Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:13 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

I awoke to a garden full of fronds (1st pic) from the rather large palm tree at the front of our house. I was p!ssed I had to break them all down to fit in the ridiculously small green trash can that the city provides. Once of the fronds had fallen on to a lawn sprinkler and broken it. I headed down the street to the home improvement centre to get a new one, feeling hard done by; that was until I saw my neighbors front garden, maybe 15 houses down the road from me (2nd pic). Maybe my yard work was easy after all
Attached Thumbnails So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all-img_0131.jpg   So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all-img_0139.jpg  
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:20 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all

Just go and put your mess onto that tree, I am sure they won't notice a few more leaves...
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:25 pm

I like your thinking

Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Just go and put your mess onto that tree, I am sure they won't notice a few more leaves...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:39 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Bloomin' 'eck! Defo go and add to their mess.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony View Post
I awoke to a garden full of fronds (1st pic) from the rather large palm tree at the front of our house. I was p!ssed I had to break them all down to fit in the ridiculously small green trash can that the city provides. Once of the fronds had fallen on to a lawn sprinkler and broken it. I headed down the street to the home improvement centre to get a new one, feeling hard done by; that was until I saw my neighbors front garden, maybe 15 houses down the road from me (2nd pic). Maybe my yard work was easy after all
Bars on the windows???
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I was trying to figure out what neighborhood you are in. Sure is not the Valley. I'm live 90027 and work in 90028 and I think you might or might not be nearby.

The palm fronds bother me for a particular reason -- it from the tree two diagnal to the back of my lot -- as you know they tend to come down in the wind. Get a saw and cut them. BTW, when fire season comes, I'd rather have those fronds not up in the tree.

By the way, those two little ficus trees will take over everything within 15 years. Just you wait. Those suckers grow fast.

Also, if you are anywhere near a fire area, you really don't want those Italian Cypress adjacent to the house.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jan 14th 2008 at 5:03 am.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by veryfunny View Post
Bars on the windows???
Hi:

They were more popular in the past -- I see fewer of them -- but more alarm systems. I've removed most of the ones that were on my house when we bought the place.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla View Post
Hi:

They were more popular in the past -- I see fewer of them -- but more alarm systems. I've removed most of the ones that were on my house when we bought the place.
When I see bars on the windows in a neighborhood, to me it screams high crime area, also a fire hazard. Scary stuff.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:52 pm

Its an old spanish style house, and this was apparently the style. It allows you to leave your windows open while you are out. For fire regulations each bedroom has a lever on the inside. In the event of a fire you turn the lever and the window bars swing open allowing escape.

I live in Los Angeles, so take from that what you will. The area is affluent (the house across the street is on the market for $1.5 million, but homes usually go for $750 to $1.2 million - I think that home is overpriced), but you are never too far away from a high crime area. Most homes on the street have bars, and alarms. Welcome to Los Angeles

When I see bars on the windows in a neighborhood, to me it screams high crime area, also a fire hazard. Scary stuff.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:58 pm

I live in 90025
I was trying to figure out what neighborhood you are in. Sure is not the Valley. I'm live 90027 and work in 90028 and I think you might or might not be nearby.

see attached picture - no way in hell I am climbing that palm tree.
It is a rental home. Even though she demands $3,500 a month, she does little more than send the gardeners once a fortnight - and they won't climb it either
The palm fronds bother me for a particular reason -- it from the tree two diagnal to the back of my lot -- as you know they tend to come down in the wind. Get a saw and cut them.
Attached Thumbnails So maybe a few fallen fronds wasn't so bad after all-photo.jpg  
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Its an old spanish style house, and this was apparently the style. It allows you to leave your windows open while you are out. For fire regulations each bedroom has a lever on the inside. In the event of a fire you turn the lever and the window bars swing open allowing escape.

I live in Los Angeles, so take from that what you will. The area is affluent (the house across the street is on the market for $1.5 million, but homes usually go for $750 to $1.2 million - I think that home is overpriced), but you are never too far away from a high crime area. Most homes on the street have bars, and alarms. Welcome to Los Angeles
Thanks but I thought the bay area house prices were higher? Plus, I did not know about the fire escapes. I certainly have learned something new today. I am still scratching my head to understand why an area with bars on the windows of a house, would attract buyers.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 4:53 am
Account Closed

I live in 90025

see attached picture - no way in hell I am climbing that palm tree.
It is a rental home. Even though she demands $3,500 a month, she does little more than send the gardeners once a fortnight - and they won't climb it either
Hi:

UCLA/Westwood is a nice area on the Westside -- my house had not only bars, but an alarm system, with sensors on the entry to the attic over the kitchen [entry from an upstairs bedroom]. All the barred windows had alarm screens, and two downstairs windows had not only the bars, alarm screen but ALSO touch pads under the carpet! The pads went first since we ripped out the carpets to expose the original hardwood floor. [Four years later we removed the ugly MARBLE laid over the original hardwood! We have done a lot of work to undo the ugly "remodels" and after 12 years the house finally looks like the original "style"]. We have disposed of most of the bars in the meanwhile, and the new alarm system has infra-red perimeter sensors and the alarm company is instructed not to call the cops unless an interior sensor goes off within 5 minutes. I'm not really worried about home invasions as much as about burglary when we are not home.

On the palm fronds -- I did not suggest you climb the tree. I was talking about the fronds on the ground. It is bloody dangerous to actually trim back those trees, even arborists don't care to do them! BTW, we had one palm, but it was growing into the power lines. DWP went to enforce their easment. Since topping the living stuff at the top of a palm kills it, DWP offered to leave a four foot high stump rather than leaving a naked 25 foot high stick. Although the stump is still there 9 years later, the removal of the palm allowed the bougainvilla to really grow so we can't even see the stump anymore!

I love LA.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Thanks but I thought the bay area house prices were higher? Plus, I did not know about the fire escapes. I certainly have learned something new today. I am still scratching my head to understand why an area with bars on the windows of a house, would attract buyers.
Hi:

Many people consider the Westside to be quite desirable. I've owned my house long enough that I won't tell Pony what my monthly "mortgage" payment is -- I don't like to upset people. We won't even get into the inequities imposed by Proposition 13 on property tax assessments.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:55 pm

Ah! Saw the fallen ones They are usually very brittle, I am able to snap them to small enough pieces to fit in the green trash can by hand. I started wearing ranchers gloves now though, the fronds are unbelievably sharp (as my pierced hand bears testament to).

L.A. holds no appeal for me. I am happier in a small town. The daily grind of the traffic has taken its toll. The 405 is like a minefield during commute time. Some idiot totaled my first truck (it had 1,400 miles on it - but the insurance paid out in full). My Systems Administrator's truck was totaled on Friday. Too many idiots not paying attention. You can only defensive drive so much - a moron will always out maneuver you
I am counting the days until we move from L.A. This time next year we hope to be settled on a nice plot of land, finally having our horses at home (and not the current hours drive away in Malibu).

We have been to some great shows here in L.A., but we can visit a city from almost any small town.

Hi:

UCLA/Westwood is a nice area on the Westside -- my house had not only bars, but an alarm system, with sensors on the entry to the attic over the kitchen [entry from an upstairs bedroom]. All the barred windows had alarm screens, and two downstairs windows had not only the bars, alarm screen but ALSO touch pads under the carpet! The pads went first since we ripped out the carpets to expose the original hardwood floor. [Four years later we removed the ugly MARBLE laid over the original hardwood! We have done a lot of work to undo the ugly "remodels" and after 12 years the house finally looks like the original "style"]. We have disposed of most of the bars in the meanwhile, and the new alarm system has infra-red perimeter sensors and the alarm company is instructed not to call the cops unless an interior sensor goes off within 5 minutes. I'm not really worried about home invasions as much as about burglary when we are not home.

On the palm fronds -- I did not suggest you climb the tree. I was talking about the fronds on the ground. It is bloody dangerous to actually trim back those trees, even arborists don't care to do them! BTW, we had one palm, but it was growing into the power lines. DWP went to enforce their easment. Since topping the living stuff at the top of a palm kills it, DWP offered to leave a four foot high stump rather than leaving a naked 25 foot high stick. Although the stump is still there 9 years later, the removal of the palm allowed the bougainvilla to really grow so we can't even see the stump anymore!

I love LA.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This time next year we hope to be settled on a nice plot of land, finally having our horses at home (and not the current hours drive away in Malibu).
We just had a drive down from Oregon to Sonora Mexico in December and I fell in love with California all over again.. your post reminded me of how beautiful the trip up the 101 was.. we stayed over in Ukiah and I had a flood of happy memories of holidays and working trips with the family over that way.. riding out through the Parducci vineyards when they were about the only one growing vines out there... all over those hills. It's amazing that so much beautiful land is right there, and not that far from the city, as you say.

I covet your Cypress , but mostly because they won't flourish here (they have way outgrown that house!). And the oleander in my garden need a stern scolding from their California cousins.. to show them how to get BIG!

Anyway, carry on.. just had a romantic horsey moment there ..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.