Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: So sad...7yr old shot in the arm at day-care center....

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Nooooo! It has nothing to do with gun laws in this case. There are already adequate laws regarding guns near schools and stupid people leaving guns lying around. The dad should have secured his weapons and educated his kid on firearms safety. Now he will (rightly) pay the price. End of story, I hope.

Thanks for explaining it to me. Very very sad story and just reinforces my feelings of never having guns in the house!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TruBrit
parents..huh don't think they know the meaning of the word..apparently the dad left his gun easily accessible and he's now been charged and quite rightly so in my mind
Im just surprised (naively perhaps) because I have two small kids and their backpacks are checked everyday to make sure that they have everything they need!

Makes me wonder why some people have kids - if they arent going to care for them. I hope the dad is charged and spends a great deal of time in jail and the poor kid gets the counselling he needs - even to the point of authorities taking a look at the homelife of this poor kid!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:37 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I thought in the UK you had to have the gun and the bullets secured in two different places in the house and have this inspected, is it not similar here? although in this case it wouldn't matter if the father was a criminal.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
I thought in the UK you had to have the gun and the bullets secured in two different places in the house and have this inspected, is it not similar here? although in this case it wouldn't matter if the father was a criminal.
I know that's true for transporting firearms in some states, but it's probably not the case in your own home.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

walking past a pick-up in the parking lot yesterday i could see inside the drivers cab two rifles proudly displayed and a spare one just laying on the pax seat...
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britontour
Certainly not so in Florida, and most other states. You can store a firearm loaded but, in 19 states (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas (through judicial ruling), Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin. In addition, some cities have enacted local CAP ordinances including Elgin and Aurora, Illinois; Houston, Texas; Wichita, Kansas; and Baltimore, Maryland), you are wholly responsible for it if a child gains access from an improperly stored weapon under Child Access Prevention (CAP) laws.

If you reasonably beleieve that no child could have access to it (ie you live on your own) then you can leave it loaded on your coffee table if you want.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I've got 3 points to make on this:

1) As the law stands if the father secured the weapon and the kid took it without his permission by, say, breaking open a locked cupboard to get it, then the father is not guilty of anything. If, however, he left it laying around loaded then he is.

2) Also, if the father is a convicted felon then he is federeally banned from having firearms anyway (not that that stops them of course, after all since when did criminals start obeying laws?)

3) If the child had taken a kitchen knife and snuck it into his bag then proceeded to stab another kid at school would there be a sudden ruckass about the disgraceful availability of kitchen knives to children?
About 3). Example goes back to parents being responsible and putting such items out of reach of children AND teaching them that they can be dangerous. However, unlike a kitchen knife, a gun pretty much has a single use and that is to kill, unlike a kitchen knife whose main purpose is not.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celsius
About 3). Example goes back to parents being responsible and putting such items out of reach of children AND teaching them that they can be dangerous. However, unlike a kitchen knife, a gun pretty much has a single use and that is to kill, unlike a kitchen knife whose main purpose is not.
Doesnt matter what the objects prime purpose is (although I could show you a few knives whose prime purpose IS to kill). It's how it can be used. My point being parental responsibility should cover everything. My kids had "Dont run with scissors" and "Never play with knives" drummed into them the same as they have gun safety drummed into them rather then hiding the knives and hoping they never find them or pretending guns dont exist.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt matter what the objects prime purpose is (although I could show you a few knives whose prime purpose IS to kill). It's how it can be used. My point being parental responsibility should cover everything. My kids had "Dont run with scissors" and "Never play with knives" drummed into them the same as they have gun safety drummed into them rather then hiding the knives and hoping they never find them or pretending guns dont exist.
Clearly, parents should be responsible for their children but children can't always be in the presence of their parents. Also, what if the parents give the impression that it's "cool" to be seen with firearms or the the child and his/her parents watch movies/TV shows featuring firearms? That would tend to give the implicit impression that guns are OK...
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Clearly, parents should be responsible for their children but children can't always be in the presence of their parents. Also, what if the parents give the impression that it's "cool" to be seen with firearms or the the child and his/her parents watch movies/TV shows featuring firearms? That would tend to give the implicit impression that guns are OK...
Guns are "Ok". They are ok for the correct job in the correct situation like any tool. Irresponsible tw@ts are not ok.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it seems just fine any time to show Gun's and killing on the telly, but heaven forbid no tit's or bare bum's
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh it seems just fine any time to show Gun's and killing on the telly, but heaven forbid no tit's or bare bum's
I used to watch war films on BBC on a sunday afternoon in the UK but I had to sneak a peek at the smut when ever no-one was watching.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic

lol that always makes me larff...so crazy
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

3) If the child had taken a kitchen knife and snuck it into his bag then proceeded to stab another kid at school would there be a sudden ruckass about the disgraceful availability of kitchen knives to children?

I think we need an immediate federal law forbidding all day care children from carrying knives to day care. Might as well include baseball bats. And billy clubs. And tree branches or sticks. And pieces of pipe. And.....
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I used to watch war films on BBC on a sunday afternoon in the UK but I had to sneak a peek at the smut when ever no-one was watching.
I know what you mean nothing much wrong with a good war film But Tit's and just Bum's is not really smut in my book, we only have to go on holiday back home to see that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.