is such a small part of many UU congregations.

...and how could I possibly respect a congregation that let someone like me in?!
It's the only congregation I can attend without wanting to break something or someone afterwards.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

'it would be better if your little gitl comes here'
Quickly read that as "your little git"
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a food co-op in your town or nearby? You could join, meet people there, consider volunteering or even getting on the board etc. Other similar volunteering/governance type opportunities may include the public library, farmers' market, public radio station etc.. these are areas where community involvement at the local level (certainly in small towns) is stronger in the USA than Britain, I think.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
http://www.uunashua.org/100quest.shtml

You've not written anything that would be incompatible with being a member. If you have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any spirituality, then you might find the sermon of little interest. But the service itself is such a small part of many UU congregations.

It's the only congregation I can attend without wanting to break something or someone afterwards.
That's interesting... It all seems kind of wishy washy to me. You can believe in anything you want or nothing at all. It seems the common denominator of the congregation is that there is none.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's interesting... It all seems kind of wishy washy to me. You can believe in anything you want or nothing at all. It seems the common denominator of the congregation is that there is none.
But there are certainly common denominators to the congregation. It's just not based on faith in any one religion. You get to choose all the benefits of church (community, networking, doing a bit of good, broadening the mind, finding a spiritual path, etc.) without the great drawbacks of the conventional ones. As long as you're not a rabid, right-wing nut job (the politics tend to be fairly left by American standards), you'll find a pleasant community home like church -- which is why I recommended it to the OP

BTW, Adams was a Unitarian.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jan 28th 2009 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:33 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Talking from my personal experience, the church lot in my neck of the woods are the last people I want to hang out with.

They have affairs on each other, they think anyone that doesn't go to their particular church is the devil themselves, they are selfish the list goes on.

I began co-coaching my daughters soccer team, 2 years ago, and all the parents are great. We regularly meet up and each others homes so the kids can play, the adults grill food and drink beer.

We have been invited to a Superbowl party this Sunday, they are a great group of people to hang out with!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
What's happened to your avatar, it's a little pink, no?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
What's happened to your avatar, it's a little pink, no?
I like to change it up once in a while...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.