Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

Originally Posted by willmore
Not just the firearm owner but the parent as well. Anything dangerous, sharp or otherwise should be kept out of reach of children. Our kitchen knives are stored at a level that even with a stool the kids cant reached them. Jims tool drawer is locked as well as the kitchen and bathroom cupboards where anything dangerous is stored.

Parents have a responsibility to keep dangerous items out of reach of kids!
What do the kids use to eat then? Plastic spoons?

And when the kids are 8 years old and over 4 foot tall?

The amazing thing is the human race has survived quite well up to now without wrapping everyone up in cotton wool.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
School children ARE banned from carrying anything that could be a weapon to school. Some districts mandate clear (transparent) rucksacks.

You can't fit a baseball bat into most rucksacks and you generally can't do that much damage to someone with a tree branch that'd fit either. Oh, and baggy clothing is banned.
Well the Kid's round here are not taking any notice, they think they look so cool with there pants hanging round there knees they look like they've got there Dads clothes on
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:18 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
You can kill someone with a rolled up magazine.
As Macgyver here says, anything can be a weapon. I think that there isnt much wrong with those checks, but the main focus should be on the causes of violence in school. There were fights all the time at my old grammar school, but no one ever used a weapon
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

What do the kids use to eat then? Plastic spoons?

And when the kids are 8 years old and over 4 foot tall?
Of course they dont - but spoons arent really dangerous are they?

Of course you can put dangerous items stored at a level where they cant be reached or lock the cupboard. My son is over 4' tall and we hve no trouble!

And the human race hasnt really survived at all has it....there are more incidents with kids and other nut cases with dangerous weapons all the time!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chorlton
As Macgyver here says, anything can be a weapon. I think that there isnt much wrong with those checks, but the main focus should be on the causes of violence in school. There were fights all the time at my old grammar school, but no one ever used a weapon
Thanks Murdoc.

Same at my school. Well, not where the teachers could see them anyway.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course anything can be a weapon - but how it can be used by the person holding the item is another matter - where are these kids being taught to be so violent!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Of course they dont - but spoons arent really dangerous are they?
Can be pretty nasty. Spoon handle rammed in the eye or stomach or the spoon bowl shoved down the throat...

Of course you can put dangerous items stored at a level where they cant be reached or lock the cupboard. My son is over 4' tall and we hve no trouble!
I hope you actually let them see the stuff and explain it to them before they do inadvertantly get it at some point.

And the human race hasnt really survived at all has it....there are more incidents with kids and other nut cases with dangerous weapons all the time!
Er....well, most people I know are alive to date.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Of course anything can be a weapon - but how it can be used by the person holding the item is another matter - where are these kids being taught to be so violent!

Kids are pretty inventive. Never underestimate their cunning.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:27 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

You can kill someone with a rolled up magazine.
The infamous "Millwall Brick"
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can be pretty nasty. Spoon handle rammed in the eye or stomach or the spoon bowl shoved down the throat...

I hope you actually let them see the stuff and explain it to them before they do inadvertantly get it at some point.

Er....well, most people I know are alive to date.
Of course they can - almost any item can be dangerous if you want it to be and of course my kids know about them - they help to set the table and wash and dry the dishes every night. My son also works out in the workshop with jim almost every day being taught about tools and safety, but he is never in there alone. But being a responsible parent I would rather keep things safe from a 3 and 5 year old - just my opinion

And how many others are dead?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:29 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

They are being taught to grow up to be soldiers. Their parents ignore ratings on dvd's and games.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:29 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Not just the firearm owner but the parent as well. Anything dangerous, sharp or otherwise should be kept out of reach of children. Our kitchen knives are stored at a level that even with a stool the kids cant reached them. Jims tool drawer is locked as well as the kitchen and bathroom cupboards where anything dangerous is stored.

Parents have a responsibility to keep dangerous items out of reach of kids!
I find it hard to believe that you can lock kitchen knives out of the reach of a determined 8 year old...perhaps the point made is that 99.999% of children raised properly would never think of carrying a gun/knife/bat....etc to school- and that no matter what, the Government can not completely prevent such things by mandate or law
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are being taught to grow up to be soldiers. Their parents ignore ratings on dvd's and games.

Have to agree with you - being taught to be violent individuals who think that violence is the only way to solve a problem!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Man, the military is really desperate in meeting those recruitment numbers....
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Man, the military is really desperate in meeting those recruitment numbers....
Stupid question here - but is that really the mentality in the states?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.