Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So many options...

So many options...

Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

guitarman001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So many options...

OK, I've read a couple of threads and will continue to search, but there are so many options here regarding US residency! Here's the deal:

UK resident with possible job offer from a tech company in California. If it were only me I reckon it'd be easier BUT I have a long-term girlfriend of 7 years who I'd plan to quickly marry prior to coming to the US. How does that work regarding (work - H1B) VISAs, and do you think that would put the company off (I'm not leaving her behind!)?

I guess I'll have to look into medical insurance for her; hopefully she'd be covered by whatever the company offers...

Thanks in advance - I'll keep reading the introductory posts.

EDIT - what do you reckon is a good salary for living near Silicon Valley - $120k+?

Last edited by guitarman001; Jan 18th 2014 at 9:23 am.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many options...

Originally Posted by guitarman001
OK, I've read a couple of threads and will continue to search, but there are so many options here regarding US residency! Here's the deal:

UK resident with possible job offer from a tech company in California. If it were only me I reckon it'd be easier BUT I have a long-term girlfriend of 7 years who I'd plan to quickly marry prior to coming to the US. How does that work regarding (work?) VISAs, and do you think that would put the company off (I'm not leaving her behind!)?

I guess I'll have to look into medical insurance for her; hopefully she'd be covered by whatever the company offers...

Thanks in advance - I'll keep reading the introductory posts.

EDIT - what do you reckon is a good salary for living near Silicon Valley - $120k+?
Your job offer is just that, until they apply and get a visa for you all other questions are just conjecture. Getting the visa is the hardest part..
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Yes, so I gather! Does this mean I could potentially be waiting a whole year until there are enough VISAs again?
I read that the spouse VISA can be refused - what a nightmare! My girlfriend is somewhat older than me and you may be forgiven for thinking that we weren't partners at all - hope this wouldn't affect things.
It may or may not happen; I want to be prepared in any case.
Thanks!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, so I gather! Does this mean I could potentially be waiting a whole year until there are enough VISAs again?
I read that the spouse VISA can be refused - what a nightmare! My girlfriend is somewhat older than me and you may be forgiven for thinking that we weren't partners at all - hope this wouldn't affect things.
Thanks!
You would, AFAIK, have to be married for her to accompny you, and her ability to work would depend on the visa you were granted.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Not many options I can see...
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:52 am
Just Joined

OK, so the option (!) is basically H1B and spouse VISA, right?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

No. Spouse visa only works if you are a us citizen.

Last edited by RICH; Jan 18th 2014 at 10:19 am. Reason: if
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
A spouse gets a H4 visa if you get a H-1B visa. On a H4 visa, she can't work. Unless she has a criminal record or some other serious issue, H4 visas for spouses are almost always granted.

If you want her to work, you'll have to get the company to agree to sponsor you for a green card (she'd get one at the same time) and that would allow both you and her to work at any job for any company. How fast you can get a green card will depend when the company starts the application process and your EB (Employment Based) classification (EB-1, EB-2, or EB-3). EB-1 and EB-2 are current so that can possibly be quick (about 3-12 months) but EB-3 is currently processing applications from April 2012 but that can change and the backlog was recently about 5 years.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visa...uary-2014.html

Applications for H-1B visas start being accepted April 1 for work starting October 1. Last year there were 124,000 applications during the first week of April for 65,000 visas available and then applications were not longer accepted and a lottery was held to determine who got the visas. I suspect there will be a significant oversubscription again this year.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Michael - thank you!! Exactly what I was looking for - and glad to hear that H4s are almost always accepted! I really appreciate this, thanks so much!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Michael - thank you!! Exactly what I was looking for - and glad to hear that H4s are almost always accepted! I really appreciate this, thanks so much!
The best way, if possible, is to get a job in the UK with a company that has offices in the US and they will transfer you after one year. In that case, the visa is a L-1 visa and the spouse gets a L-2 visa and she can work. Also there isn't any quota for L-1 visas, L-1 visas are issued anytime, and you can start work as soon as the visa is issued .
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The issuing of H4 or L2 visas are a derivative of the H-1B or L-1 visa and basically is a formality and have never heard of one not being issued but suspect that is possible.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Hmm, I do currently work for a US company.. it'd be a relocation to the East Coast on approx $90k (estimated). Alternative is this new opportunity in Cupertino which I'm guessing to be $120k+. I actually think our disposable income will go DOWN but we're looking for something new, and better weather (though understand holidays are far less - I currently get 33 per year)!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmm, I do currently work for a US company.. it'd be a relocation to the East Coast on approx $90k (estimated). Alternative is this new opportunity in Cupertino which I'm guessing to be $120k+. I actually think our disposable income will go DOWN but we're looking for something new, and better weather (though understand holidays are far less - I currently get 33 per year)!
If they are willing to transfer you and immediately sponsor you for a green card, it might be worth considering. She'll be able to work so that will give you extra income and when you get the green card, you can then look for jobs in sunny California.

Try to determine your EB classification since if you are EB-1 or EB-2, the green card process can be very fast if they apply immediately.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Hmm, I will have to ask my current boss about this. Last time I mentioned, it sort of fell on deaf ears...

There is a dire lack of informed pay calculators for Massachusetts and California, no? All asking for tax rates etc - bit of a pain!! I want to know net amounts for a given salary to compare different states, and to compare US vs UK.

EDIT- this looks ok
http://www.adp.com/tools-and-resourc...alculator.aspx
So it says I will get around 63% of my gross income in California and about 67% in Massachusetts. In fact it looks like I'd be better off on a lower salary in Massachusetts ESPECIALLY given the unaffordability of housing in California. Lots to think on. (Not got the "pizazz" and weather we'd have in California!)

Last edited by guitarman001; Jan 18th 2014 at 11:24 am.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 11:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No salary calculator is that accurate, due to the differance in tax from one place to the next. City Tax, County Tax, State Tax, Federal Tax. It's a mess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.