Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So I received my sealed envelope...

So I received my sealed envelope...

Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

mattw89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So I received my sealed envelope...

Flying in to USA on Thursday.

I received my brown sealed envelope and passport with the visa stamped in.

(I am coming in as a son of a US Citizen, I applied u21 (aged 20), but I am now aged 22).

All looks fine except a piece of paper stapled to it, which says;

Now I am no longer a student, but I am sure they accept occupations change. However, the under 16 bit is causing me to worry, I have never been u16 at any point of the application and wondering if this will cause any problems during activation, anyone think anything of this???
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So I received my sealed envelope...

Originally Posted by mattw89
I have never been u16 at any point of the application and wondering if this will cause any problems during activation
I doubt it'll cause any problems. If the officer mentions it, tell him the truth: you don't know why it's there! Don't make any attempt to explain why you think it's there, and don't try to figure out why the guy who stapled it on put it there!

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You may have applied at age 20 but at what age were you when the US Citizen applied for you via form I-130?

This is where the the u16 comes into play. If your USC parent applied for you when you were under 16 and they were not yet a USC, your age was frozen at that point under the child protection act (don't recall the correct title).
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

mattw89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
You may have applied at age 20 but at what age were you when the US Citizen applied for you via form I-130?

This is where the the u16 comes into play. If your USC parent applied for you when you were under 16 and they were not yet a USC, your age was frozen at that point under the child protection act (don't recall the correct title).
My Dad married a US Citizen and was only nationalized when I was 20, so I never had anything filed before that age. :/
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattw89
My Dad married a US Citizen and was only nationalized when I was 20, so I never had anything filed before that age. :/

Well don't worry about it. Remember the moment you come into the US to register with the selective service. You can do that online.