Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So what's really different?

So what's really different?

Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:34 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Talking So what's really different?

1. My kids school.... if we had ever tried to get away with that we'd have been caned (no, I never was)!

2. Nickelodeon... I can't even think what I'd have done if I had my own TV and VCR when I was little.

3. Not walking a mile to get groceries like my Nan did and then carrying all those carrier bags home again. At least there were paths at the side of the road.

4. No cream at the top of the milk bottles.

5. Not locking your car and only worrying that the windows are down if it starts to rain.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:48 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

... and you must never.... repeat "NEVER" call the vet and say your dog just ate a pot plant.

I thought the same term for houseplants applied in the states and it obviously does not!!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:27 am
ScarlettHill

Default Re: So what's really different?

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
1. My kids school.... if we had ever tried to get away with that we'd have been caned (no, I never was)!

2. Nickelodeon... I can't even think what I'd have done if I had my own TV and VCR when I was little.

3. Not walking a mile to get groceries like my Nan did and then carrying all those carrier bags home again. At least there were paths at the side of the road.

5. Not locking your car and only worrying that the windows are down if it starts to rain.
LOL Some of us are still walking a mile to get groceries like your Nan and then carrying all those bags home.

My girls' school is MUCH stricter than the ones back in England. They get a half hour lunch break and no recess unless they've earned a 15-minute 'social' on Friday afternoons. Just restroom breaks mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Adn MUCH more homework. Prsonally I think that's all OTT but the kids like it there so who am I to argue. It's safe and secure with no bullying (they don't have time!), which is more than can be said for where they came from.

No milk bottles and no milkmen

The cheese!!! I used to love cheese

No real pubs - the ones that try to be end up being quaint features - but the coffeehouses are great

The cars are too big and the pedestrian crossings aren't safe with all that mad right-on-red palaver.

You have to do a PE course to get a degree!!!!

:scared:
-=-
Scarlett

Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ScarlettHill

No milk bottles and no milkmen

-=-
Scarlett
You miss Milkmen Scarlett ? ( Benny Hillesque smile)

Jovially Yours
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:08 am
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
You miss Milkmen Scarlett ? ( Benny Hillesque smile)

Jovially Yours

In the villages they do so much more for you than simply delivering the milk! Sometimes they bring potatoes and orange juice

Also, it's the dinky white hats and little clinking sounds they make as they trundle down the streets. Who wouldn't miss that?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Hmmmmm this has got me thinking... although I am not officially living there yet, I have before and the things that struck me as really different in a small way are:

Supermarkets:
Tesco's Vs Market Basket or Star Market etc...
The Supermarkets in US seem a bit 'scuzzy' compared to Tesco or M&S.
Does anyone know, can you shop on the internet for your weekly shop and get it delivered like in the UK (really handy for heavy stuff or if you have a young baby)????

Streets:
No pavements?!
Looking right when crossing the road and thinking it's clear!

Restaurants:
Staring at your fist full of change and a couple of bills wondering if you can get away with that as the whole tip or not and will they spit in your burger next time they see you walk through the door!!!
It's not that I don't want to tip it's a) I keep forgetting and b) I can never work out how much!
Having to stop chewing at different intervals to confirm, confirm again, double confirm, re-confirm absolutely INSIST that everything's alright when dining out
In the UK you're lucky if the waiter/ess grunts once in your direction and NEVER offers to top up your drinks. Then again they arn't expecting a tip either.

General:
Knowing that you can't 'nip' quickly into a shop (excuse me - store) let's say a chemist (whooops - Drug Store) and ask for some panadol (excuse me again - Tylenol) without the person serving saying 'Great Accent where you from? etc...' Don't get me wrong I'm very social and am happy to entertain but quick 'trips to the shops' become not so quick
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:36 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
Supermarkets:
Tesco's Vs Market Basket or Star Market etc...
The Supermarkets in US seem a bit 'scuzzy' compared to Tesco or M&S.
Does anyone know, can you shop on the internet for your weekly shop and get it delivered like in the UK (really handy for heavy stuff or if you have a young baby)????
I have found the US supermarkets to be streets ahead of the UK where I lived anyway. Our local Tescos was crapper than a really crap thing that had just graduated from Crap University with full honours.

They rarely had what we wanted in stock.

Nearby Giant Eagles are monstrous in size, not 'scuzzy' at all, and stock everything. And yes they can deliver. And you get real savings with the loyalty cards, not the crap 1p per pound. We're talking saving as much as $20 on a $100 bill.

Sam.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ukemigrant
I have found the US supermarkets to be streets ahead of the UK where I lived anyway. Our local Tescos was crapper than a really crap thing that had just graduated from Crap University with full honours.

They rarely had what we wanted in stock.

Nearby Giant Eagles are monstrous in size, not 'scuzzy' at all, and stock everything. And yes they can deliver. And you get real savings with the loyalty cards, not the crap 1p per pound. We're talking saving as much as $20 on a $100 bill.

Sam.

Giant Eagle - I never heard of them - maybe it's just the area that I'm thinking of that has 'kwiksave' style S/M's.
$20 off $100 sound pretty damn generous though!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:54 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BrigieDarling

American hens lay white eggs, I never got that one. And of course American lemonade is not fizzy but cloudy and flat with bits in it, actually quite delicious, and better than the "sucking on an old teabag" experience, that is iced tea!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
In the villages they do so much more for you than simply delivering the milk! Sometimes they bring potatoes and orange juice

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
In the village I used to live in down in Devon, I remember the Weekend mornings in the summer, listening to the milkman deliver early on Saturday, crates and bottles rattling, seeing the light of the sun coming through the window, the sound of waves rolling onto the estuary beach. And on Sundays, the Church bells peeling away, but I also remember the rainy windy miserable days, I seem to remember more of those.

If I close my eyes I can actually pretend I am there !!!

Rob

PS: I can also remember getting up to fetch my milk in and finding the tin tops being pecked out by Blue Tits. And no Scrumpy........don't go there.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 12:50 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Giant Eagle - I never heard of them - maybe it's just the area that I'm thinking of that has 'kwiksave' style S/M's.
$20 off $100 sound pretty damn generous though!!!!
Tis the same with Stop and Shop in NYC, we usually save $10 - $20 off a bill of $100, just for using the little card they give you for your keyring.

Pathmark is even cheaper, and has a cool, uber advanced system. They give you the keyring barcode tags that give you your discounts, but you can also build your shopping list online by browsing through the stores special offers and products brochure; simply clicking on the image of a product adds it to your accounts shopping list, ready for you to pick up when you come into the shop.
Very neat.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Ambie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not that I don't want to tip it's a) I keep forgetting and b) I can never work out how much!
One of my friends used to be a waiter. He said look at your bill and see how much tax was on the total. Anywhere between that amount and double it is acceptable. So if the tax is $3.50, leave $3.50 for a "you did an okay job" tip or $7 for a "wow you provided for our every need, and then some!" Also, leaving a penny on the table, face down, is supposed to tell the waiter that you want to give them a tip but don't have enough money to do so.

Originally posted by nathan barley
Tis the same with Stop and Shop in NYC, we usually save $10 - $20 off a bill of $100, just for using the little card they give you for your keyring.
Ralph's in southern California has a similar system.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
American hens lay white eggs, I never got that one. And of course American lemonade is not fizzy but cloudy and flat with bits in it, actually quite delicious, and better than the "sucking on an old teabag" experience, that is iced tea!

You saying about white egg's reminded me - I was asked recently whilst in the States why we have white dog turds in Britain. After much logical thinking, I could not come up with a good enough answer so argued that there MUST be white dog turds somewhere in the US.
I have been informed that there is no such thing as a white dog turd in America - does anyone know if this is true and if so, why this is? Please do not say you have seen a white dog turd in the USA without sufficient photographic back up otherwise I will be called a liar.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:50 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

You saying about white egg's reminded me - I was asked recently whilst in the States why we have white dog turds in Britain. After much logical thinking, I could not come up with a good enough answer so argued that there MUST be white dog turds somewhere in the US.
I have been informed that there is no such thing as a white dog turd in America - does anyone know if this is true and if so, why this is? Please do not say you have seen a white dog turd in the USA without sufficient photographic back up otherwise I will be called a liar.
nope, can't say I've seen any in the US, come to think of it don't see many turds at all. As for white turds in the UK could it be acid rain?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The colour of the chicken eggshells is down to what is fed to the chickens. Maybe the chickens in the UK eat quite a different diet to American chickens.

When my family had pet chickens, their eggs were brown. Americans may have a preference for a white shell (though what difference that makes to the egg itself is probably minimal).

Also, most American eggs are pasteurised. I don't think British ones are, are they?

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.