British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   so how on earth do I approach this.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/so-how-earth-do-i-approach-815838/)

dfrbrowne Nov 21st 2013 7:18 pm

so how on earth do I approach this....

I am arriving in January on a blanket L2 visa as my wife has a company sponsored L1 visa.

I understand that I have to apply for employment authorisation once I am in the US and this can take up to 90 days.

This also applies to any work I could do for my UK customers via email, I am a graphic designer, I need to avoid doing any work until my authorisation comes through.

But here is the question...
I am employed by my own UK limited company, I am the only employee. The company pays me a basic salary every month no matter how busy or quiet my business is.

So what do I do for those first three months when I could be sitting in the US doing no work for anyone but my company still pays me my basic salary for Jan, Feb and March. How do I approach that one?

Do I just take no salary payments for those three months and put the company to sleep, hoping my regular customers will be understanding.

I new it was going to be difficult to persuade my UK customers that I could still work for them once I was in the US but this could be the nail in the coffin of any hope of that.

Maybe I should just wind up my business here completely and start again from scratch or find a full time job once I am cleared to do so. :confused:

civilservant Nov 21st 2013 7:21 pm

Re: so how on earth do I approach this....

As long as you do no physical work in the US before you receive your EAD, the rest is up to you, you can still draw a salary.

jeffreyhy Nov 21st 2013 7:25 pm

How about mental work?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11001982)
As long as you do no physical work ...

civilservant Nov 21st 2013 7:26 pm

*sigh*

MsElui Nov 21st 2013 7:30 pm

get your ead forms filled out NOW, and ready in an envelope to post once you arrive. They seldom take the full 90 days so if you get your skates on you may find its more reasonable.

also consider a 'pre trip' before the main move for the weekend- to activate the visa and allow you to post the forms - then you can return home - do xmas and get a few weeks working it for free. (this only works if you have your visa ready to go several weeks before you need it - we got ours in hand about 3 days before we flew so i know its not always that easy. bear in mind they may reply quickly with your biometric appointment so you need to give them a US address that someone will be checking and forward on too.

Noorah101 Nov 21st 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne (Post 11001979)
But here is the question...
I am employed by my own UK limited company, I am the only employee. The company pays me a basic salary every month no matter how busy or quiet my business is.

So what do I do for those first three months when I could be sitting in the US doing no work for anyone but my company still pays me my basic salary for Jan, Feb and March. How do I approach that one?

It's fine to receive a salary without your EAD. What you can't do is the physical labor.

Rene

jeffreyhy Nov 21st 2013 8:19 pm

There's that confusing adjective again. Not eveyone's "work" or "labor" involves it.

That aside, what a person can't do without employment authorization is be employed.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11002017)
What you can't do is the physical labor.

Bob Nov 21st 2013 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 11002069)
There's that confusing adjective again. Not eveyone's "work" or "labor" involves it.

That aside, what a person can't do without employment authorization is be employed.

Regards, JEff

Flicking a pen around a tablet is still physical work though :/