Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SOCCER / FOOTBALL TEAM REQUIRED (NEW YORK)

SOCCER / FOOTBALL TEAM REQUIRED (NEW YORK)

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

francesco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOCCER / FOOTBALL TEAM REQUIRED (NEW YORK)

Hi,

I am moving to New York on the 13th November 2010 and am looking to join an eleven aside or a 5 aside football team. I play to a fairly good standard in the UK so I am keen to continue in the US.

Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOCCER / FOOTBALL TEAM REQUIRED (NEW YORK)

Originally Posted by francesco
Hi,

I am moving to New York on the 13th November 2010 and am looking to join an eleven aside or a 5 aside football team. I play to a fairly good standard in the UK so I am keen to continue in the US.

Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks
try this:

http://www.metrosoccerny.com/welcome.php
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

thanks mate
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Check out any groups of Facebook, meetup.com and email local colleges as they'll probably know about leagues too...
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:00 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Check out any groups of Facebook, meetup.com and email local colleges as they'll probably know about leagues too...
+1 Another thing you can do is find out if there are any areas where there are regular pickup games. There's quite a few here in Houston and a lot of the guys play in teams - good place to meet potential new team mates. Afraid I can't help specifically with NYC though...

Here, they're often at the university/school grounds or at parks.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Slightly related, but the 11 year old female team was playing a boys team yesterday, scrimmage as they call it.

1-1 after normal time so they played sudden death, girls won.

One of the boys complained to 11 year old about rather harsh tackling, she told him to 'Man Up'.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 10:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Slightly related, but the 11 year old female team was playing a boys team yesterday, scrimmage as they call it.

One of the boys complained to 11 year old about rather harsh tackling, she told him to 'Man Up'.

Having laughed, I do sympathize... I've played co-ed here and some of the women go in very very hard, knowing that the guys just can't go into tackles like that and get away with it.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx has always been a big gathering place for nationalities that play soccer. I think they have a number of pitches there (though they probably call them fields!). I suggest Googling it and then stopping by when you arrive.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

I guess I'm assuming you mean NYC, but when you say "New York", do you mean the state or New York City? New York State is 54,556 square miles, and the city is only about 0.86% of it (even if it is darned near half the state's population). It isn't even our capital.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Neko128
I guess I'm assuming you mean NYC, but when you say "New York", do you mean the state or New York City? New York State is 54,556 square miles, and the city is only about 0.86% of it (even if it is darned near half the state's population). It isn't even our capital.
thanks for all the comments, I will be looking in to this. NEKO128, I will be in Manhattan if you know of any teams there? I think i'm going to try the Manhattan Celtics.....
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx has always been a big gathering place for nationalities that play soccer. I think they have a number of pitches there (though they probably call them fields!). I suggest Googling it and then stopping by when you arrive.
brilliant, thanks!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler

haha, didn't the American team with the women's world cup?