Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Wikiposts

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:25 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who is allowed to ask these things?

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Well, I tried that line with a few companies, and the minion on the phone basically told me that if I didn't give it to them, then I would be required to put down a deposit of x, or I could not do business with them. I'd rather just tell them my SSN, instead of forking over a deposit I'll likely not get back without a fight. You are correct that technically they cannot absolutely require an SSN, they can just make things more difficult for you. I usually chose the easier (and less expensive) path.

Perhaps I should resist more...or is that futile?
When I got divorced and set up "shop" on my own, I tried to refuse also, but didn't want to fork over a deposit. I gave in.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

we got a call late last night from a credit card company saying we'll have a new card in a few days because one of the cards might have been compromised by being used at a large chain that had info hacked, wouldn't say who though, but we hardly ever use the card so shouldn't be hard to figure out...slightly worrying all the same
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:54 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by explorerman
As soon as I got work authorization I had SS remove that wording from my card. I can't remember the last time I was asked about my immigration status. Still on a green card, although it needs renewing in about 18 months. Must start working on that citizenship thing

Best word for the cops is ROZZERS.

Roy
I like Bizzies, meself. But then I used to hang around with scousers.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:59 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
we got a call late last night from a credit card company saying we'll have a new card in a few days because one of the cards might have been compromised by being used at a large chain that had info hacked, wouldn't say who though, but we hardly ever use the card so shouldn't be hard to figure out...slightly worrying all the same
Slightly off-topic, but... Something that annoys me more and more is that some stores now have a policy that they won't accept returns without having tons of information on you. I get a lot of "Can I have your ZIP code" when buying stuff at the checkout, and I always reply "No, sorry" as politely as possible, but now they're asking for ZIP codes and phone numbers at the returns desk. Mrs Ski returned something at Target the other week, and they asked for her driver's license... Thinking they were just going to look at it, she handed it over, but they took it and scanned the damn thing. WTF do you need that for? It's a frigging blouse!

Argh! IT MAKES ME MAAAAD!!!

:curse::curse::curse:
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Slightly off-topic, but... Something that annoys me more and more is that some stores now have a policy that they won't accept returns without having tons of information on you. I get a lot of "Can I have your ZIP code" when buying stuff at the checkout, and I always reply "No, sorry" as politely as possible, but now they're asking for ZIP codes and phone numbers at the returns desk. Mrs Ski returned something at Target the other week, and they asked for her driver's license... Thinking they were just going to look at it, she handed it over, but they took it and scanned the damn thing. WTF do you need that for? It's a frigging blouse!

Zip code I somewhat understand, they're trying to track where their business is coming from.

Phone number always made me growl (for purchases!) but they then told me you'd then stay current on their mailing list and get coupons (they weren't going to continue to mail them out to ppl who never bothered to shop there)

So ok... sorta... fair enough. I definitely don't mind the zip code.

But scanning my drivers license???? I'd have a conniption, and repossess that piece of paper and shred it for them!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:11 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they're trying to track people and their returns for some reason.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The merchant can take her ID for a return; this is to cut down on fraudulent returns.

Modern day return policies are modern.. until Nordstromitis spread in the industry, in-store credit was the more common way to take a return.

I've noticed that some retailers have started advertising lay away again.. what a quaint old fashioned concept! Were we talking about that here in another thread?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:30 am
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by meauxna
The merchant can take her ID for a return; this is to cut down on fraudulent returns.

Modern day return policies are modern.. until Nordstromitis spread in the industry, in-store credit was the more common way to take a return.

I've noticed that some retailers have started advertising lay away again.. what a quaint old fashioned concept! Were we talking about that here in another thread?

I saw that too! I remember putting school clothes in layaway when I was young. And, I even put Xmas presents in layaway when my kids were really small (late 80s, early 90s).
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They do that because people are abusing return policies and have found ways to scam the retailers.

My company asks for zip codes to see where there business is coming from and where their advertising money is better spent. Zip codes are not something anyone can use to track you down or get information about you.

Retailers here in Canada do the same.

Too many people ripping off retailers these days.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:27 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
But scanning my drivers license???? I'd have a conniption, and repossess that piece of paper and shred it for them!
Something similar almost happened to me in a Piggly Wiggly. I was buying some stuff, including a bottle of wine. The cashier asked for ID, I took the compliment and handed over my DL. When she started to type in the data, I said "Whoa, hold on there! tell you what, just keep the wine."

It's not just about them getting all this data, it's about when they lose it.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
If the word fuzz is long dead in this context how do you explain the film "Hot Fuzz"?
It's a film about Waxing???
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:56 am
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They do that because people are abusing return policies and have found ways to scam the retailers.

My company asks for zip codes to see where there business is coming from and where their advertising money is better spent. Zip codes are not something anyone can use to track you down or get information about you.

Retailers here in Canada do the same.

Too many people ripping off retailers these days.
Fair enough. But I've been told by some younger cashiers in certain places that they can't go through with the purchase properly without a ZIP code. I know they can, but they're obviously not used to anyone saying no to them, so at that point I make one up.

If you need to know where I'm coming from, give me a customer survey to fill out, don't hijack my purchase for it.

As for the returns... Are you saying that if I don't drive I'm not allowed to return an item to Target?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Nope. I've had to supply SSN to electric company, cable company, trash company, insurance company, (cell phone) & the list goes on. They use your SSN to look at your credit history - if you don't have one or have a bad history, they can require you to put down a deposit for their services.
Exactly. In effect, any service you sign up for is a form of credit. You ask for service, then pay them later (in most cases). So you will need your SS# memorised. I have no idea what my DL# is or my A#, but I knew my SS# backwards 8 years ago.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

That, and it is your unique identifier. Two John Smiths can be born on the same date. No 2 people can have the same SS#.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:08 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

As for the returns... Are you saying that if I don't drive I'm not allowed to return an item to Target?
Ha, caught you out - if you don't drive how did you get to Target?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.