Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah that kind of thing, but this was more like 'fast zombie'.

I was also driving and was quite distracted by it.
Other than those mincers, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary on the running trails by my house. Most of the time, if I'm distracted, it is usually for more inappropriate reasons . . .
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what things did you love/hate when you first arrived that you now hate/love?

Trying hard to think of a view that's changed...
Ditto...apart from the fact that the longer I'm here the more things I hate.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm still trying to think of something..........
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Ummmm still trying to think of something..........
Um, I used to love the price of tickets to blighty because we could afford them, but now I hate it because we can't.

Does that count?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Um, I used to love the price of tickets to blighty because we could afford them, but now I hate it because we can't.

Does that count?
For you anyway. I've not been home since we moved here
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:22 pm
I have a comma problem

For you anyway. I've not been home since we moved here
Sorry, I forgot. We've only been back once - and I think the price was a fluke

Here's one, just to continue being a contrarian. If anything I hate the bacon even more now than I did in 2005
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, I forgot. We've only been back once - and I think the price was a fluke

Here's one, just to continue being a contrarian. If anything I hate the bacon even more now than I did in 2005
I don't love it more nor hate it more, I feel indifferent towards it, I'll eat it but I don't crave it. Ignore me I'm having a bad day, and I really could hate everything if I could be bothered.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

If any of you bacon lovers live in Upstate New York there is an Irish shop in Saratoga that imports proper pork products and always has a well stocked freezer.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:29 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't love it more nor hate it more, I feel indifferent towards it, I'll eat it but I don't crave it. Ignore me I'm having a bad day, and I really could hate everything if I could be bothered.
I get plenty of days like that myself - no worries there. Truth be told, I eat it too, but only because I don't want to be a pain in the arse at breakfast. If offered, I'll take some sausages instead but it's not always on the cards
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
I'm really looking forward to moving, but this is the one thing I am dreading - not so much from the cost point of view, but from the perspective of health and wellbeing. At the moment I have at least an hour of walking or cycling a day just built into my daily routine. I don't fancy spending that time cooped up in a car instead .

That said, driving in the US is much more fun than here (at least out of the cities) because it's so much less crowded.
I find driving on highways here boring as hell, we've driven from PA to WI, and PA to SC and PA to MA several times, and it's mundane at best it takes bloody forever to get out of PA. The roads are awful even the toll roads are full of pot holes, then you drive through some god forsaken places that make third world countries look rich.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I find driving on highways here boring as hell, we've driven from PA to WI, and PA to SC and PA to MA several times, and it's mundane at best it takes bloody forever to get out of PA. The roads are awful even the toll roads are full of pot holes, then you drive through some god forsaken places that make third world countries look rich.
Oh and another thing I forgot, if your on a highway don't miss your exit 'cause you'll probably have to drive another 20 miles before the next one....

Phew I feel a little bit better now.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't say it is exciting! But I am a bit of a nervous driver, which is probably why I enjoy the monotony. I've done a couple of big road trips now: one from Pittsburgh out to Seattle, down the west coast and back through the south; the other from New York to Seattle via Dallas. I'm happy driving along for hours at a time, or at least until one of my butt cheeks goes numb .
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of with you there.
Me too, I suppose there are foods I had never tried till I moved here and I like, like Chicken fried steak and gravy. and Pumpkin pie and I can't think of anything else, I still cook like I'm in UK. Only cause I don't know how to do it any other way.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

My Mrs says that you can spot a Brit a mile away. I made a bet with her when we were last at Chicago O Hare that she was wrong. I have loaded the dish washer ever since. So..... loved the good looking, straight toothed, over dressed Americans at first, now.... miss the, and I have to be very careful here...... dressed at Marks & Sparks, National Health toothed, witty beyond measure, fab Brit types that we are.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hated half and half now LOVE it

Hated the coffee now love it.

wasnt sure about all the millions of trees im surrounded by - now i love them

couldnt bear the have a nice day stuff but now love it and miss it back in the UK

Hated the cool rainy climate where i live- and still dont like it (might as well be back in UK)

Loved the friendliness of the people when i first arrived (small town) and now love it even more- love the fact that everyone says hello even when im just walking down the street - most odd at first i must say

Last edited by CAdreaming; Sep 3rd 2011 at 2:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.