British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   So frustrating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/so-frustrating-925247/)

isi16 May 26th 2019 3:23 am

So frustrating

Finally arrived in Kansas 4 weeks ago and it's been the wettest May for many years lol Tornado first full day so it's certainly been interesting.. got a bank account with no problems. Cannot find a health insurance company that will quote as I'm not working and only income is by 2 small uk pensions. (One company will sell me a temporary policy that is ridiculously expensive, even by others accounts). Finding a house is also proving impossible. On route to two viewings got told not to bother as they had been sold! One today had 'roaches running around and owner was just sweeping them out the door-and it wasn't a cheap house. ....
wonder how long the shortest stay is before returning to uk! 😂

tom169 May 26th 2019 10:55 am

Re: So frustrating

I assume you have tried the health exchange for Kansas?

What you described about real estate is accurate for most "hot" markets. I remember when we were looking for houses and had to be willing to make an offer almost immediately after seeing a property... The day the property went public. I believe through our realtor we could see postings for "coming soon" properties, but weren't allowed to visit them until they went live.

Glasgow Girl May 26th 2019 2:49 pm

We live in St Louis, and yes the weather has been truly awful this year. But that will pass.

With regard to health insurance, so long as you have an SSN, as tom169 stated, you should be able to get insurance from the KS exchange, although it is expensive. As a reference point I have the cheapest Bronze level ACA (Obamacare) insurance from the MO exchange and I pay $600+ a month with a $7,000 deductible. No way around it I am afraid. However if you have a low enough income from your pensions, you may find that you get a health subsidy.

With regard to housing. We also arrived at a time when houses were selling fast,. We waited until November to start looking, and bought our current house in January. Not as much choice, but little competition, and we are very, very happy with our property.

Pulaski May 26th 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by isi16 (Post 12689151)
Finally arrived in Kansas 4 weeks ago and it's been the wettest May for many years lol Tornado first full day so it's certainly been interesting.. got a bank account with no problems. Cannot find a health insurance company that will quote as I'm not working and only income is by 2 small uk pensions. (One company will sell me a temporary policy that is ridiculously expensive, even by others accounts). ....

As Tom said, you don't contact companies, you go through the exchange. If you are old enough to have retired, albeit early, it won't be cheap, and the deductible (excess) will be silly - if you don't have substantial savings, a couple of medical incidents could wipe you out financially. .... I got an infected ulcer on my arm and blood poisoning, and ended up in hospital on a drip for three days and with very minor surgery under general anathestic. The bill was just over $20,000, but that was ten years ago so would be even more today!

Winston_the_Great_Dane May 26th 2019 4:41 pm

I've moved to the US twice now and it's maddening for the first 3-6 months.

are you planning to work eventually? Just asking as this will alter your view on health insurance a little.

for my family of four we paid $1100 per month on the exchange initially. Thankfully I've now got a good employer plan.

Look in the timeframe of 1-2 years for everything to be fully settled and it feel like home

W