Reload this Page >

So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

Originally Posted by Pony
Ah! Saw the fallen ones They are usually very brittle, I am able to snap them to small enough pieces to fit in the green trash can by hand. I started wearing ranchers gloves now though, the fronds are unbelievably sharp (as my pierced hand bears testament to).

L.A. holds no appeal for me. I am happier in a small town. The daily grind of the traffic has taken its toll. The 405 is like a minefield during commute time. Some idiot totaled my first truck (it had 1,400 miles on it - but the insurance paid out in full). My Systems Administrator's truck was totaled on Friday. Too many idiots not paying attention. You can only defensive drive so much - a moron will always out maneuver you
I am counting the days until we move from L.A. This time next year we hope to be settled on a nice plot of land, finally having our horses at home (and not the current hours drive away in Malibu).

We have been to some great shows here in L.A., but we can visit a city from almost any small town.
Hi:

The fronds in my area tend to be big suckers and I have to use a saw. I too, use gloves to avoid those spikes on the edge.

You actually USE the 405? For god's sake, why would you do that! One of the reasons I live where I do is that I don't have to take the freeway to work and I can use public transit a lot. My office in Hollywood is at the Hollywood/Vine Red Line station, Immigration Court is at the Pershing Square Station and CIS is Union Station. If I lust for one of the best corn beef sandwiches in the country, I get off at the Alvarado station to stop in at Langers.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:53 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I live 0.7 miles from the animal hospital my wife is working as an intern at. I work down near Long Beach. We had a choice - I commute, she commutes, or we both commute. I decided it would be better if we lived as close as possible to where she would be working. She can walk to work, or take the car if she is going to be coming home late at night. She works 14 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week (its criminal - a fully qualified doctor working all those hours for just $40k; apparently its all part of 'paying your dues', and an essential step to landing a residency later this year.

I take the 'reverse' commute on the 405 (thankfully I am commuting out of LA in the morning, and back in at night). Leaving home at 7 a.m. means I can get to Long Beach in 40 minutes. The commute home takes 1.5 hours regardless as to what time I leave the office (usually a lot longer on Fridays, when lots of people head in to central LA or use the 405 to get out of town - Fridays are a killer). I only use the 405 on the way home until I get to La Cienega Blvd - it melts to a total gridlock at this point. Taking Sepulveda all the way from here is pretty easy going.

I'll check out Langers!

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
You actually USE the 405? For god's sake, why would you do that! One of the reasons I live where I do is that I don't have to take the freeway to work and I can use public transit a lot. My office in Hollywood is at the Hollywood/Vine Red Line station, Immigration Court is at the Pershing Square Station and CIS is Union Station. If I lust for one of the best corn beef sandwiches in the country, I get off at the Alvarado station to stop in at Langers.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pony
I live 0.7 miles from the animal hospital my wife is working as an intern at. I work down near Long Beach. We had a choice - I commute, she commutes, or we both commute. I decided it would be better if we lived as close as possible to where she would be working. She can walk to work, or take the car if she is going to be coming home late at night. She works 14 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week (its criminal - a fully qualified doctor working all those hours for just $40k; apparently its all part of 'paying your dues', and an essential step to landing a residency later this year.

I take the 'reverse' commute on the 405 (thankfully I am commuting out of LA in the morning, and back in at night). Leaving home at 7 a.m. means I can get to Long Beach in 40 minutes. The commute home takes 1.5 hours regardless as to what time I leave the office (usually a lot longer on Fridays, when lots of people head in to central LA or use the 405 to get out of town - Fridays are a killer). I only use the 405 on the way home until I get to La Cienega Blvd - it melts to a total gridlock at this point. Taking Sepulveda all the way from here is pretty easy going.

I'll check out Langers!
Hi:

Totally understand. I did a reverse commute myself from 1988 to 1990 to Irvine from 90027. A lot of books on tape. The "South Bay Curve" is one those areas that used to be worse -- the reduction and eventual demise of Douglas Aircraft made for an improvement on that part of the 405.

Unfortunately, Langers now has pretty short hours.