Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

I've been here just over a year now (14 months) so am still a greenie I suppose but here goes:

Still hate the bacon - never was a fan of smoked stuff back home, still search at every grocery store for non-smoked stuff.
Love the hotdogs - especially the Nathans one's in Sam's Club and so cheap only $1.70 for a hot dog and a fountain soda
Hate the ice in everything - don't mind one or two bits, but not the whole bloody cup!!!!
Hate that servers in restaurants don't seem to know that a 'side' dish should come WITH the meal NOT prior like an appetiser. Hence the name SIDE DISH!!! My coleslaw ALWAYS arrives waaaaay before the meal itself.
Not keen at all on the overly hot summer, but at least here in SE Michigan we get the proper four seasons rather than just WET constantly in Fort William, Scotland except for one or two days of summer/spring/winter.......
Hate hate hate the travelling so much between shops since there are virtually no town centres here....the malls are awful. Can do over a hundred miles driving just going around Ann Arbor to four different stores and it takes all day!!!
I love the 'Have a nice day' remarks, no different to the 'Hi, how are you doing?' or 'See you later' remarks you get in Scotland......none of the remarks are meant literally, they are just niceties, meant to make you feel appreciated.
Biggest thing though...is HATE HATE HATE Whoppers - they are just NOT the same as Maltesers and I miss them terribly....lol
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

At first I hated drive through banks, now love being able to drive to the ATM and deposit a check any time of day or night without having to go into the bank, wait in line, make small talk with the teller etc

Didn't like anything Reeses made at first now I LOVE Reeses candies.

Didn't like using cruise control at first, now it's the only way to drive on the highway if there's not too much traffic.

Hated the bacon, still hate the bacon.

Hated the bread, still hate the bread (too much sugar added and no taste).

Love the help at supermarkets - getting your bags packed for you and your trolley wheeled out to your car if you want.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicat26
At first I hated drive through banks, now love being able to drive to the ATM and deposit a check any time of day or night without having to go into the bank, wait in line, make small talk with the teller etc
That reminds me, I hate drive through everything.

I used to love the idea, but spending more time trying to describe what I want at McD's or what not would always take longer than just going inside to order.

Really hate the bank ATM's as we don't drive a SUV, so can never reach the sodding things

Netflix, how awesome did that used to be? And how shit has it gotten recently? OMG.

Oh, loved cable and all the options when we first arrived and all the potential massive speeds for internet being offered. Never lived in a spot that could get those maximum speeds though and realised we only ever watched a handful of channels anyway, so a big waste of time, but only stick with it for the odd sporting event and because the phone/internet is really cheap as a bundle :/
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Used to love the fact that most people seem to like sport - ie they all claim to support someone (ie round here they are Colts fans).

However....
This 'support' is very fake in most cases.

Most of em don't really know or care who the Colts are playing next game.
A lot of them don't watch the games or even know the score unless you mention it.

Why don't they just say 'I don't really like sports' when you ask them about it - this would be a more honest answer!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

The loooonnnggg journey from norther cal to teesside - hated it then and hate it now
Actually probably more so now as before I moved over to live in US i lived in london and it was much easier getting to London than Teesside

Felt travel sick after my flight today for hours and hour - hated that then and hate it now!!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I used to love the idea, but spending more time trying to describe what I want at McD's or what not would always take longer than just going inside to order.
And they still get it wrong!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Netflix, how awesome did that used to be? And how shit has it gotten recently? OMG.
What happened to it? Never got it but always think about signing up.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
What happened to it? Never got it but always think about signing up.
They lost Starz, who have a exclusive agreement with Disney and Sony, so no Disney and Sony on Netflix.

They are also now strictly enforcing the 1 dvd/1stream movie thing, so you can't stream to more than one device at the same time. The policy has always been that, but they wouldn't enforce it unless you constantly streamed multiple content at the same time. Now, they are strictly enforcing it, so if you're watching something and the missus wants to watch something else on another tele, it's not going to happen any more.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

UltraViolet007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
Biggest thing though...is HATE HATE HATE Whoppers - they are just NOT the same as Maltesers and I miss them terribly....lol
Go to a Meijer store, they have a British section with Maltesers!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Tannedsilk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hate the Bacon...still do
Hate the Bread...still do. Taken to eating wheat with no crap, still not great but a huge improvement on the other stuff
Hate orange 'american' cheese product, which is not even cheese and apparently just one part away from plastic ...... or is that margarine - hate that too.
Cup of ice and tablespoon of drink.

Big houses, with huge rooms
Wide roads and wide lanes, not fond of silly speed limits. 4 lane hwy with 40 limit.
Air con, how did I ever live without it 80 is cool enough for me.
Telecommuting/Working from home - granted I never had the chance in UK, but love, Love, LOVE it now.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

...... or is that margarine - hate that too.

The margarine is awful, vile and inedible!!! HATE it full stop (period!! )
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:53 am
Just Joined

hayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nicehayley BELL is just really nice

Just arrived in SE Michigan and am hating the road surfaces, the lack of a grocery store with the quality of Waitrose, esp "Perfectly Ripe" avocados, the odd TV channels with no proper listings so you know what's on.... The Times, Radio 4, Brit sense of irony/humour, generic house furnishings.

Not sure I love anything yet - although I did when I vacationed here. It's quite different when you are living here for real.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayley BELL
Just arrived in SE Michigan and am hating the road surfaces, the lack of a grocery store with the quality of Waitrose, esp "Perfectly Ripe" avocados, the odd TV channels with no proper listings so you know what's on.... The Times, Radio 4, Brit sense of irony/humour, generic house furnishings.

Not sure I love anything yet - although I did when I vacationed here. It's quite different when you are living here for real.
Tell me about it
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayley BELL

The trick is to try not to compare. Different country, different way of life

Even so we all miss certain comforts, I still do even after 23 years

Hang in there
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:18 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 8 years almost.
+ 1 on 'hate the bread and still do.'
Love driving here more than in London
Love and hate the wildlife - love the different birds, hate the mosquitoes.
Loved and still love the low crime rate.
Hate the attitude of some drivers on the roads. Honestly worse than a lot of London drivers - nobody 'lets you out' of turnings.
Love that sports games are generally more pleasant and family friendly than those in the UK. Although I still don't 'get' football (American.)
Hated the crisps and mostly still do.
Hated the extreme heavy-handed attitude of police, but now love it. Weird, that.
It took awhile for me to feel that here was 'home.' Of course, England will always be home, but feel more at home here as time has gone on.