Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So what do you lot do for lunch at work?

So what do you lot do for lunch at work?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default So what do you lot do for lunch at work?

You all hoard your stuff into your cubicle? Eat at a canteen, or go out to lunch?

The missus brings snacks to her place, and there's a small dingy table and microwave, and a nasty fridge.

My place, a bunch go out to eat, another bunch eat in the cafe area, and a bunch eat at their desks...though on Fridays we all congregate around the cafe area as they get pizza's in, and it's nice stuff since we moved to this location, so we all enjoy it now.

Back when I was in blighty, it was a fair split between people bringing in sandwiches and people buying fast food rubbish...definitely more of a left overs now though.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:42 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what do you lot do for lunch at work?

Originally Posted by Bob
You all hoard your stuff into your cubicle? Eat at a canteen, or go out to lunch?
I work at a university and eat at the campus dining hall for lunch. Tons of options to choose from and only $4.75/day, a real bargain. I find a quiet table in the back and pick up some newspapers (they have daily copies of The Washington Post, my old local newspaper when I was growing up) and chill out for the hour. On nice, warm days I sometimes take a walk around the lake as well.

Most of my colleagues use their lunch hour to run errands and eat something quick at their desks. Not me -- I sit at my desk all day long, thank you very much! One colleague is training for a triathalon, so she goes to the university's pool for her lunch hour. I don't know how she manages to get over there, change, swim, change again, and get back to work all within an hour, but she does!

~ Jenney
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:51 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a hospital and we don't really get a lunch break. I bring a cooler on wheels to work with me and prepare all my own food, mainly because I'm a health freak and sports nut and eat every 2 to 3 hours so need a steady stream of quality food at hand. I make my own oatmeal and protein powder pancakes which I usually have during my patient's treatment if it's quiet and routine. For lunch I have what I call a power salad....spinach, corn, cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, red peppers and chicken. I try to run down to our treatment room in between patients for lunch or I chomp it down while preparing my dialysis machine for the next patient. I literally grab 5 minutes, that's all. In the afternoon I have cottage cheese and fruit and then I make a dinner in the evening. It's too easy to eat crap in healthcare because of time restraints but I refuse to do that.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:53 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I find a wank is an excellent stress releiver during lunch.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I work at a university and eat at the campus dining hall for lunch. Tons of options to choose from and only $4.75/day, a real bargain. I find a quiet table in the back and pick up some newspapers (they have daily copies of The Washington Post, my old local newspaper when I was growing up) and chill out for the hour. On nice, warm days I sometimes take a walk around the lake as well.

Most of my colleagues use their lunch hour to run errands and eat something quick at their desks. Not me -- I sit at my desk all day long, thank you very much! One colleague is training for a triathalon, so she goes to the university's pool for her lunch hour. I don't know how she manages to get over there, change, swim, change again, and get back to work all within an hour, but she does!

~ Jenney
Ohh...papers...yeah, we get a few in at work, Boston Globe/post thingy, but can never find them...and the magazines go walkies too..but do catch up on the art ones as I get first dibs on those, which is nice.

I don't mind sitting at my desk, but I do other shite, sometimes...okay, speed modelling, reading forums, other ones, and err..slacking
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:20 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I find a wank is an excellent stress releiver during lunch.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:45 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm retired", says he, polishing his nails on his lapel.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Some days I have to run errands, some days lunch isn't till 4 o'clock so then I just go home an hour early. Usually twice a week I share lunch somewhere with OH either in his office or at a small park near my office.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I stopped at a "Subway" in Minneapolis for lunch;

"I'll have a Number 3, 6 inch on wheat" I told the Asian Guy behind the counter.

With that, I watched with a puzzled look on my face as he pulled out some wheat bread and put 3, 6 inch, subs on the counter.

"What you want on 'dem?" he enquires

"No......just give me 1 Turkey sandwich FFS!" I responded as my colleagues all stood behind me in line were laughing their heads off.

They all had problems putting their order in too, much to my amusement.

Jim.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
"I'm retired", says he, polishing his nails on his lapel.
Same here ..Lunch is 11am to 4pm ...
then its time for an after lunch nap ..
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:48 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to sneak out and murder a hooker...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:49 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
I tend to sneak out and murder a hooker...
With onion rings?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by syllk
With onion rings?
Well duh!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:54 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Ohh...papers...yeah, we get a few in at work, Boston Globe/post thingy, but can never find them...and the magazines go walkies too..but do catch up on the art ones as I get first dibs on those, which is nice
Check the men's room - but then again - you might not want to
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of sandwiches, an apple, a yogurt and a book. Just the ticket in the middle of a working day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.