Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Wikiposts

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who is allowed to ask these things?

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Yep. I had to do the same thing when I was a cashier at Kroger and Winn-Dixie. I would enter in a dummy DOB if the person was definitely over 18/21. I wasn't going to ask a 30, 40 or 50 y/o for their id.
ive never been asked for my date of birth. when that bit comes up the cashier either types in their own or a dummy - as i can see what they say on the receipt as its printed.

i wasnt sure if they thought it wanted the seller to be over 21 so they were putting in theor own? or they didnt want to ask me for mine.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Slightly off-topic, but... Something that annoys me more and more is that some stores now have a policy that they won't accept returns without having tons of information on you. I get a lot of "Can I have your ZIP code" when buying stuff at the checkout, and I always reply "No, sorry" as politely as possible, but now they're asking for ZIP codes and phone numbers at the returns desk. Mrs Ski returned something at Target the other week, and they asked for her driver's license... Thinking they were just going to look at it, she handed it over, but they took it and scanned the damn thing. WTF do you need that for? It's a frigging blouse!

Argh! IT MAKES ME MAAAAD!!!

:curse::curse::curse:
Some stores have a limit as to how much you can return...I remember reading about it a couple of years ago. Target is one....can't think of the other...part of a group men's and women's clothes...they have a store in Short Hills Mall...downstairs by the escalator opposite Macy's. I usually say I live overseas....that throws them.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrivd inthe US we happily complied and gave out all the numbers asked.... SSN where necessary, telephone number and/or zip code for stores but it soon wore thin and now I don't give any numbers to anyone unless theres absolutely no way around it.

I was told by a school secretary on the quiet NOT to give the school my sons SSN because it would be logged and nearing his high school graduation he would be approached and strongly encouraged to join the millitary. Anyone else heard of this?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
When we first arrivd inthe US we happily complied and gave out all the numbers asked.... SSN where necessary, telephone number and/or zip code for stores but it soon wore thin and now I don't give any numbers to anyone unless theres absolutely no way around it.

I was told by a school secretary on the quiet NOT to give the school my sons SSN because it would be logged and nearing his high school graduation he would be approached and strongly encouraged to join the millitary. Anyone else heard of this?
He will be approached regardless, like colleges the military sends recruiters to high schools around the US, they are all competing for the same young people.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. When I was in high school, the military recruiters were in there quite regularly. I (briefly) contemplated joining, and took the military exam, and I was harassed for YEARS after I graduated. If your child so much as looks at the recruiters, they will be approached and encouraged to join.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If they're USC's or LPR's, they'll have to sign up for SS at 18 anyway...
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter. The military have the right to set up info. booths at high schools during lunch. It's very common.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: So who is allowed to ask these things?

Originally Posted by Ridski
Of course not. As a Brit, I simply borrow it for an as-yet-undeclared period of time.
And then once finished with it, in the time-honored way, unceremoniously dump it in the nearest river, complete with random traffic cone after a heavy night out on the town

Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:09 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
And then once finished with it, in the time-honored way, unceremoniously dump it in the nearest river, complete with random traffic cone after a heavy night out on the town

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_x5aOqwilXUo/Ra...selburgh05.jpg
Or, as I did, wait for a windy night, get a big coat, then kneel up in it with your coat wide open and see how far you can sail up Sky Blue Way until you hit a roadwork, fall face-first into a pothole, get up, laugh and run before the bizzies show up.