Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

So, explain my credit score

So, explain my credit score

Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, explain my credit score

Picked up my lease car today, which I obtained through the VW expats scheme (plus co-sign from my USC wife).

The dealer showed us the paperwork relating to our respective credit scores... I have been here for a total 5 weeks since coming in for the first time on my visa. I opened a bank account and my wife added me as an authorised user to her credit cards. Haven't got anything in my name apart from the lease for the car.

My credit score is.... 801 - the dealer said this was one of the highest ones he had seen! Its higher than my wifes!

So... anyone have any idea why? I'm not complaining at all, just seems really odd!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, explain my credit score

Getting added to the other half gets you a score....AmEx transfer gets you a history.

Thing is, score alone means nothing, it's having a varied lines of credit, over time, building up history that counts for anything important like mortgage and insurance.

The wiki up top, it's a good starting point on explaining it.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 5:33 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends.... I have no idea of how you've scored that high.

I had a client who helped people raise their score (although it can be done on your own pretty easily too).

These are elements that contribute to your score: (that I can remember from the top of my head)

Debt to credit ratio is important (try and be below 30% of your total available credit)
Age of credit - how long you've had a credit line
Payment history - have you paid on time and completed your agreement
Spread of credit types (ie mortgage, Loan, credit card)
few negative items.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was 783 after a few months. Meant nothing without a history though. Only an amex transfer and a bank account though, and the former was close to maxing out for at least a couple of those months.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was about 650 after a few months of being on my wife's accounts, hers was about 750 after being in the UK for several years. Had a huge negative on mine for lack of history, it said -14 but I'm not sure how that is used to calculate the final number.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

There are 3 main credit ratings agencies. They each use their own algorithms to come up with a "score", based on available data. Whatever little data they have on you so far will give a score, which as likely too high as too low. The algorithms likely get modified as much as the data, so good luck ever trying to accurately explain it!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

is there anywhere you can check your credit score for free.
other than applying for and been turned down for a card or loan

thanks
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990 View Post

thanks
You can try going to www.annualcreditreport.com and check your report (not the score) with the three agencies. It is quite likely that you will not be able to though because you haven't lived in the US for two years.

The score is essentially meaningless to you directly. It has meaning to the mortgage broker or the loan officer but by itself it is meaningless. The report is all that really matters from your perspective and length of time is the biggest thing not on it right now that will count against you. You can't fake maintaining good credit for a few years.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by redarmy990 View Post

thanks
You can also get one of the three scores (the Transunion one) via www.creditkarma.com.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

porcupinejo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
You can also get one of the three scores (the Transunion one) via www.creditkarma.com.
I HAVE JUST TRIED THAT CREDIT WEBSITE.
IT IS VERY GOOD.

THANKS
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Getting added to the other half gets you a score....AmEx transfer gets you a history.
I thought American Express only do charge cards?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

No, they have both charge and credit cards.