Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Wikiposts

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who is allowed to ask these things?

Originally Posted by Ridski

As for the returns... Are you saying that if I don't drive I'm not allowed to return an item to Target?
Not at all. If you don't have a DL, use another form of ID.
People figured out how to professionally abuse the system & this is how merchants fight it.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

When the merchants ask for your ID when you purchase alchohol, the only data they are entering is your birthdate (because they can't do the math to determine if you're 21) - at least, that's what they do here in KY. No other personal data is entered.

However, what really peeves me that when I want to buy a package of Sudafed, I have to practically sign over my first born. First, I can only get the Sudafed by going to the Pharmacy and asking for it, then I have to sign in 2 different places in 2 different log books, then I have to hand over my DL so they can enter my info into some database...this is all to make sure I'm not some fracking meth-head looking to cook up some drugs.

When it comes to customer returns, I admit I've handed over my DL without a thought. This thread has made me re-think that though.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
When the merchants ask for your ID when you purchase alchohol, the only data they are entering is your birthdate (because they can't do the math to determine if you're 21) - at least, that's what they do here in KY. No other personal data is entered.

However, what really peeves me that when I want to buy a package of Sudafed, I have to practically sign over my first born. First, I can only get the Sudafed by going to the Pharmacy and asking for it, then I have to sign in 2 different places in 2 different log books, then I have to hand over my DL so they can enter my info into some database...this is all to make sure I'm not some fracking meth-head looking to cook up some drugs.

When it comes to customer returns, I admit I've handed over my DL without a thought. This thread has made me re-think that though.
omg, you're still in an easy State. It got so bad here that you now must have a prescription for any psuedophedrin product. And then you still have to give ID!
Nevermind that we can drive 5 miles over the state line if we wanted...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:22 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Ha, caught you out - if you don't drive how did you get to Target?
It's about 15 minutes' walk away. Less if I cycled it.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:24 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
omg, you're still in an easy State. It got so bad here that you now must have a prescription for any psuedophedrin product. And then you still have to give ID!
Crikey, that's harsh! In NY and NJ, you just need to fill out one log book, or they'll scan your DL.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I just about spit my drink out reading that. You're kidding me!! Can you bill the state for making you pay for an office visit and your lost wages, in order to get the Rx? That's going to the extreme!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:35 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

It's about 15 minutes' walk away. Less if I cycled it.
That's very un-American of you. I suppose you steal their shopping trolley to get your stuff home too.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:45 am

I just about spit my drink out reading that. You're kidding me!! Can you bill the state for making you pay for an office visit and your lost wages, in order to get the Rx? That's going to the extreme!
Bill the State? Then the terrorists would WIN! For gods' sake woman! I mean the meth cooks would win. I mean, the criminals. Sheesh, cats laying down with dogs and all that!

We had a big problem with "the meths" (as my DH says) and a year or two of having to buy it through the pharmacist wasn't enough I guess. I think we are the only state that went this far. Results so far: unverified improvement.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:20 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

just on the deposit fronts - as i was arranging utils and didnt at the time have an ssn to give even if i wanted to - i got hit by 1 or 2 deposits.

the first rental we had a deposit of 150 for elec and about 100 for gas. when we moved out 4 months later we got both back without an issue. In the second rental we got hit with 75 for city water/trash and another 100 for electricity. I dont anticipate any problems getting the trash one back AND the last elec bill actually returned our deposit without asking!

so deposits are not always that big - and so far no hassle to get back.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:26 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
just on the deposit fronts - as i was arranging utils and didnt at the time have an ssn to give even if i wanted to - i got hit by 1 or 2 deposits.

the first rental we had a deposit of 150 for elec and about 100 for gas. when we moved out 4 months later we got both back without an issue. In the second rental we got hit with 75 for city water/trash and another 100 for electricity. I dont anticipate any problems getting the trash one back AND the last elec bill actually returned our deposit without asking!

so deposits are not always that big - and so far no hassle to get back.
I had something similar when I first came over. As far as I recall the deposit was returned after the first year. I believe they even added interest.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:51 am
Diamond Geezer

That's very un-American of you. I suppose you steal their shopping trolley to get your stuff home too.
Of course not. As a Brit, I simply borrow it for an as-yet-undeclared period of time.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:00 am
Not here much

Of course not. As a Brit, I simply borrow it for an as-yet-undeclared period of time.
My local supermarket has a sign up saying "Do not remove carriages from the parking lot". It took me a while to realise they meant the trolleys. It's also the only place in the US I've seen where the trolleys make you put a coin deposit in a slot to get it. I'm pretty sure that it's because we are in a walking town.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:06 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

My local supermarket has a sign up saying "Do not remove carriages from the parking lot". It took me a while to realise they meant the trolleys. It's also the only place in the US I've seen where the trolleys make you put a coin deposit in a slot to get it. I'm pretty sure that it's because we are in a walking town.
Where I used to live you had to put a quarter in so the carts wouldn't end up crashing into traffic at the bottom of the hill. The supermarket (& other shops) and parking lot sat atop a very large hill and on a windy day the trolleys went hara kiri into parked cars and moving cars.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:35 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

One thing though, when I was cashiering at Kroger for anyone purchasing either alcohol or cigs, when you scan the item it asks for a birthdate, you have to put one in or it won't go any further.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
One thing though, when I was cashiering at Kroger for anyone purchasing either alcohol or cigs, when you scan the item it asks for a birthdate, you have to put one in or it won't go any further.
Yep. I had to do the same thing when I was a cashier at Kroger and Winn-Dixie. I would enter in a dummy DOB if the person was definitely over 18/21. I wasn't going to ask a 30, 40 or 50 y/o for their id.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.