Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Wikiposts

So who is allowed to ask these things?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who is allowed to ask these things?

Insurance companies, for one.
Apartment rentals (might not affect you?)
Auto insurance.

I don't get out much anymore so my list is short, I just know it can be an issue for folks.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:11 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i have given my ssn to several companies and they use the last 4 digits as a security question of i call them and want to do stuff on the phone.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i have given my ssn to several companies and they use the last 4 digits as a security question of i call them and want to do stuff on the phone.
Ditto.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Surely if I'm not asking for credit, then a business asking me for it doesn't need it? Is that a fair assessment?
In theory I suppose that it is, but in reality almost any significant agreement that you enter into with a business or service provider probably involves some kind of credit (unless you pay for everything up front with cash in advance) and you will probably find that somewhere in the small print you actually agreed to allow them to run a credit check on you.

Yes this is crazy - the Social Security number was originally never intended to turn into a national identification number any more than a driver's licenses was meant to indicate anything more than your right to drive a motor vehicle, but we left that nice simple world behind a long time ago.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine joined a gym and signed up for 6 months. She paid for everything up front right away. She filled out their agreement forms and left off her SSN. As she walked out the door of the gym, someone came running out after her saying "excuse me, you forgot to fill in your SSN information!" My friend just filled in random numbers there in the parking lot. She figured there is no reason they really need to know her SSN, since she paid for everything up front.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:11 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - so once in country with green card, which kinds of personnel are allowed (or not) to ask about the following:

Immigration status
Authorisation to work
Ask for your SSN

I think I've seen on the forum that the fuzz aren't allowed to ask about your immigration status. Is that correct? What about the other stuff.
Anyone can ask... its up to you if you want to provide such information.
It would be a stretch imo to try and claim any sort of racial profiling by asking for such info if that is what is behind your question.
(one can't run a full credit check w/o your consent)
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Nope. I've had to supply SSN to electric company, cable company, trash company, insurance company, & the list goes on. They use your SSN to look at your credit history - if you don't have one or have a bad history, they can require you to put down a deposit for their services.

EDIT: Forgot to mention cell phone companies too, if you are going to set up a contract with them.
yes, but you don't have to provide it to them, it just becomes a hassle if you don't because of the potential for a deposit etc.

ICE are about the only people who can ask about your immigration status, police in a few areas have been allowed, but that's still against the federal law.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:09 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

you might find this useful >

http://www.peopleslawyer.net/guarding.html#_Toc4565431
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Labhrais is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely if I'm not asking for credit, then a business asking me for it doesn't need it? Is that a fair assessment?
This is a fair assessment. Many companies require credit checks to obtain service, and that is a legitimate reason to require an SSN.

When asked for your SSN, a diplomatic reply is "Why do you need that information?" If the person that asked you for it cannot tell you why they need it, it is perfectly reasonable for you to say that you prefer not to divulge it in order to protect yourself from identity theft.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xebedee
The term "the filth" is much better, surely?

We have a much ruder word for the Gardai (Police) in Ireland, but there are ladies present so I wont.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:39 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Nope. I've had to supply SSN to electric company, cable company, trash company, insurance company, & the list goes on. They use your SSN to look at your credit history - if you don't have one or have a bad history, they can require you to put down a deposit for their services.

EDIT: Forgot to mention cell phone companies too, if you are going to set up a contract with them.
Wrong. You haven't had to supply your SSN to any of those companies. You chose to, which is your right, but you certainly didn't have to.

I have politely declined to supply my SSN to any one of those companies, with the exception of my bank, credit card company, mortgage company, health insurance and my employer. All the rest of them can still run a credit check without your SSN, and they are not allowed to "demand" it, despite what the grunts on the customer disservice desks may think. I've never had to pay an additional deposit because of exercising my right not to give out my SSN to anyone who asks for it. In fact, one mention of "identity theft", and most companies will stop asking for it right away.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

As soon as I got work authorization I had SS remove that wording from my card. I can't remember the last time I was asked about my immigration status. Still on a green card, although it needs renewing in about 18 months. Must start working on that citizenship thing

Best word for the cops is ROZZERS.

Roy
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:16 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Wrong. You haven't had to supply your SSN to any of those companies. You chose to, which is your right, but you certainly didn't have to.

I have politely declined to supply my SSN to any one of those companies, with the exception of my bank, credit card company, mortgage company, health insurance and my employer. All the rest of them can still run a credit check without your SSN, and they are not allowed to "demand" it, despite what the grunts on the customer disservice desks may think. I've never had to pay an additional deposit because of exercising my right not to give out my SSN to anyone who asks for it. In fact, one mention of "identity theft", and most companies will stop asking for it right away.
yep same here....i give it to anyone except who you mentioned. if anyone else ever asks for it and don't except my 'identity theft' explanation then they don't get to have my business.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:18 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Your first line is wrong - "fuzz" is very much a current term.

Your second statement appears to either be written whilst drunk, or via random selection of vaguely associated words.
It's current if you're a Grateful Dead groupie.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I tried that line with a few companies, and the minion on the phone basically told me that if I didn't give it to them, then I would be required to put down a deposit of x, or I could not do business with them. I'd rather just tell them my SSN, instead of forking over a deposit I'll likely not get back without a fight. You are correct that technically they cannot absolutely require an SSN, they can just make things more difficult for you. I usually chose the easier (and less expensive) path.

Perhaps I should resist more...or is that futile?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.