Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So we have finally found a beautiful home

So we have finally found a beautiful home

Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default So we have finally found a beautiful home

..and it's enormous. Well... to us it is.

So now I'm asking for hints about furniture, besides our own. Obviously we have all the basics but with so many rooms we're definitely have an opportunity to get a great big, big sofa - I'm thinking MASSIVE sectional. Our relocation consultant has suggested renting from Cort. But I quite like the idea of going to a consignment company.
Our tenancy begins August 1st, however it's likely that our furniture is not going to arrive until September.

Any thoughts please? We are going out with the intention to come back in 3 years.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:52 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So we have finally found a beautiful home

Cort will destroy you on charges for renting for 1-2 months depending on what you get (been there, done it) - their furniture is majority already used.

That said, if it's only for a couple months until your own furniture arrives, it may be worth it.

I'd personally go and buy one out right, then when it's time for you to go, you could sell it
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at craigslist for your home town and see what kinds of prices they are selling for on there. You could buy it from there or a consignment store and then I agree with Jack8602 just sell it when you go.

Make sure you figure out the costs of transporting it home though.

Do consignments stores charge sales tax?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Cort will destroy you on charges for renting for 1-2 months depending on what you get (been there, done it) - their furniture is majority already used.

That said, if it's only for a couple months until your own furniture arrives, it may be worth it.

I'd personally go and buy one out right, then when it's time for you to go, you could sell it
+ 1. CORT has a 60 day minimal rental I believe and for what they wanted to rent a dining table, sofa, coffee table etc we bought most of that outright. With us they had a $600 min charge iirc. That buys adequate furniture for us for the time being.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:44 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Our relocation consultant has suggested
You lost me at this part. Sorry. < snipped > Others have already highlighted why your 'consultants' advice is bad, so I'll leave it there.

My advice? Buy something cheap until your furniture comes over. That's what we did.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 10th 2017 at 10:57 pm. Reason: No need for the pointy comment at all.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You lost me at this part. Sorry. < snipped> Others have already highlighted why your 'consultants' advice is bad, so I'll leave it there.

My advice? Buy something cheap until your furniture comes over. That's what we did.
We bought garden furniture and used it as lounge/dining furniture for the first couple of months. Great deals at this time of the year too!

We didn't bring over beds because of the size difference. Bought new beds whilst we stayed in a hotel for the first few days...next day delivery.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 10th 2017 at 10:57 pm. Reason: edit quote
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I like consignment shop purchasing. I don't know how the Philly area is for consignment shopping. While it is big in Florida and you get some damn good furniture for a fraction of the cost of new, you can check online for consignment shops in the Philly area.

Having come from the NE recently, I will tell you that there is a big problem with bed bugs up in the NY and NJ areas so be warned. Bed bugs are easy enough to check for, having had to deal with them myself when we got hit when an upstairs neighbor had them and they came through the walls. I do a great deal of traveling and never put my suitcase on anything but the luggage rack until I have stripped the beds and moved the mattresses to check for the buggers.

I know you said the house is palatial. Has your consultant spoken with you about the costs to heat and cool the place? PA has very hot weather in the summer and very cold and wet winters. It is going to cost a pretty penny to heat and cool the place, especially if you have vaulted ceilings.

https://www.google.com/#q=furniture+...=1499705615239

Last edited by Rete; Jul 10th 2017 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Financially, it depends on your relocation package.

If you have been given a fixed amount to cover everything then I'd buy the most minimum amount necessary and keep some back to cover things you may not have anticipated needing.

If you have "furniture rental" included as part of the service/budget allocated to you, ie no cash value if you don't take it, then I'd take the rental as it will at least allow you time to choose something you'll love.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:12 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

So now I'm asking for hints about furniture, besides our own. Obviously we have all the basics but with so many rooms we're definitely have an opportunity to get a great big, big sofa - I'm thinking MASSIVE sectional. Our relocation consultant has suggested renting from Cort. But I quite like the idea of going to a consignment company.
Our tenancy begins August 1st, however it's likely that our furniture is not going to arrive until September.

Any thoughts please? We are going out with the intention to come back in 3 years.
Where did you end up in the Philly area? I remember having some conversations with you ages ago!

There's a consignment store just off the 202 just past Chesterbrook on the Gateway Shopping Center. Exit 202 Eastbound at the West Valley Rd exit, then a couple of lefts and a right! The stock often rotates so is good to check out frequently. Most of the stuff is Target/Costco cancelled orders according to the owner.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:18 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Also a good one on Business 30 in Malvern, next to the Frazer USPS office.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You lost me at this part. Sorry. My opinion of 'relocation consultants' is not particularly high.
Me too. I was told by my employer not to contact any realtors as our RC would do that for us. It got to the point the day before moving and they weren't answering my calls and we'd missed out on a number of houses. Eventually the consultant just replied say "Well I can look at houses but you have to do everything else"
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Where did you end up in the Philly area? I remember having some conversations with you ages ago!
Bryn Mawr.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete

I know you said the house is palatial. Has your consultant spoken with you about the costs to heat and cool the place? PA has very hot weather in the summer and very cold and wet winters. It is going to cost a pretty penny to heat and cool the place, especially if you have vaulted ceilings.
Naaaa not palatial, that would suggest something that is formal or stately to me. That's not us, would never be us. I said it was enormous. It's a renovated farmhouse so I'd describe it as rustic. Beautiful.
It's previous tenants have been in it 13 years and couldn't bring themselves to leave it. They said they loved it. Finally they've come around to buying a house.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

You've whet my curiosity....it sounds idyllic
Post some pix after you've moved in, if you have a chance

Glad it's worked out so well for ALL of you (dogs included)
What breed are they?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Beagle (she's of hunt stock) and a mini JRT :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.